17 day diet

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2011, 09:01 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not someone who gets into 'fad' diets like Atkins or southbeach or only eating grapefruit or whatever... but I'm giving this one a go.

My mom bought the book and her and my step-dad started it a couple months ago. He has lost 30+ pounds and is basically at his goal weight, and my mom has only lost 5 or so but she weighs like 122 pounds so she really didn't have much to lose.

I am just not losing any weight. DH & I have been doing P90X every day... so we are working out HARD for an hour every day of the week. I went from eating fast food EVERY SINGLE DAY to none at all and I have gained and lost the same few pounds over and over again. I FEEL better with the excersie so I'm not totally discouraged, but the #s have to budge sometime.

I crave sugar and carbs all the time. I am definitely eating better than I was before, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

So I am going to do this 17 day thing and if I don't lose I think I am going to have bloodwork done and see if pregnancy threw off my thyroid or something.

------------

The way this diet works is it changes every 17 days through three cycles. The first one, which I'm on day one of now... is basically you eat unlimited amounts of chicken, turkey & eggs, as well as most veggies (except starches like corn,potatoes, etc.) and then 2 servings a day of low sugar fruits (oranges, peaches, any kind of berry, grapefruit, apples, etc.) as well as 2 servings of probiotics (pills, cottage cheese or yogurt) and then 1 serving of fat like olive oil or flax seed oil.

So basically I'm cutting out my two 'go to' foods -- sugar & starchy carbs like breads, pastas, etc.

Oh and also 8 8oz glasses of water & 3 glasses of green tea each day.

So I feel like if I don't lose weight doing THIS, then something has to be wrong.

Wish me luck!!

April 13th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck!

It sounds pretty easy but of course they never are! My sweet tooth is what's killing me lately. I just can't believe you weren't losing weight with P90X alone! Your body must hate you, lol.

Major
April 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Its really hard for me to be staring a cupcake in the face and not think 'screw it, i'd rather be fat forever' and gobble them all up! haha.

April 14th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! So you mentioned the first one, does the 17 day diet have cycles? Do you start adding foods back in slowly?

April 14th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslady&Dsmom View Post
Good luck! So you mentioned the first one, does the 17 day diet have cycles? Do you start adding foods back in slowly?

Yeah, I haven't read about the other cycles in the book yet b/c I haven't had time. But there are 3 cycles and then a fourth when you get to your goal weight, I think. And you do slowly start adding in things, like I think in cycle 2 you can have red meat every other day and add in some carbs (but you have to eat them before 2pm so you have time to burn them off) etc. and then cycle three you can eat more and then you go back to cycle 1 where you lose a lot, etc.

April 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Shannon, can you give me a sample 1 day meal plan of what you're eating? I'm thinking of trying this. I haven't read the book but everything I see online and Youtube and whatnot just boasts about how easy it is. How giving up chocolate and bread is easy is a mystery to me, but I might give it a try anyway

Major
April 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm surprised that I'm able to do this. I LIVE for carbs and sugar. That's why cutting it out is making such a huge impact I guess, lol. I'm normally not a 'restrictive' type person but I guess the rules here are so clear cut and its so clearly working that its easier for me to stick with it... and knowing that it changes every 17 days and I will see the day I get to have pasta or rice or bread or sugar again makes it worth it.

Here's what I've eaten today:

a few scrambled eggs (DH made them so I don't know how many I ate)
strawberries
lunch was a huge salad from salad express (a place where you pick your lettuce & 8 toppings) and it had celery, onions, 2 servings of eggs, cucumbers, broccoli, chicken, grapes and raspberry vinegarette dressing.
I had a cottage cheese/fruit thing

dinner we made fajita stir-fry ... chicken, mushrooms, onions & peppers all in a fajita seasoning.

I still need to eat another probiotic which will be yogurt, and even though I shouldn't eat late at night I'm saving one of the 'dessert' flavored yogurts to eat during the season finale of parenthood tonight, lol.

it sucks not being able to eat cupcakes and fries and all the JUNK that I want to eat, but its great knowing that as far as chicken, eggs, veggies, etc. I can eat until I'm satisfied so I'm really not starving, and I'm actually losing weight.

I do think its worth getting the book and giving it a try. (plus I'd love someone else on here doing it! LOL) the book also has recipes in the back... like I made a pretty delicious eggplant parmesean last week, and I ccould use the same recipe with chicken instead since that's 'free' too.

April 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Shannon?, whats the name of the book?
Since the last 2 weeks Ive been SUPER stressed out (they fired the sales manager and now Im supposed to manage my dept plus the other one for God knows how long) and that has totally spiked not only my need for comfort food but apparently my hormones are out of whack too.
Needless to say, I gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks! and Im not losing it as I would normally do

Ive started the Biggest Loser Workout plan but still, I think this will call for extreme measures

April 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Its called the 17 day diet

The 17 Day Diet

that SUCKS about you having to run things right now... I'd be stressed too, and I turn to food for pretty much every emotion.

April 21st, 2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks!!
Ill give it a try

Btw, I feel like a total fat@ss being achy all over from a stupid xbox game, haha (at least I can assume its working )

April 21st, 2011, 05:46 AM
Just bought it online for $10! Wooohooo!!!

April 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Where did you find it so cheap?

Major
April 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think I saw one for $11 on ebay but that didn't include shipping. Luckily for me I just borrowed it from my mom lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search