gifts question

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is everyone opening gifts at their LO party? I'm just wondering because of the 2 first bday parties I've been to 1 opened and 1 didn't. The one that didn't it was an outside party with like 70 ppl so I can understand that but my other friend said it would be rude not to open gifts. Were having about 45 people at a restaurant and we only have 3 hours so I didn't want to take up half that time opening gifts but I know ppl like to see you open their present. WDYT?

[IMG][/IMG]

March 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We just had a few people at M's party so we opened the gifts but i personally HATE being a guest at a party and having to sit there for and hour while 50 gifts are opened... i'm sure i'm in the minority but that drives me nuts and it gets so redundant after 5 minutes

March 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
We are in about the same boat. Gonna be at a restaurant with around 40 ppl and we are opening gifts for sure! I don't think it would be a birthday party without opening gifts!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 29th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I know and then noone pays attention and I don't want to miss out spending time with everyone

[IMG][/IMG]

March 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends - I have been to both. We are having bout 50 people, but it is at a rec center. So we are doing cake and presents in the party room and then everyone can swim in the aquatic center.

March 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We do not open gifts at the party. Technically, it is bad etiquette to open at any party. We just don't because we usually have way too many people over.

Vi did open 1 gift at her party because my aunt kept pestering me about it. She likes to show-off what she bought though, so that's why.

March 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We always open gifts at birthday parties, holiday gatherings, wedding (hence the gift opening the day after the wedding?) So yup we will be opening while everyone is there. I love going to parties and sharing the excitment with them as they open my gift. Also I love to get ideas from others too!
March 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I guess well just play it by ear. Maybe while people are having cake we can open them and they can watch if they want.

[IMG][/IMG]

March 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess in a restaurant I can understand not opening them. I was just talking about this with friends last week though and we all really like it when gifts are opened at a party. Otherwise you walk away and never know if the child liked the gift!

But we don't wait until they pile up on a table and have an actual opening ceremony cause I can see that might be hard for some people, for example when one person can't afford as much as another person, or as a pp said, when all the time is taken up watching the child open a load of gifts....

My birthday child opens the gift as the person arrives and then it gets put inside (ie. to be taken out of it's own packaging after the party). But I personally think it's nice to open the gift and say thank you at the time!

Might be different for weddings and even large parties when there's so many people and so many gifts, but generally we have about 15/16 kids at a party with siblings included so there might be ten presents...so I think it depends on the size of the party and where you have it!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
March 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can understand not opening them being at a restaurant. We are probably going to b/c its about 30 people and at my moms house. But if we were to do it at a restaurant I would probably not do it.
March 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
If we were having a party at a restuarant Id definitely pass on the gift opening. but since we are having a party at home with a few friends and family, then yes, he'll be opening gifts while everyone is here. I honestly hate doing it, but my family insist on doing it, so we do it.
March 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can understand both sides of this. I have a friend who does not let her small children (under three) open gifts at their parties because she feels its overwhelming for her child and difficult for other small children who are guests. She does let the older kids open their presents.

I can totally see not wanting to do it at a restaurant. Typically we do b-day parties at home and we do open presents. Mia's party is at our town's Visitor's Center and I think we are still going to open presents but I'm not positive. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I personally LOVE seeing little ones open thier gifts. I think its fun!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I think its fun. I'll probably play it by ear though - if people are completely occupied I might not bother but otherwise I'll probably help Jamie open them while people are eating cake.

March 29th, 2011, 08:39 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We opened them, but there were only like 4. My family didn't even wrap their gifts One of my friends was pretty excited to see her open presents!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search