use clothing, how much.....

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2011, 06:20 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
do you sell your stuff for.... or would you want to pay for used clothing

name brand jeans, cute pjs etc?

I posted some stuff on Kijiji and some one wrote me to tell me to re think my prices

$4 for name brand jean and good pants.... others I will sell cheaper
$5 for sets of 3 cute pjs...... some pjs i will sell for $1
$2 for shirts ... some will be $3 other will be less

and i said if they want to buy alot I would do better deals

this particular person said she got 300 plus items of carter gap oshosh clothing for $80.... is that realistic of most second hand sales.... I am in Canada

thanks girls

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
July 6th, 2011, 06:29 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
I think your prices are fine. I think the price she is talking about is for a "lot", so you buy the whole thing not knowing what you are getting and I think when you do that you usually get a few good things and lots of stuff you wouldn't wear or whatnot. I don't think your prices are unrealistic. I am sure other people will respond and if they think it is too much they will just offer you lower and you can decide what you are willing to take.

July 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like your prices are more than fair. They're even better priced than a lot of consignment stores. Just see if anyone is interested, in a few days/weeks repost with better prices if you think that's the issue.

July 6th, 2011, 07:40 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree your prices sound reasonable. I posted a bunch of outfits on kijiji too, I asked roughly $10 per outfit, they were originally about $40 ish dollars each (either gap or children's place). But I didn't have any takers So that is probably too much.

Most of my stuff is for a newborn fall baby - so I'm going to repost in September. I think most people are looking for summer stuff at this point.

I'm gonna try a mothers market at some point - I think I might do better there.

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

July 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM
^^^I find people want everything for basically free.... i have had people want thing delivered that i am selling new in package for $1... i was like no thanks!! and i have been asked if i would fill a garbage bag full of clothing (all good stuff) for $20.... I will give good deals and be reasonable but i don;t want to give stuff away for so so so so cheap ... i need to use the money i get to turn around and buy new clothing

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
July 7th, 2011, 05:08 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At the resale stores I see $5 for brand name jeans/jean shorts and I've always thought that was reasonable. T-shirts maybe $1-2 b/c when they're on sale brand new they're only $6-7. Definitely sounds like your prices are right!!

July 7th, 2011, 05:27 AM
~Constance~
Your prices seem reasonable to me. But what you have to remember is when you sell anything, it's not about what you need the money for, it's how much the buyer is willing to pay. When you're in "business" you want to buy low and sell high. What you did is buy high(new) and sell low. You're thinking of your personal investment in the items. The buyer doesn't care about your personal investment. They want to buy low and sell high.
For example, I bought lots of used stuff for my ds. His consignment shop and yard sale clothes were similar to your prices and wonderful brands. When he and dd #1 were done with them, I sold them at my yard sale for almost as much and sometimes more than what I paid for them.
I wouldn't sell to the prospective buyer who emailed you. I don't like pushy. It's one thing to haggle(Will you take $3 for the pants?etc)but bullyish to tell someone to reprice everything.
July 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Thanks girls, I was starting to question myself ... i don't think it helps that it is hard to part with the clothes and then to think that these people want them for 50cents just makes it harder

Constance, I am kinda like you, I have boughten most of my stuff second hand, I just cant pay store prices unless they are on great sales (i try to get the polo shirts at childrens place at the end of the year for the next year cus they are $3 then)
I didn't tell that person that I need the money to buy more clothes all i emailed back was "thank you for your honesty" ..... I would rather give them away to someone i know then sell them to here

thanks again girls

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
July 7th, 2011, 05:46 AM
MommyKent910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I sold Hayden's baby clothes, I sold onies and mix match stuff for a $1 a piece, $3 for sleepers, $3-7 for outfits. They went like hotcakes but I also saw the $1 went much quicker even though the outfits were the best deal. I think your prices are reasonable. Id see what the respond is like and go from there
July 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think your prices sound very fair. I purchased a lot of clothes for the kids this year at consignment sales and paid what you are charging for items. Sounds like she is trying to get something for nothing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search