O/T Dh and his MBA, opinions needed, pls!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
mshah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh will be pursuing his MBA, but we're having some roadblocks. I'll try to keep this short.

While we were in college, we partied really hard. Our GPAs were quite low, mine in fact was so low that I switched schools and started all over (lol! I did end up graduating with a high GPA once I started new). Dh graduated with I think 2.4 or something. Maybe even lower. Basically, I can't believe he was even given a degree.

Regardless, DH has still managed to become quite successful as a business manager. However, we will be returning to Pakistan in a few years for a permanent move. Pakistan has a huge income gap, you're either very rich or very poor. If you're very poor you work for the very rich. In order to be very rich you have to either be a doctor, engineer, or have an MBA from abroad. A plain old bachelor's just doesn't cut it.

DH hates studies. He's admittedly not very good at it and has no interest. His reading and writing skills are pretty poor and he just has never been a studious guy. He's found his success through his amazing interpersonal skills, which simply can't be learned. He gets away with his poor writing skills because he's a foreigner so most tend to overlook it (so he just doesn't even bother trying).

But he has to get an MBA. He has to, no questions about it (there's further info pertaining to this from his side of the family and their expectations, but I won't get into it. It's just that he HAS to get it). He wants a fast, easy program. One that requires minimum effort. He even says he would just "buy the dang thing" if he could. So he wants to go to a school that doesn't even require the GMAT entrance exam. Because he's too lazy to even take the entrance exam. I tell him that if he can't even take the GMAT how the heck does he think he's gonna even get through the MBA program? And any school that doesn't require the exam is a crap school that gets terrible reviews. I, frankly, don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something that dh will get no benefit from at all.

I want him to go to a good school. One that he needs his GMAT, has to maintain a 3.0 while there, and he needs to work for it. However, if he goes to this school chances are that I'll be writing his papers for him, just like we did in college. In order for him to maintain that 3.0 I bet I'd be doing alot of the work as well.

So, WWYD? Get your dh into a Harvard of a school but do some of the work yourself, or get him into a community-college of a school and let dh get nearly nothing out of it?

Thank you GraysMama for my siggy!

July 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Will it make a difference once you move? Or is just having the piece of paper good enough?
If the reputation of the school he goes to, is going to make his MBA more "worthy" when he looks for jobs in Pakistan, by all means I would do whatever I could to help my DH keep his grades up. However, if just having a degree is all it will take, then let him go to a crap school and muddle through.
I feel like I am not being much help, I'm sorry Miranda!
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

July 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
The paper is good enough. You said exactly what he says, lol! And I totally understand it. I just think that if he's wanting to start his own business (especially in such a lawless country as pakistan) that the more he knows the better. But then again, the rules that apply here don't there. Ugh. It's so hard when I see how successful and motivated his brother and father are, and how unmotivated dh is. Such a stark contrast. But then again, dh is way more fun! lol!

July 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'd definitely have him get the easiest degree possible...there are several online MBA programs that require very minimal work. He won't learn anything, but it will get him the piece of paper he needs.

BTW, I LOVE your new siggy! I am seriously going to arrange a date for Claire and Omair in about 18 years

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

July 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be careful with online schools unless its through an actual university. Not like University of Pheonix. My mom is doing a study program and is looking into schools online and her instructor said that she should stay away from them because you pay money and its like you come back with nothing in the end. I'm going by what I was told. She told us because my husband was looking into them. We decided to look at a college a few hours away in our state that does an online program.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 15th, 2011, 06:53 PM
That's what I was worried about with online as well. All of the good programs are through an actual real, good, accredited university. All of the easy, fast programs are through the university of pheonix types. He has to do online because of his management shift, it's on 4 days, off 4. So it's constantly rotating. He may be off Tues and Thurs of one week, but then the next he's not because of the way it rotates. Online is our only option. I just hate the idea of paying thousands of dollars where he gets nothing from it but a piece of paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
BTW, I LOVE your new siggy! I am seriously going to arrange a date for Claire and Omair in about 18 years
Thanks!!! And I'm all for that date! Omair will be thrilled at the chance to take such a lovely little lady as Claire out!!!!

July 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yup, she was telling us about how it was set up (shes doing the program through a local employment place called Michigan Works) and was told how people are paying all this money (10k a year i believe). Thinking they're paying the money and getting what you would get at an actual accredited university and coming out on the other end with pretty much nothing. Its harder for them to get jobs, I was glad she told us what she learned from her instructor! We had literally the day before been in contact with Kaplan and University of Phoenix. Its very scary! I hope you guys can find something out, I know that the thought of the money sucks for the piece of paper but I hope it works out. I'd definitely look at in state universities and see what they offer online wise. I totally understand the hours, my husband doesn't have a set schedule but works overnights, so he needs to do it online also.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM
mommydiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I wouldn't recommend University of Phoenix at all when I went it was accredited however now I believe they lost a lot of their accreditation . I so regret going there. I feel like it was a complete waste 2 yrs and all I got was unneeded debt. There are good online schools out there.
But if its just having the paper then I say hey let him do what he wants type deal.

But if your willing to do the work then I say go the other route. I know I have done some of DH's papers and said never again but if it comes down to it I will do it again..lol

July 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I don't necessarily mind doing some of the work...the main problem is getting him to take the GMAT. The crap schools dont require it, which is especially why he wants to go. Any university requires him to take it. Sooooooo frustrating. I wish he'd just suck it up and take the stupid exam so we can move on and he can get his money's worth.

July 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
University of Phoenix is still accredited and I dunno how it is for other stuff, but my DH got his associates degree in computer networking and security this past spring from there and is now working on his business degree and they are pretty good. Though we do live in Phoenix, so I dunno if that makes a difference. My sister also graduated from the University of Phoenix with her degree in Criminal Justice. However, it is definitely expensive, so do take that into account.

July 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know a couple of people that earned degrees through the University of Phoenix and it seemed rather rigorous.

I would definitely make sure the university is accredited but other than that, if he can find an easy school and it doesn't matter in Pakistan where his degree came from, then let him do it.

If I knew it was going to greatly impact my future, I would definitely help DH out. I wouldn't want to. But in the grand scheme of things, it will help you just as much as it helps him.

Thanks MamaLacey for the awesome PR siggie

July 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I went ahead and registered him in an online place called American Public University. They are affiliated with his workplace, and as a manager he gets in without needing anything but a basic application (took 10 minutes to fill out online) and his transcripts from his bachelors. Plus he gets 15% off tuition. So, whatever. It's not what I would prefer him to do, but it gets him in and gets us moving on. This has been plaguing us for several years now. Just glad to get him started. Thanks for the advice girls!!!

July 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Yay! I hope he finds some motivation somewhere along the way so you don't have to do all the work

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 13th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Why don’t you try for online MBA? One of my friend is a Thunderbird laureate alumni and he tells me that even online MBA of his school is pretty good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search