d&c

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM
shannonranee
so the drs office called today and said my HCG was 61,875. two weeks ago it was 19,800 - so the NEED to do a D&C right away. I said I have an appt next week to see the dr again we will discuss it then - had to tell the lady this 3 times. then I called my old RE that I used to see in MI - he is now at YALE. I told him everything I knew about my pregnancy then told him they say I need a D&C right now. his first response was "don't do it". he said there is no reason unless I am showing signs of complications that they cant give my body up to 4 weeks from the confirmation of a failed pregnancy to do an D&C (so that would be until June 6th). he said waiting that long puts me at no more risk for infection then doing a D&C does. He told me that most dr's want to do them right away becasue of the money they get for doing them (I know some might not agree with it) - but I love it how he tells me the truth about why drs say the things they do. He said he would never consider doing a d&c the same weeks as a failed pregnancy was confirmed unless there was an issue such as the patient being adamint they wanted one right away or the patient was having some sort of issues (such as starting to get an infection). He said as long as I am fine with letting my body take care of it then that is what needs to happens. He said if I decide to help it along then he suggests medication as the first line of treatment before a d&c. I wish he could be my dr here so anywasy I am going to push that I am not having a d&c. I really think my body will take care of it iself and I will know if/when that time comes that it needs help. I cna always change my mind and go for a d&c but one the d&c is done I cant chagne my mind and wish I had not done it.
May 10th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a good decision to me. I'm glad you have your old RE to talk to. He sounds like a good doctor. Again, I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

My Ovulation Chart
May 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you have a dr like that to call! Sounds like a good decision. Hope you dr dosen't give you any problems. I'm sorry you have to deal with all this to begin with.

May 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm glad you have a doctor who can talk you through these things, and give you a second opinion. I'm a big believer (when it comes to miscarriage) that the woman should have options, if their health allows.... Some people (emotionally, mentally) *need* it dealt with quickly, others *need* to let their bodies try to do what it's meant to do...

I'm sorry you're going through this at all ((hugs))

May 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
shannonranee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum2Gaby&Emersyn View Post
I'm glad you have a doctor who can talk you through these things, and give you a second opinion. I'm a big believer (when it comes to miscarriage) that the woman should have options, if their health allows.... Some people (emotionally, mentally) *need* it dealt with quickly, others *need* to let their bodies try to do what it's meant to do...

I'm sorry you're going through this at all ((hugs))
Thats what I think also. Sometimes Drs are too rushed to do things for their own benefit and not for the benefit of the patient. That is one thing I like about the dr I called - he just tells me how it is. If there is hope he tells me there is - if there isn't he tells me there isnt. He doesnt sugar coat anything. Plus he explains why instead of just saying you need to do this. Now if he would have said yes I need a D&C now then I would have done it - but why put my body though extra unnecessary stress when both physically and emotionaly I am able to handle letting my body see if it can do it one its own. It would be one thing if I was haveing either physical or emotional problems with it for the dr to push a D&C but I am not. The other thing is I looked online and my risk of getting an infection from not having a D&C right away (which is the reason my dr is pushing a D&C) is 3%, my risk of getting an infection from a D&C is 3% - so I am not putting myself at any extra risk. Not only that but years ago I had polyps burned out of my uterus and I did get an infection from that. I have gotten infections from every surgery I have ever had (so my risk of infection from surgery might be a little more than 3%) that also makes me believe that my body has a hard time healing from surgery. I know what to expect - one of my miscarriage was extremely painful to the point I went to the ER for pain meds, so it is not like this is new to me and its not like I cant handle it. I am just going to stick to my no D&C for right now - I will know when it is time if it is necessary.
May 11th, 2011, 06:30 AM
ipsa's Avatar Mommy Times Two
I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself and trusting your body. I'm sorry that you are in this situation at all, though.

thanks to Jenn for this beautiful siggy

[/url]
May 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Where I'm from they won't give your a D&C unless they have to. That the majority of the time it will pass on it's own. I wouldn't get one unless necessary, cause you never know.

Sorry to hear that though, I had no idea. I know how hard a loss is.

Thanks KELLY for my amazing siggggyyyy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search