AAP sample meals for a 1 year old

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
BREAKFAST
1/2 cup iron-fortified breakfast cereal or 1 cooked egg (not more than 3 eggs per week)
1/4 cup whole milk (with cereal)
4-6 oz. juice
Add to cereal one of the following:
1/2 banana, sliced
2-3 large sliced strawberries
SNACK
1 slice toast or whole wheat muffin
1-2 tablespoons cream cheese or peanut butter
1 cup whole milk
LUNCH
1/2 sandwich – tuna, egg salad, peanut butter, or cold cuts
1/2 cup cooked green vegetables
SNACK
1-2 ounces cubed cheese, or 2-3 tablespoons pitted and diced dates
1 cup whole milk
DINNER
2-3 ounces cooked meat, ground or diced
1/2 cup cooked yellow or orange vegetables
1/2 cup pasta, rice, or potato
1/2 cup whole milk
Ok, how am I supposed to get to THAT when my daughter's complete daily intake of solids usually consist of a yogurt, a few bites of a cheese sandwich, a teensy bit of fruit and veggies (I'm talking like 5 bites of each here), and some cheerios?
June 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
diced dates? I don't think I eat dates.
June 3rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
*BabyMaMa*'s Avatar Kimber MaMa to Leah
that's a crap ton of food...I don't know if I even eat all of that in a day. If I put that on Leah's tray....2/3 would end up on the floor.

Feb 2012
June 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally-Mac View Post
diced dates? I don't think I eat dates.
LOL I think that's an old menu...I just found it online. I was looking in an AAP book this morning and I know it was a bit different (no juice for example).

Yeah, I was thinking that seems like a lot of food for a 12 month old! I know my type A hubby will be freaking out if she doesn't eat that much. He's like spazzing out over the fact that we are going to stop formula and we need to figure out EXACTLY what she should be eating. But maybe that's just the amount and variety food that should be offered? Ugh, so much will go to waste!
June 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do yourself a favour and don't tell him that a list exists. LOL

Then, let her eat what you're eating. Just use toddler plates, and let her guide you to how much she's willing and able to eat. I never measure Maggie's food. That seems like overkill to me. Maggie surprises me somedays at how much solid food she'll pound down, and she's even doing proteins like chicken, fish, pork and beef, and has been doing them with 3 teeth for a long time. Other days, she's like "meh" not that hungry. If you let her lead you, you can't go wrong. Just make sure you cook vegetables soft enough to be mushed, and dice things small enough to be mushed and swallowed.

My rule is (with very few exceptions), a protein, veg/fruit and a grain/carb at every meal. She gets juice/water with every meal. She rarely gets a snack, but when she's fussing and not tired, she definitely gets a cookie or fruit or cheerios or crackers or something. She even loves freezies.

Just do whatever works for you.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

June 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
mommytokem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's crazy, I just make sure that my kids eat balanced meals, my kids don't get morning snacks either because otherwise they won't eat lunch
June 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Lilly Bella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't put too much stress on it, please Babies don't overeat and they will most definitely let you know when they are hungry. They eat for survival, that's it. We eat for a bajillion reasons. Offer her healthy stuff at appropriate meal times and she will be fine, I promise.
June 3rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Mom-Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is a lot of food! Charlotte eats basically lunch & dinner, lately. For breakfast she wants a ba-ba and a handful of puffies, which Samantha steals half of. Lol. Now my soon-to-be 3 yr old eats like that menu, but Charlotte isn't there yet.

June 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy crap that's a lot!
June 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to madelynsmomma
Haha we are not even remotely close to eating that much food. Or really food in general. Bread, puffies, avacado, apples...thats pretty much what she will eat. Hasn't stopped her from growing yet, so I figure she will eat normal food someday.

June 3rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
KaiX2Momma
Keep in mind that just because it says for a 1 year old is doesnt specify exact age. A 13 month old will eat totally different then a 23 month old, yet they are tectonically both at the age of 1.

Also since the age of one is just a stage out of babyhood here are a few sites I like to use:

For Babies 8 months to 12 months old - Baby Menus, Baby Food Menus and Schedules for Solid Foods - Menus for Homemade Baby Food

and

Feeding Your 9- to 12-Month-Old: Meal Suggestions
June 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There's no way I could get Juliana to eat all that any time soon! She still gets over 75% of her nutrition from milk. I've heard the "food is for fun until they're 1" saying but now that she's approaching 1 I figure I better start taking this nutrition thing seriously. There's only so much we can do, though. I mean, if they're going to through stuff on the floor they're just not going to eat it.

June 4th, 2011, 05:27 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read somewhere that the kids' stomachs are roughly the size of their fists. I don't want to force feed him to the point he thinks he has to have that much at each meal.

Just feed her whatever you are eating (cut into small pieces and perhaps a little less spice if you use a lot of spices). She'll be fine! And don't show your DH that list... LOL.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
June 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I did show him the menu but I said this is an example of the variety of foods we should be offering, but she won't eat very much of it. LOL He was ok with that.

thanks ladies!! Yeah, it seemed like a LOT of food to me!!! Maybe *I* should follow that diet though, I would probably lose a lot of weight.

Minus the whole milk of course.
June 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
ZeliaMarie
LOL. I agree with everyone else. Also, some foods on that list I wouldn't offer my kids..like cold cuts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search