How to lose weight without it affecting milk supply?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't seem to be able to lose weight without my milk supply taking a hit. I really hate my body and how I look but any time I try to lose weight, I have supply issues. I figure I must be doing something wrong because lots of people can lose weight while nursing. Give me some tips, please.

May 8th, 2011, 11:15 PM
~Constance~
I think the trick is to not do anything drastic. Don't cut your calories back by 800 daily or anything like that and don't start working out an hour every day. Try a 300 calorie a day deficit. DO eliminate fried foods, sweetened beverages, desserts and rich sauces. Cut back on carbs, sodium and processed foods. Don't eliminate too much dietary fat, you need it! Just try to avoid saturated fats. Up your veggie, fiber and water intake. Concentrate on eating healthy and write down everything you eat. Choose a moderate exercise like walking or yoga and do that 20-30 minutes a day.
May 9th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a really hard time doing this. It's been the same with each kid. Anytime I cut back on food or increase exercise, my supply takes a hit. I've been adding in a little bit of exercise (walking or slow biking) and have lost a little, but my supply is dropping so I need to be careful. I'm eating a ton though. Whenever the urge to do a run strikes, my supply is not good the next day and I'm only running like 2 miles so I have to try and stick to just walking.
May 9th, 2011, 06:22 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Myself and lots of other mama's on here are using Lose it! It is a website/phone app to help you lose weight. Basically you enter your age, weight etc and how quickly you want to lose the weight (ie. one lb a week or 2) and it will calculate what your NET calories need to be to do this. Your net calories are what you eat minus what you burn through exercise. I would highly suggest either signing up for this site or googling what your caloric needs should be to lose weight.

However, with not wanting your milk supply to dip I would make sure to do the following:
-Add at least 300-500 calories to your limit everyday to factor in breastfeeding (You can either do this by adding it to your budget or adding breastfeeding as exercise). 300-500 is just an estimate and you can play around with this number over time. If you still find your supply dipping, up it to 750 and see if that helps
-Only set it up for losing 1/2 a lb a week. If you do anything too drastic it will affect your supply
-Eat ALL of your calories. It already is set up for a deficit to lose weight and the more under you are, the more likely your supply will dip. For example, if it gives you a calorie budget of 1500, you add 500 for BF and then you go for a walk that day and burn 200 calories, you should be eating 2200 calories that day.
-Try to avoid super high intensity exercises until you have figured out how to do this without affecting your supply. Stick more with walking or other lower calorie burn exercise

Finally, if you don't have time for exercise or find that any exercise causes your supply to dip, focus on your diet. Eat lots of calories in the day but make it good nutritious food. Lots of fruits and vegtables, whole grains, proteins and complex carbs. Avoid fast food (no more burger king), pop, sugary snacks etc.

Sorry so long, I have struggled with the supply a few times over the last few months. I also take fenugreek at the first sign of any drop in supply and eat steel cut oats and that helps. Feel free to let me know if I can help in anyway Kim. PM me or give me a call.

May 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaBride View Post
Avoid fast food (no more burger king), pop, sugary snacks etc.
Haha, I have no desire for BK any more now that they canceled their yummy burger. I guess that's a good thing!

Thanks for the advice. I will give it another try. Also, my phone doesn't do all the fancy app stuff but maybe there is something online.

May 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
~Constance~
SparkPeople is a fabulous diet/healthy lifestyle site! I used it to lose 13 lbs 5 years ago and the site is even better now.
May 9th, 2011, 05:11 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Loseit.com is the website. You don't need the app, you can just do it online.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search