Time Outs

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM
RuPaul-O-Saurus's Avatar Super Mommy
Do you think 11mos is too young for a time out? Daphne could definitely use one today, I just don't know if she'd sit for that long. What do you think?

Kelly, you are amazing and I love you! Thank you for the awesomely cute siggy!
May 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alicia could use one every day lol, but I doubt she would even understand what a "time out" is yet.....

May 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Carly didn't start understanding time out until around 18/19 months.

May 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
shannonranee
I personally do not think they are too young for time outs. Natalie gets them (even if I have to hold her there)
May 17th, 2011, 04:26 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think we started timeouts with DS when he was maybe 20 months? Actually, probably closer to two years... before that, he just wasn't going to absorb what the time out was all about, or sit there for the time. But kids are different - some kids might get it earlier. I know Emily has learned "no" MUCH more quickly than Michael did!

May 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are times when I still don't think my 13 and 9 year olds understand what time out means. I think that maybe Genna got a time out when she was about 2-ish. Not sure. Before that, I would just re-direct, possibly to a story on my lap but I wouldn't think that they would understand a time out at this age. Althought I can understand how it would be tempting at times.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
May 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't start using time-outs for DD until she was older. BUT if there were issues with a toy or if she was hitting me, sometimes I would give the toy or myself a "time-out". I'm not sure it had any impact though. She was a pretty good baby/toddler, so I didn't have many issues. I expect James will be different.

I like Lisa's idea to sit her on your lap and read to her. It forces her to sit with you, it gives her a break and a chance to cool down, and when you put her back down, she'll hopefully have forgotten what she was doing before and move on to something else.
May 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, good luck with that.
May 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I agree with re-direction

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

May 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Time out the toy, or whatever is like the natural consequence. I am a teacher, so I am BIG on natural consequences. Without know what she is doing I don't know what the consequence would be, but IMO time out won't sink in yet..
May 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
too young for time-outs IMO, but definitely not too young to say "no, we don't pull the dogs tail" etc & move them somewhere else...

May 18th, 2011, 03:39 AM
josie_24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too am big on natural consequences. I also think about a consequence being for a child to understand WHY they're being put there and I think 11 mo is too young for them to understand. Theyre learning right now and trying to punish them for exploring and pushing limits is probably going to frustrate you more than them. IMO

Thank you Kellarazzi for my siggie!!
May 18th, 2011, 04:48 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSimpleThings View Post
I think we started timeouts with DS when he was maybe 20 months? Actually, probably closer to two years... before that, he just wasn't going to absorb what the time out was all about, or sit there for the time. But kids are different - some kids might get it earlier. I know Emily has learned "no" MUCH more quickly than Michael did!
I agree with this. I think with Sydney she was somewhere between 18-24months when we did timeouts, I must admit though sometimes I think maybe, just maybe I should have started sooner her behavior at times is completely out. of. control! she has always been a spirited child (nice way of saying stubborn LOL) IDK somedays I just wonder if I made a million parenting mistakes and that is why her behavior is the way it is or if maybe it is just the age. If you can't tell we just had a horrible morning this morning that left me nearly in tears! JC 3 is a hard age......anyway enough of that, Sam does pretty well with redirection at this point but I think all kids are different. So in short.....I have no idea if 11months is too early for a timeout. lot of help I am
May 18th, 2011, 05:50 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Every child is different, but I really think its too young for this age to understand (let alone sit still).

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
May 18th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejo View Post
I agree with this. I think with Sydney she was somewhere between 18-24months when we did timeouts, I must admit though sometimes I think maybe, just maybe I should have started sooner her behavior at times is completely out. of. control! she has always been a spirited child (nice way of saying stubborn LOL) IDK somedays I just wonder if I made a million parenting mistakes and that is why her behavior is the way it is or if maybe it is just the age. If you can't tell we just had a horrible morning this morning that left me nearly in tears! JC 3 is a hard age......anyway enough of that, Sam does pretty well with redirection at this point but I think all kids are different. So in short.....I have no idea if 11months is too early for a timeout. lot of help I am
Oh mama, hugs! super rough, mom in tears morning here, too. man oh man. and i feel the exact same way as you, and can't help but think that clearly i have gone very wrong somewhere in my parenting.

but i still wouldn't put my 11 month old in time out. i might put myself in time out, but she just would not get it at all. I don't even feel like there are any situations that would erally warrant a time out right now with her. she's just being a curious baby. i really like the sitting down and reading a story idea. i might even try that with ds, maybe it would make me feel less like wringing his precious little neck.

May 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm View Post
Oh mama, hugs! super rough, mom in tears morning here, too. man oh man. and i feel the exact same way as you, and can't help but think that clearly i have gone very wrong somewhere in my parenting.

but i still wouldn't put my 11 month old in time out. i might put myself in time out, but she just would not get it at all. I don't even feel like there are any situations that would erally warrant a time out right now with her. she's just being a curious baby. i really like the sitting down and reading a story idea. i might even try that with ds, maybe it would make me feel less like wringing his precious little neck.
thank you! if someone would have told me how hard parenting a 3yr old was prior to having one I would have laughed, I am not laughing now! HUGS to you too! sorry to t/j
May 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jaxon gets times outs after the third time he trys to get in the trash can (his time out is sitting in his pack n play with toys for a few mins) he seems to understand cause once he gets out he doesnt go back to the trash (until the next day anyways! haha)
May 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejo View Post
thank you! if someone would have told me how hard parenting a 3yr old was prior to having one I would have laughed, I am not laughing now! HUGS to you too! sorry to t/j
I could have warned you last year. DD was an angel until just a few days shy of turning 3. It was the absolute worst year! If I hadn't already been pregnant, she would be an only child. But once she turned four, it did start to get better. She is full of sass and backtalks and ignores me and all that lovely stuff, but it's way better than 3. And of course I am just now getting a small taste of what my life will be like for the next 14 years.
May 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
harmstrong's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't start until around 18 months. My kids don't seem to get it before then. Until then the occasional tap on the hand, and "no" is usually enough. If it's not, then we distract. so far the word no gets Andrew and he will stop.
May 19th, 2011, 02:06 AM
RuPaul-O-Saurus's Avatar Super Mommy
Dang it, I forgot I posted this. LOL While I am not against the whole time out thing if it's needed I was just kidding about doing it so early. My days are spent re-directing, and letting Daphne find out what will happen (obviously in a non dangerous situation) if she continues doing something after I've re-directed and asked her to not do whatever it is that she's doing. Example: Today she kept trying to use a pile of laundry that I was separating to climb up on to our bed. Several times I re-directed her and asked her to stay away from the pile/climbing or she was going to fall....about 9 times later she fell. She didn't hurt herself but it scared her and she didn't do it again. LOL That is one of the reasons I hate doing laundry, maybe I can use it as an excuse not to do it from now on. hahaha Anyway, while sometimes I do wish that I could just set her in a chair or something of the sort somewhere, I am sure I won't be doing it any time soon.

Kelly, you are amazing and I love you! Thank you for the awesomely cute siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search