Getting Sad about Eve's Party

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was trying to find a place to have Eve's party, all of the park shelters were booked not just the weekend of Eve's party but also the ones before and after! I thought that was weird because we've never had problems finding an available shelter so far in advance. But that's okay, we'll just do it in our backyard and if it rains then we can go in the garage and finished basement (the basement is attached to the garage) Not my first choice, but what could I do.

Then I sent out invitations and all of the responses I'm getting are "Sorry, we have a grad party that weekend!" I never even thought about her being born on June 5th- that's like national graduation week. In fact, my own high school graduation took place on a June 5th! We are always going to have this problem. I guess we'll just have to plan her party way in advance from now on, and make sure we get invites out early enough that people don't commit to other parties.

Some of the people, I can understand because I haven't really seen them in a while and they don't really know Eve, I just wanted to be nice and offer the invitations. I can understand them wanting to do grad parties over some kid's party that they never met. But then there's also my brothers, my aunt and grandma (very much a part of Eve's life!) I feel like no one is going to be here who is important to her, everyone is going to be at other parties. And they know this one is important to me, so will her future parties all be like this?

Is anyone else having this issue? I thought you all would understand, having June babies too.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 17th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It just recently dawned on me that Abigail's birthday is around the same time as graduation/parties. I don't think we'll have much of an issue though since we are having her party on Sunday, June 5th. My DH works lots of weekends and usually only gets Sundays off during planting and harvesting season so that's why we went with a Sunday instead of a Saturday.

In your case though, I would expect that family members who are closely related like your brothers and grandma would choose Eve's party over a grad party. Also, if it's the actual graduation ceremony that's keeping them away, maybe you could just set it for a different time so they could attend both.

May 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sam's birthday is May 21st which just so happens to also be my friends birthday and another friends sons birthday, go figure LOL! so this year we had some "not gonna make it" RSVPs because of those 2 things, friend is going away for the weekend for her birthday and then the other friend is having a birthday party for his kid (understandable I guess LOL and we won't be going to that one either) oh well, not much I can do, I was sort of bummed but the people that really matter (family) will all be here so I am trying to just be "whatever" about people with other plans. We won't have the graduation issue, actually around here kids graduate closer to mid-end of June it seems.
May 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm having similar issues.... But Ashton was born July 1st but people ate traveling out if state for the fourth of July. Ashton's party is now 2 weeks after his birthday lol!
May 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
shannonranee
we didn't really have that issue with natalies - I thought we would since her birthday was easter weekend. However all but 3 people who said they were coming didnt show up - I was kind of mad about that (not that they didnt come to her party but that I made enough food for a lot of people who didnt show up or bother to tell me they couldnt make it afterall).
May 18th, 2011, 04:50 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our schools are out the week before and the university has already let out for us...but we aren't having a party either. Anyway you can change it?
May 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am having the same issue. I invited about 30 people to CJ's party on the 4th, and I have maybe 10 that said they will try to come.

May 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't even thought of this. Sarah's b-day is June 5th also. This year we are most likely just going to have a party with her at home. I don't expect anyone to come since in my case, no one really comes for anything. I'm sorry you are having issues with scheduling. I guess planning ahead in the future will almost be a necessity. At least at this age, she really won't remember anyway who comes, but unfortunately you will. I hope you/she have a great party.

My Ovulation Chart
May 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
All the graduations around here are taking place over the next couple weekends so I haven't had any issue with people not being able to come for Logan's June 4th party... infact I am getting more responses than I imagined!
May 18th, 2011, 08:40 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Noelle is June 11th, and so far we aren't having any major issues. There is a graduation that morning (local community college) that a sort of relative is involved in (the oldest son of the woman married to DH's uncle... does that even make him related??). But in our case, this individual is fairly removed from us, doesn't attend most of the family events. In fact, I sort of plowed over the fact that I knew a graduation was happening that morning and planned Noelle's party anyway. I figure people can go to one, or both and just make an appearance if they wanted. The people who are important in Noelle's life will be there, and that's all that matters to me.

Hope you figure out a way to make it all work.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
May 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well my aunt and grandma said that actually the other party isn't too far away from us, so they will be able to come by- but they'll have to bring my Aunt's in-laws if they do. They aren't the friendliest people in the world and I haven't seen them since I was like six, and they are really mean to my grandma, but whatever

I guess we'll just have to get over it and whoever comes will come. I probably could still change the date at this point, but I'm stubborn. Probably gets me into more trouble than I ought to have LOL

Oh, actually no I couldn't change the date because my mom took off work already. She only works weekends, but gets paid full time (lucky!) so any weekend that she takes off, a day is really equal to a week. So it's a big deal for her to take a Saturday. I don't think she was thinking of graduations either. Her birthday is also on the 5th so it is kind of a party for both of them

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search