5k goal and marathon dream

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister and I just made a goal to do a 5K and jog/run the entire thing. I do go on the treadmill a lot, but I usually jog for 5 minutes walk for 3 and repeat. I really need to build up my endurance. I just wanted to post my 5K goal here to keep me accountable. This is a BIG Deal for a chubster like me. I have come a long way to even consider this!

I secretly want to be able to do a half marathon one day, but that seems so out of reach for a girl like me. Keep posting running girls, it keeps me inspired.
May 8th, 2011, 04:16 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Aw yay, L! I think that is an awesome goal! I will be checking in with you! Our next half is sept 5th so I'll begin training in June again and then we will be doing the princess half again so I'll step it up again n November. Right now I'm lazy bones keep us posted with your runs! I love logging mine bc then I really see the growth!
May 8th, 2011, 05:28 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
It's not unattainable at all. I started the Couch to 5K in March and I am now running 28 minutes straight. My DH and I originally started this because there was a 5K in September that we really wanted to be able to run the whole thing. Well now that seems so far away. We have actually signed up for a 5K on May 22nd and June 5th and are thinking of changing our Sept run to a 10K instead. I am hoping to do a half sometime next year. DH is 37 now and really wants us to do a full marathon for his 40th birthday. Not sure if we will be ready for that or not but we have definitely been bitten by the running bug.

When is your 5k? I would suggest looking into Couch to 5K. Even if you don't want to do that and just want to do intervals on your own, you can use it to help you decide when to up your running and lower your walking. Honestly, once you fully commit to doing it, you can do. It really is mind over matter.

Start posting in the running thread!!

May 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
YAY Loni!!! I am excited to have another runner join us.

Listen - no one is "born" a runner. Everyone starts somewhere. If you can run 30 minutes without stopping, you can train for a half marathon. A half marathon is certainly attainable for you, even by the end of the year (Jen - I am screaming at you too here!) I promise, the training builds you up. Don't look at the end goal right now because it does seem very daunting. Running 13.1 miles?? Running for 2.5 hours without stopping?? Yeah, even for me who has run that gets a little anxious about that. But the great thing about training is it will build you up slowly. First you get comfortable running 30 minutes. You keep that up during the week and push yourself on the weekend. Make your 30 minute run last 40 minutes. Then 45. There are so many different training programs, but you CAN DO IT!

I am so proud you girls!

May 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Ditto to everything A said!
May 9th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I can't believe how much harder it is for me to jog outside then on the treadmill. Maybe the cold Utah air has something to do with it? I'm just going to keep taking things one day at a time.
May 9th, 2011, 08:07 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Outside is definitely harder than the treadmill. I find it much more rewarding though. I get bored so fast on the treadmill.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search