Cake Decorating Tips?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2011, 10:29 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Three weeks until Jamie's birthday. Oh my goodness, how is that possible?!?! So I've decided to be ambitious and make/decorate a cake and cupcakes myself (well, with the help of my mom and a friend). This will be my first attempt at something like this. Unfortunately probably won't have the time to practice ahead of time, but we're all pretty handy in the kitchen so hopefully it will go ok. I was wondering if you ladies have any tips for the decorating? Also can I do the decorating on Friday if the party is Saturday mid-day? I just think there is going to be waaaay too much going on for me to do these on Saturday. Will the decorations get slimy or do you think they'll be ok overnight?

Here are links to the cake and the cupcakes. My plan is to put everything on a big platter with the main monkey cake in the center and the cupcakes around it.

CAKE:
Monkey Cake Pan by Wilton

CUPCAKES:
Jungle Animal Cupcakes Recipe from Betty Crocker

March 31st, 2011, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Defiantly make up all the icing ahead of time, organize your work space, make sure you have plenty of room, and take your time. Have everything you need set out and ready to go. With the monkey cake by the time you are done decorating it your hands will probably be sore. Since I don't get to decorate very often every time I do a project like that my hands hurt, and I have to take breaks. I would also suggest using the wilton icing. You can get it at the craft stores, or walmart. I love the taste of it, and it is pretty easy to work with. I always do my cakes and stuff the day before the party because they take quite a bit of time to make, and I have other things I need to do the day of the part. Also that way you can make sure they get done before the party. Because if you do them day of then you might take longer than expected. I would make the cake and cupcakes Friday morning that way they have plenty of time to cool. I am sure there are things I am leaving out, but I think I covered most of the stuff. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

March 31st, 2011, 11:39 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I make mine ahead of time and put it in the fridge, then I don't have to worry about the icing getting warm and loosing it placing if I had put it on the side.

Other things I do too is a just use a ziplock bag and snip the corner inside of buying those costly piping bags. But if you want fancy designs in the frosting you won't have the tips? Anyway, I just just the ziplock. I make own frosting instead of buying. I don't like buttercreme and I also have a picky DH when it comes to frosting.. no lie.

As for as food coloring, use a few drops at a time to get the desired color. I've made some that have way way too much and they have colored mouths.

Good luck and can't wait to see the cake!!

P.S. I love the jungle cup cakes!! Adorable!
March 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM
sweatshirtgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Everyone gave good advice...I always bake the day before and decorate the day of, but you do get tired - hands, back etc. And it always takes me a couple of hours to decorate but I'm a perfectionist, lol! And I use the Wilton food colorings - they are very vibrant colors and gel so it's easier than liquid drops.

LOVE the cupcakes - too cute.

Visit my etsy store! http://www.etsy.com/shop/drurylanedesigns
March 31st, 2011, 02:26 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am doing the Wilton giant cup cake pan. What kind of recipe are you using for the cake? I am so confused on what to do. Cute ideas!!!
March 31st, 2011, 02:44 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
LOVE it! Looks like fun! I'd try my hand at decorating one but I don't have the patience to do so. LOL
March 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Baby Wrangler
Make completely sure it's really cooled before you start icing!! Maybe look up tips online, I know certain cake pans take more time than suggested! I'm doing the Hello Kitty one (wiltons) and it does take a bit more time than suggested in my oven. Each pan is a little different so it's hard to tell but have fun with it! Make sure you dirty ice it first so crumbs don't get in your icing, let that cool in the fridge before icing it with your tips!
March 31st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Dirty ice???

March 31st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Dirty icing is thin layer of frosting just to make a little layer over the crumbs before you put on the main layer of frosting. It makes everything smoother and nicer looking.

Good luck! I always bake the day before and then ice the day of the event.

March 31st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Thanks everyone! These are fantastic tips. I really appreciate them.

March 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those cupcakes are adorable! Make sure you post pics after they're done!

[IMG][/IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search