We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Abri stopped sleeping again two nights ago. Last night she spent the entire night crawling on me. This morning she was super cranky. She even cried when I was holding her. So I took her back into the pedi, and sure enough she has fluid and the beginnings of an ear infection in her right ear. This is her 5th round of antibiotics in two months. Just two weeks ago I had asked when she could get a referral to an ENT for tubes and they said that if she had another infection in the next two months then she would get it. I asked again today about a referral and got the same answer- next time. I should have insisted. The antibiotics last time destroyed her digestive system and her poor little bottom. The meds this time aren't as strong, but I'll be putting her back on probiotics just in case. The NP also said that her first tooth is making it's way up to the gum, which might be causing some pain too. I just want her to get back to normal!
Hey Courtney--we've been dealing with a couple of ear infections, and I've been taking Livi to the chiropractor. Our chiro gave me a copy of an article written by an M.D., and I found it online at this blog, so I would pass it on. I'm in NO WAY saying that this would necessarily apply to Abri, I just thought it was an interesting way to look at things, and this doc provides some good explanations about ear infection! Also, he identifies some ways to help with pain.
I would definitely insist on a referral. My dd had 3 infections in 8 weeks and they sent her immediately to the ENT and she got tubes put in.
I hope she feels better soon. Do you take her in to make sure the infections are clearing up? What I mean is the only way to know if the antibiotics truly worked is to recheck her ears a few days after stopping them. If you don't do that then you can't tell if she's getting a new infection or if it's the same infection and it's just not clearing up.
Interesting read Shannon, especially the part about how diet can play into it all. I think cosleeping really helps because she can at least get constant comfort throughout the night. I can imagine we would all be way more miserable if we had to sit up with her all night. I think DH would flip out if I tried alternative treatments including a chiropractor. He already thinks I'm a crazy hippy.
Amanda- we've had follow up appointments after the last 3 infections to be sure everything is clearing up. The first and second one were two weeks apart so they are considering it to be an antibiotic resistant infection. I think it cleared because she went back to sleeping normally for over a week.