water?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2011, 07:17 AM
mudd1118's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is anyone giving their babies water?

Up until now my mom has been great in letting me do my own thing with the boys, but she's starting to stress me out by asking when I'm going to start with real food, when will I start giving them Cheerios, and "surely" I can start giving them water by now... She's not telling me to do it, but when she asks about it 5 times a day I'm obviously getting the hint that she thinks it needs to be done (not necessarily the Cheerios now, though I'd say she'll be pushing for it soon).

The boys will be 6 months old on Friday and I plan on starting them on baby food tomorrow.

What do you girls think about water? And is it recommended to give in a bottle or sippy cup?

June 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I've given Darcy some water in her sippy cup but she doesn't drink it often. Do what you feel is right for your babies. Sorry your Mom is stressing you out.

June 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't give my kids water until they're about a year. I think they get plenty of liquids from the milk/formula they drink. And if they're drinking water, they may not be hungry enough to drink the stuff they really need to be drinking. If it's really hot I will give him a mesh bag with watermelon or an apple slice or something to knaw on.

June 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiritup View Post
I don't give my kids water until they're about a year. I think they get plenty of liquids from the milk/formula they drink. And if they're drinking water, they may not be hungry enough to drink the stuff they really need to be drinking.
I agree. My mom went with me to the pediatrician when Isabelle had like a 6 month check up and she asked him about water and he said do not give them any til after a year because they get enough from milk/formula.

So Abi will not be given water until then.

June 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
Super Mommy
I've put water in her sippy cup just so there was something in it in case she figured out how to use it. It's more for practice than for drinking at the moment. She might have gotten a couple swallows out of it in the handful of times she's played with it.

June 1st, 2011, 10:53 AM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've given him a sippy cup with water a couple of time because he I just so interested in what I'm drinking. He doesn't quite have it figured out yet so I don't think he's actually drank very much.

He has his 6 month pedi appt on monday so I will ask what his doc thinks about it.

June 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've given Makayla some really watered down juice in a straw sippy cup just to kind of bribe her to learn how to use it so maybe I can get her to drink BM out of it since she won't take a bottle (and it worked..she's great at the cup now after only a few tries)...but I don't give water as a regular thing until a lot closer to a year.

June 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Riley has only gotten water when I'm drinking it and he insists on having what I'm having. He gets just enough to wet his lips and make a mess. I don't give him water in a bottle or sippy cup or anything.
June 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
hope4four's Avatar Veteran
My ped. says small amounts of water and juice are okay after six months, but they are certainly not necessary. I haven't given Amelia anything other than formula at this point.

*Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

June 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dean hasn't gotten water yet. MIL is always telling me that he needs it because it's hot but I just ignore her.

June 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
mommy_jackie's Avatar Jaide & Jo's Momma
My mother insists she needs water and that I'm gonna make her dehydrate since I don't give her any. I have a couple times in her bottle, maybe an ounce or less and she really likes it but since I don't think she really needs it I won't give her much. I've also given her prune juice watered down. And she's taken a few sips of water from my cup a few times since she must have whatever mommy has in her hand.

June 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
mom2myJo's's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No water for my baby until she is one. She gets enough liquids with BFing and her food. I do let her have 2 oz juice a day with a sippy cup.
June 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
simplycorey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyrket View Post
I've put water in her sippy cup just so there was something in it in case she figured out how to use it. It's more for practice than for drinking at the moment. She might have gotten a couple swallows out of it in the handful of times she's played with it.

Mom to: Kimberly (15), Caleb (14), Micayla (12),
Zechariah (11) and Frankie - born 1/3/11

June 1st, 2011, 11:04 PM
*Mommy2Remington*'s Avatar ~MommyTo2~
Even though Remi eats a like a piggy, he gets dehydrated super fast (here in AZ is already in the 100s* so its hott hott hott) I give him a total of 6oz of pedialyte a day in between bottles....so like 2oz at a time 3x a day. He got super dehydrated last week (2 wet diapers in 24 hours) so his pedia. recommended it, especially here in AZ. He LOVES it and it never seems to fill him up or make him refuse milk and he is much happier and isn't cranky anymore.
June 1st, 2011, 11:19 PM
*Momma2Nix*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to *Momma2Nix*
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mommy2Remington* View Post
Even though Remi eats a like a piggy, he gets dehydrated super fast (here in AZ is already in the 100s* so its hott hott hott) I give him a total of 6oz of pedialyte a day in between bottles....so like 2oz at a time 3x a day. He got super dehydrated last week (2 wet diapers in 24 hours) so his pedia. recommended it, especially here in AZ. He LOVES it and it never seems to fill him up or make him refuse milk and he is much happier and isn't cranky anymore.
Phoenix gets dehydrated quickly too so I give me him pedialyte. I tried to give him water once and he wanted nothing to do with it. Though my MIL is always trying to give him some out of her glass which usually just ends up all over his clothes.. Or choking him

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 2nd, 2011, 05:28 AM
Morgans Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Morgan really likes water, why, I have no idea. If she has been jumping really hard in the jumperoo or outside in the heat I will offer her some and she will usually take a few drinks. She refuses to drink it out of her bottle or sippy, will only take it from a cup. So needless to say she wears more than she drinks! Our pedi said it's OK to give her a little bit of water, but that she gets more than enough liquids with her formula.
Baking a Rainbow

8/12

June 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been giving Nathan water in a bottle since 4 months when I started him on cereal. He only gets it when he's eating solids. He absolutely loves it. The very first time he tried it he held the bottle himself (quite a feat for an EBF baby)! I do monitor how much he's drinking. It hasn't reduced the amount he nurses at all.
June 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bourne gets it in a sippy cup when we are out in the heat. his pedi said it was fine after he reached a certain weight. It hasn't reduced his milk intake
June 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not yet, I'll ask his ped about it at his 6 month appointment next week.

June 3rd, 2011, 05:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't give Olivia water until she was over 1 so the twins will be treated the same way. Giving them a little water here and there won't hurt anything so it just depends on how you feel about it. Definitely don't replace a sippy of water with bm or formula though. If you want them to learn how to use a sippy I would just put some bm in it and see how they do with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search