Starting now...5 day pouch test

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2011, 05:56 AM
alleusion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'm the only one in the PR that has had a gastric bypass. If not, please feel free to correct me. I was weighed yesterday at my iron appointment at I'm at 192 . This is just over 47 pounds from my lowest, and roughly 40 pounds from my goal. At my lowest (145), I looked anorexic. I feel healthiest anywhere between 150 and 160. So...this means I have a MINIMUM of 32 pounds to lose.

This morning I started the 5 Day Pouch Test. It's my understanding that the first two days are the hardest, since all protein and other nutrients MUST be in the form of a liquid. I can have as much as I want, whenever I want, but it has to be a liquid.

So, breakfast this morning was the following :

Quote:
Mocha Smoothie by Andie Jamari
Page 6 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:
1/2 cup decaffeinated coffee
1/2 cup skim milk
2 Tablespoons vanilla or unflavored protein powder
1 Tablespoon cocoa
4 teaspoons Splenda (or sweetener of your choice)
5 ice cubes

Directions: Place all ingredients in blender container, cover and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Serves one. Per serving: 110 calories, 15 grams protein, 11 grams carbohydrate and a trace of fat.
I have to say it wasn't bad. It wasn't absolutely perfectly wonderful...but it wasn't horrific either. If I make it again today, I'm going to add more ice and less cocoa.

I'm supposed to be drinking water right now, but I have to admit, I'm having a diet pop. It's the Wal Mart brand diet cola, which doesn't have aspartame in it. It's not great for me, but it's not bad either...it's also not water. BUT...if I'm going to be giving up all carbs for the next 2 days, I'm having my pop dang it.

I could really use some support through the next 5 days. I'll weigh myself again next Tuesday at my next iron appointment. I don't think I'll have lost any weight though. The goal of the pouch test isn't to lose weight really, it's to retrain yourself in proper eating techniques...portion size, protein first, that kind of thing.

Someone hold my hand and keep me on track?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for the gorgeous sig

May 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're here for you! So much of eating for me is emotional (well, most all of it, I never allow myself to get 'hungry' really) ... so that would be really hard, but its essential! You've done this before... you can do it again! Keep us posted on how it goes!

May 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Well Day 1 is half over...I got some exercise in by walking the kids to the park to play. I had to climb on the structure a few times to make sure Tristan didn't kill himself. I pushed both toddlers on the swings and had to chase after Tristan when he decided it was much more fun to run in the field.

I came home and made myself another smoothie that I only had half of. This one was :

2 tablespoons sugar free banana pudding mix (could have been vanilla, but I thought it was banana)
2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
Less than 1 tablespoon cocoa
1 cup milk
10 ice cubes

It was super thick and I had to use a spoon. Then I made some sweet corn with chipotle cream soup. About an hour and a half later I noticed a huge headache coming on. I was breaking down and telling DH I was going to go have a bagel. When he asked if it counted if I made it into a smoothie, I knew I was being silly. So instead, I went upstairs and made some cream of chicken cup o soup. THAT was amazing and just what I needed.

Of course, now the carb monster is rearing his head again and I'm starting to imagine all the things in the house I could snack on. I'm wondering if it's time for the rest of that smoothie or some more chicken soup.

May 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww you can do it! Its hard but its only a few days. You will be proud of yourself once you are done.

May 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Yep, there is an end in sight and you don't have to be on liquids only forever. That's hilarious though about blending the bagel... totally my line of thinking! Hang in there! KUP!

May 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM
After last night, DH put his foot down and said I can't continue the rest of the week. I don't know if it was the lack of carbs or the shock of only liquids, but by 8pm, I was in some serious trouble. I was flushed and shaking and started seeing black spots in front of my eyes in addition to the awful headaches I'd had all day. I went to bed and woke up around midnight, and had my bagel.

We talked a bit about what he's been seeing as far as my eating habits. He says that it seems to him that I graze a lot during the day and still have normal sized meals...well, normal for me, small for everyone else. So, I'm going to watch what I eat carefully, have 5 smaller meals spaced through out the day and a snack at night, so that I'm not voraciously hungry in the morning. I'm also going to try to make an effort to get some more exercise in...even if it's just a walk around the block.

I'm going to try to cut down on the carbs and sugar without cutting them out completely and going into meltdown mode like yesterday. I'll weigh myself each week at my iron appointment and see my progress. I can't help but feel like a failure after last night though.

May 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You poor thing. Cutting back sounds like a better idea then quiting cold-turkey.
KUP!

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
May 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I think a food log would be a good idea for you. I'm glad your husband was able to give you some constructive criticism as to what he sees in your habits. If you do the log you may find that he's right and you a re getting a lot of 'forgotten' calories by grazing throughtout the day.

The 17 day diet that I'm doing may work for you if you look at your log and find that the majority of your calories come from sugar and carbs. I know my diet was basically all carbs and sweets... so even when I do weight watchers and stay within my points range, I don't lose... b/c I'm still just eating crap, lol.

May 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
So today I did a bit better. I'm still sticking to the theory of the test, just not being religious about it.

Breakfast - small handful of honey nut cheerios
Lunch - Broccoli Garden Soup with Parmesan cheese and 4 whole wheat veggies crackers
Snack - 1/2 peanut butter snickers...okay I needed chocolate
Snack #2 a few hours later - fat free pudding cup
Dinner - Sweet corn cream soup with rice and chipotle

I'm not counting my calories, but I think I did okay.

May 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM
be careful cause you ate like all carbs lol

May 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah it's hard for me to get protein when it comes to liquids. Tomorrow is soft foods day, so I get to have canned chicken (yay?), eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, and peanut butter. I'll add some mayo to the chicken and make lettuce wraps for lunch, eggs for breakfast, and probably more chicken at dinner.

May 13th, 2011, 05:08 PM
gina!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
popping in to say good luck!

i also eat emotionally and seldom let myself actually get hungry. i think it all started when i was pregnant with nathan. i would get panic-y if i didn't have some kind of food on me at all times. i keep putting off getting serious about things.....
May 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Today wasn't all that bad. Food for the day:

3 eggs and an english muffin
a mango / peach / banana / vanilla protein powder smoothie
chicken salad (canned chicken with a bit of miracle whip) on lettuce wraps
small lettuce, carrot, cheese salad
4 wheat crackers
red pepper and black bean soup with extra old cheddar cheese
macadamia nuts with cashews and almonds

The bad thing about this is my pants feel tight today. I'm hoping it's just pre AF bloat, but still...I don't have a scale here, so the way my clothes fit is the only way I can judge how I'm doing.

May 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Your food log for today looks good! Sorry your pants are feeling tight. Are you drinking enough water? Water flushes water so if you're dehydrated you'll hold on to it and bloat.

May 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
It's possible. Today, I kind of went back to eating normally. I'm getting sick, so I chose carefully. Breakfast and dinner were normal for me, but I did lower my portion size. Lunch was soup and crackers. I should be drinking more, especially with being sick...I'm just not thirsty.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search