Kolbie's Check up and Interesting Info

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Kolbie had her 12 month check up today and it was great! She weighs 21 lb. 12 oz and is 31.25" tall! She was just about off the chart for height. Her Dr. is always excited to see us because Kolbie is the only CD baby she has. She always wants to know what I've got her in She was impressed with everything and Kolbie is right on track. She did say that she should say 3 words and Kolbie only sort of does. She makes a lot of noise but it's not always words. She also understands quite a bit. The Dr. did say that if at her 15 month check up she's not saying 3 words we'll be referred to have her hearing checked just to be sure there's no underlying issue there.

Now for the interesting new info! The Dr. asked how Kolbie was eating and I told her. Kolbie gets 3 meals and snacks during the day as well as nursing quite a bit and some water and we just reintroduced milk again after the stomach bug she had a few weeks ago. She asked if I was going to wean or if I was going to continue nursing. I told her I wasn't really sure, because I'm not. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm just going to continue. I might be too lazy to wean I told the Dr. that she doesn't get much milk just a little with dinner or lunch or whatever she steals from Kaija. The Dr. said it wasn't a big deal if she had any and if she did have some it DIDN'T have to be whole milk. I need to look it up myself but she said the newest recommendation is that babies who aren't having trouble gaining/growing or other developmental issues don't necessarily have to have whole milk. She told me that 2% or whatever the rest of us drink is fine because Kolbie clearly isn't having growth issues She also said especially with nursing it's definitely not necessary for whole milk since there's a lot of fat in breastmilk still. So, that was interesting. I'm all for not having to buy an extra half-gallon of milk. If we can all drink the same stuff that will be much easier!
March 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome appt!!!! I was just thinking how TALL Kolbie looked in her birthday pictures! Are you and her dad really tall? How about Kaija?
I dont' know that Mia says three words either. She says Mama and once in a blue moon she says Dada but I'm almost thinking that its just noise and not purposeful. Like Kolbie though, she seems to understand a lot.
I'll be thrilled if the whole milk recs are changed. I never buy whole milk anyway...I just always use 2% for everyone. Mia still is only on BM anyhow. Although she DID take a couple bottles of formula for her brothers over the weekend when our four year old was in the hospital...
Great that your appt went so well!!!! Super excited for you!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 29th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great appointment! I'm glad you dont have to buy a different gallon of milk, i know you were wondering about it!

March 29th, 2011, 07:57 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
The 3 words thing kinda has me worried when we go for our check up. Clearly from my talking post we aren't even close to that. That is very interesting about the milk! We aren't introducing milk yet so I'm glad that I don't really have to buy extra milk just for her.
March 29th, 2011, 08:11 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Angela, we aren't that tall at all! Totally average! I'm 5'6" and DH is 6'. A few people commented on how tall she looked in her pictures. Kaija was 31" at her 12 month check up. I want to say she was 38" at her 3 year check in January. They've both been pretty tall. My family as a whole isn't very tall. DH's family really isn't either. It's weird!

I'm not too concerned about the talking thing. I do remember that Kaija was saying her version of Thank You by 14 months though and Kolbie is no where near there. Their Dr. did say that it's fairly common for second and subsequent kids to be a little slower to talk because they have older siblings that will talk for them. She has 3 girls and her third seemed to take FOREVER to start talking because the older 2 are chatterboxes
March 30th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Yay for a great appt!!! Peyton is pretty tall too, I'm interested too see what her height is at her 12 month appt.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a great appt! I've heard that about the milk, but I always forget to ask our pedi. I know a boy in Lily's PR didn't do whole milk since he was a big boy.

March 30th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nice appointment Kolbie!!

I need to ask my Dr about milk at our 12 month...is it probably more of BF baby thing you think? I'm a little concerned about talking too...we're still only saying "mama" and "dada" here and I'm still not convinced she knows what they mean!
March 30th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sounds like great appointment. She is very tall and just perfect! I didnt know that about 2%. we drink 1% and 2% would be a compromise. I will def talk to my pedi about it.
March 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
That's awesome!! Kolbie is a tall girl. Not to hijack the thread, but I've recently had to switch my 26 month-old boy into 3T clothes since he's about 39 inches! If Kaija is a tall 3 year-old girl at 38 inches, I guess that makes sense.

Anyway, my pedi said that if Lauren were a little bigger, we could give her 2%, but since she's still not on the charts weight wise, they would prefer me to give her whole. That is, when we do wean.

Congrats on such a good appointment and beautiful girl!
Caroline - November '12

March 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Another baby rocking highwaters with the diva! It sounds like her appt. went great. I never knew about the milk thing--but then again, I am so clueless when it comes to what I should give Alyssa since she's on soy and doesn't seem to handle whole milk very well.

Aly only says dada exclusively and maybe ba-ba (for bottle)...I think she says kitty and oh wow. I wouldn't stress about it--which (and this is why I love you) you won't My calm and cool mama.

March 31st, 2011, 06:08 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom was told the same thing at her last WIC appointment. I thought surely she had misunderstood but I guess not That's great though b/c we've always drank 2%. Definitely makes it easier.

Sounds like you've got a tall girl on your hands!

March 31st, 2011, 01:14 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad she had a great appointment!!

March 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
What a great appt! Kolbie is like 4 inches taller than Caleb.

Caleb does need to gain weight, so we'll be getting one gallon of whole milk for him, and then a gallon of skim for us. DH even joked about giving Caleb butter milk (totally gross, and he was just kidding, LOL) just because we're having such a hard time of getting weight to stay on him. But I can see how kids who aren't having any trouble gaining should be on 2% instead of whole.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
April 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am just now getting to read this. But YAY!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search