Need opinions please?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I just signed up my twin nearly 3-yr-olds for a Music Together class. This cost $400, which is expensive in my mind. The only reason I bring up the price is that I feel like for this kind of money, the instructor could afford to be a little bit flexible - I asked if it's ok if I bring my baby to the classes (since I'm a SAHM and I can't leave him at home by himself, and he's too young to get anything out of these classes & would be strapped to my back the entire time) and her response was that I could bring him to a maximum of two classes, and after that she'd charge me FULL PRICE. Full price? Doesn't that sound extreme? He can't even walk, let alone sing, or dance around with scarves, etc. I'm thinking of dropping the class & taking them to Kindermusic instead.

Am I in the wrong here? Please be honest! I don't want to offend the instructor, but I don't want to have to pay a sitter to take the baby either.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

May 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is the class for kids his age as well? if it is then I guess she has a right to charge for him if he is there. If it is designed for 3 yr olds and for bigger kids he obviously wouldn't get anything out of it anyway and I don't think she should charge just because he is there. My dd has done Kindermusic, she really liked it, they offer it at her daycare/preschool as an extracurricular but it does get pricey after a while so we are on a break from it at the moment LOL
May 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't want to pay for him either. It's not like he's getting anything out of the class. I would switch to another place if there is one that is more flexible.

Also, this is why I can't do classes with Carly and it is SO frustrating. They all say no siblings allowed EVER, and since I'm a SAHM with no one to watch Sofia we can't go. Even storytime at the library, was for 2 yr olds and I couldn't bring Sofia. It stinks not being able to do these things with Carly.

May 16th, 2011, 10:07 AM
The class doesn't list ages, it just says "mixed ages". But I've never seen anyone there under 18 months; they just wouldn't get anything out of it really.

8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses

May 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are going to wear him and he won't participate, then I think she should be a little flexible seeing that you really can't afford a sitter. I guess the only downside is that if she does it for you, she has to do it for everyone. So I can see her point.

If you can still get a refund, then I'd consider dropping it but if you can't then I'd just suck it up for the time being.

I signed Julie up for Kindermusik as I've heard great things about it.
May 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoCarly&Sofia View Post
Also, this is why I can't do classes with Carly and it is SO frustrating. They all say no siblings allowed EVER, and since I'm a SAHM with no one to watch Sofia we can't go. Even storytime at the library, was for 2 yr olds and I couldn't bring Sofia.
I can't believe you can't take Sofia to storytime at the library, wow that's strict! I just moved here from another city... in our old city, no one would have dreamed of charging to bring a baby along. I had the girls enrolled in gymnastics at 3 different locations, two different music classes, swim lessons, storytime etc... this has never been an issue until now. Ben was smaller then true, but other moms had their babies along and they weren't being charged for it. It just seems wrong to me!

May 16th, 2011, 10:41 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
I can't believe you can't take Sofia to storytime at the library, wow that's strict! I just moved here from another city... in our old city, no one would have dreamed of charging to bring a baby along. I had the girls enrolled in gymnastics at 3 different locations, two different music classes, swim lessons, storytime etc... this has never been an issue until now. Ben was smaller then true, but other moms had their babies along and they weren't being charged for it. It just seems wrong to me!

Yup, it's ridiculous. It wasn't actually our town library, but the city library about 30min away. It was no siblings, no exceptions. Everytime I look into something for Carly I run into the same problem. Poor kid never gets to do anything. I'm counting down until Sofia is 18 months and I'll be able to sign them up for the same classes, for a little while anyway until Carly gets too old, then I'll have the same problem again.

May 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess I can see both sides. If the class is for "mixed ages" and the instructor thinks that a little one Ben's age "could" participate, then I can see how she would want to charge. BUT, I can also get that if you are sitting off to the side, holding Ben and not having him interact with the class then you shouldn't have to pay for him to just be sitting in the same room.

I personally would get a refund (if you can still get one) and do something that is a little more flaxible.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
May 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would get a refund and find a class that he can go to without being charged so much! Our music teacher in Toledo charged $8 per FAMILY not child (per week, plus a purchase from the cafe that hosted the class) I wonder if you could find someone who has an arrangement like that. I think a lot of stay at home mommies are starting to do classes like this, and they are every bit as good as the "name brand" classes.

I had a similar issue with The Little Gym. I was taking Eve to the baby class, and they told me that Jonah was welcome to stay in the lobby with their staff members, and they provided child care for siblings etc. Then Eve outgrew the age-range for that class and I had to move her to a different class. Well a couple weeks into that one, the teacher approached me and told me that Jonah was too little to stay in the lobby unsupervised. I said Excuse me, UNSUPERVISED??? I was told that he was being watched by a staff member and chilcare was a part of our tuition. He told me that it was just for the baby class, but not for Eve's NEW class. I couldn't bring him anymore. Not only was I humiliated, and angry that my child's safety was put at risk (they greeted him and engaged him when we walked into the door, no one ever told me they weren't going to watch him once I went into the gym area) but we really couldn't do it anymore. I had already paid and they said no refunds. Luckily they decided at that same time to have a class at 6:00 on Fridays, so DH can come home early to be with Jonah, or if worse comes to worse he can meet us at the gym since it's on his way home. But It's still a big inconvenience to have him come home early, and we barely have time to eat dinner and then we get home and it's Eve's bedtime and DH hasn't gotten to see her yet. It was a huge ordeal, and I let them know in no uncertain terms that if I could have gotten a refund we would not be going. Interesting how immediately following that I won a huge spa basket off of their facebook raffle, and got a sugar coated email about signing the kids up for the next session along with the news that I'd won. Inteeeeresting.

Sorry to vent in your thread, but my point is I know how frustrating it is! I hope you can figure something out so the girls can have a fun time at music!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Well I promise to shut up about this after I say this last comment - I think it's wrong for these people to be so inflexible after charging what is a LOT of money for a class that's like 6 sessions long. For my 3 kids, it'll be $600 - that's $100 per class, to do what they do at storytime at the library for free, minus the take-home CD. And, it's only 45 min long. I'm sorry, but that is just not worth it! Kindermusic was much less expensive, the teachers far more friendly and flexible, and family-first. Isn't that what these classes are supposed to be about, or is it just about making money?

I'm so fed up I'm starting my own Kindermusic class. I just signed up for the kit. Hooray! It's far less expensive than signing up all my kids, too.

May 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
shannonranee
I can see her point because if it is for mixed ages and she allows you to bring your 1 year old then she needs to allow all others to bring their other children as well. Although you may wear your 1 year old and keep him from participating a lot of others will not - and then how many kids would end up doing this class for free because they are just coming along with their sibling? Unfortunately there are too many people out there that would do something like sign up just the older child and bring the younger one becasue they have no sitter with the expectations that that younger child would actually get the class for free becasue they were just there and that ruins it for all those like you who just honestly do need to take along the younger child that will not be participating. I am guessing with her being that strict that she has already had that happen. I also do think that $400 is too much for a 6 week class.

The Kinderjam class here on bases charges $26 PER CHILD per class (which I also feel is a lot for a 45 min class).

Last edited by shannonranee; May 16th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
May 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck Lisa. For 6 classes that is so freaking expensive. I paid $83 +35 materials fee for 8 weeks at kindermusic (so 8 times) for one child.
May 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
wow, that's expensive - I wouldn't be too impressed with how inflexible she's being!!!

May 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They are being COMPLETELY unreasonable... firstly did they not even give you a sibling discount?
May 17th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am surprised there is no sibling discount too, or even a twins discount! A lot of classes like that have a twins discount, because they realize their choices are to make the class affordable for both twins to take, or neither of them will take it, and they'll get more money from one set of twins that way than an individual child. Just about everything here that I've signed the kids up for has a notation about prices for twins or multiple siblings. Maybe that is just my area though

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 17th, 2011, 10:13 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I do understand her position on it, like Shannon said. I would find something else to sign them up for.

I've decided to get a YMCA membership, and then my kids can do those activities. They have a daycare, so I can take one kid to a class while the daycare watches the other two, and the classes we want the kids to take also have evening times available. It's just so much easier with them spaced so close.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search