Toilet Training - Potty Recommendation

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Have you started Potting Training
No not yet. 6 19.35%
No but I am thinking about it. 5 16.13%
No that will be a long time till we start. 19 61.29%
Yes we started. 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2011, 04:43 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anybody started toilet training their baby? Can you share how you started and how it is going (or BTDT stories)? I have no clue. I was thinking of just putting her on a potty next to me when I have to go? I also heard putting them on a potty right after they wake up gets good results. I also heard you are supposed to put them on when you see them pushing. I can't tell when she is peeing though. Is there a "pee" expression that babies make?

If you haven't started, when will you start?

Sophia is standing a lot and trying to walk; she will be 1 in a couple of weeks (and one day but who is counting) so I am thinking of getting her a potty. Already looked at potties at Babies R Us/online and they have a bunch. Any recommendations?

And I have to include a poll of course. Love those polls.

PS: Thanks for the bib cleaning suggestions. I will try them.
July 22nd, 2011, 05:20 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
there are signs of readiness to look for.

Potty training readiness checklist | BabyCenter

by all means, get her a potty now, even if you don't start officially potty training her. get her used to seeing it, playing with it, sitting on it, exploring it. put her on it when she wakes up, or when you go to the bathroom. but don't expect her to do anything just yet.

have to go put nate down for a nap, I will share my potty training experience when i get back

July 22nd, 2011, 05:25 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
I'm having a hard enough time training my 4 year old. LOL '
With my first DD I sarted when she was about 18 months old. It took a while but by 3 she was fully trained, day and night. With DS I waited until he was ready, I think he was about 3, and it was a piece of cake with him.
With Isabelle I started just before Miranda was born, she was 2 1/2 and she got the pee aspect pretty quick but we are still having issues with BM.
I just put my kids in underwear and take them to the potty every hour and just sit them down. They are usually old enough to understand what peeing is at that point and have been watching me go to the bathroom.
It takes a while but my suggestion is not to put them in pull ups, it just defeats the purpose of them getting the wet feeling. My kids never really cared that the pull up felt wet or cold. It was much more effective to have them get their undies or legs wet.
Just remember that up to a certain age kids cannot hold pee. The muscles aren't developed yet and that is why some kids still have accidents.

IMO 1 year old is too young for potty training. I will wait until she's at least 2.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

July 22nd, 2011, 05:28 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Im not even planning on starting for another year, possibly more, unless he shows signs of readiness sooner, I did buy some cloth trainers though, but that was because they were a great deal

July 22nd, 2011, 05:47 AM
sunshyne57's Avatar ~Angela~
I won't be potty training until she's 2-3 years old (whenever she shows readiness/interest). My daughter wasn't ready until she was 3, and my son showed readiness at 2....well we are still working on it and he will be 3 in four months.

Potty training is HARD and takes a LOT of work. Some kids are super easy, some aren't. Just depends on the child and how consistent the parent is with taking them to the bathroom and reminding them to try. Kids just get so busy with playing and doing whatever they're doing, that they just forget to go.

Oh and I never bought any of the potty seats. I only bought the seats that go on the actual toilet. I have no desire to clean those things out! Plus I prefer to get them used to the big toilet since that is what they will be using. So I have no advice on those, but I'm sure others do!

Good luck with it!
July 22nd, 2011, 06:06 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm the same as Angela (our kids are all the same ages) and my oldest we tried early and he wasn't trained till 3. I stopped after awhile and waited on him to tell me when he was ready. He is 5 1/2 and still not night trained, he sleeps too hard to wake up and realize he needs to go.

My 2.5 year old isn't trained either. He has interest but its always after the fact of going. But I still take him potty when he asks even if we hang around for a few minutes and nothing is done. I won't start Bishop till 2-3 pending on how he is to it.

We also didn't buy a potty seat (well we did, but it was broken but a tornado dane) and just use the seat that goes on the toilet.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 22nd, 2011, 06:07 AM
~l~
I will probably start trying to train Kinley when she is around 18 months, which is what I did with Kayla. At 18 months I bought Kayla a big girl potty seat and started trying to encourage her to use it. She resisted... and I did not want it to become a contest of wills, so I just dropped it. Around 2.5 years when I was still pregnant with Kinley, she just decided to potty train herself. She started wanting to wear big girl panties and using her potty. I really didn't do anything. She had accidents occasionally, but it didn't last very long.
Now, she still does wear diapers at night because she pees several times during the night and hasn't figured out to wake up and go on the potty. Both DH and I had accidents until we were 5-6 years old at night, so I am not too worried about nighttime yet. All in all, I would say that Kayla practically potty trained herself. I hope it is as easy next time, but I will most likely have children who are much harder to potty train at some point.
July 22nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel a bit stupid thinking I could potty train Sophia at this age after reading your comments. LOL. I guess I have no idea what it is about being a first time mom. I don't know if I told you this before but I have tried to sit her on the real toilet when I saw her pushing when she was 7 months old. I used a pillow behind her so that she could sit properly. He, he, he. You can probably guess what happened... The poo was so squishy that it smeared onto her butt - nothing fell into the toilet and of course the pillow got pooped on. "That doesn't work at all" and "oh man now I got to wash the pillow and clean her butt and the toilet seat" was my thought and I never tried that again. Not sure if I should even try now. Seems like it's way too early. I read the link "Potty training readiness" and she has none of those signs yet. Thanks for your wisdom. Greatly appreciate it.
July 22nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Got this advice a long time ago and use it for all my kids. I wait until they show signs of readiness. Then I'll put them in undies for the week and give it a go. If at the end of the week they are having more accidents than successes I'll go back to diapers and try again in 2-3 months. If they are having more successes then we'll keep going. I have not found starting earlier gets them potty trained any faster. It just takes longer. Having done this a few times when they are ready they get it and it takes about a week. I personally would rather change diapers longer then deal with the stress of potty training for months on end.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
July 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
I'll wait at least another year and see if she is ready. I'll follow her cues for whenever she is ready.
July 22nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
mshah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to wait until Omair starts showing some readiness signs. A friend of mine introduced it for her daughter when she was a year old, and at first it seemed to be working and then all of the sudden she became terrified of the toilet one day. It made actual potty training later on much more difficult. They now wish they would have waited until she started showing readiness signs.

Thank you GraysMama for my siggy!

July 22nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
mommydiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't planning on trying till she shows some form of being ready. And at least probably not till another year yet.

July 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so here's my experience for potty training my daughter:

she was 2y9m old, and I knew she was ready. so I stopped putting her in diapers and went straight to underwear. she was fully day and night trained in 3 days.

consistency is key. the back and forth thing is just confusing to them. the first day, she peed her pants every single time. the second day, only half the time. the third day, only once. after that, not at all. we put her in diapers at night only for the first week or less, but she was waking up dry so we stopped.

at night she will wake up and try to get to the bathroom in time, but she sleeps like a dead person and she sometimes she doesn't quite make it onto the toilet and ends up peeing on the floor.

July 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Rochelle
I'll probably start thinking about it at 18 months and re-evaluate then. We have a flip down lid on the toilet seat that keeps them from falling in. I love it. Never liked those potty chairs personally. And we just keep a small step stool in between the toilet and sink. Makes like simpler
July 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Celine- DONT feel stupid I did the exact same thing as a first time mom!

Avis- Got her a potty at 12mo, I had her sit on the toilet for 10 min and read (oh my gosh...makes me laugh at myself just looking back!) and she was not potty trained day and night until 3.5 (day trained by 2.5...night trained by 3.5)

Violette- Didnt even show her a potty until 2 and she is day and nap trained...wakes up dry 90% of the time.

Kids train when they are ready. Honestly they will let you know
Suzannah (2.5)

July 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
My oldest potty trained around 3. We'll wait until Alison starts showing that she is ready. Some people do start trying super super early, just search for elimination communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPeridot View Post
I'll probably start thinking about it at 18 months and re-evaluate then. We have a flip down lid on the toilet seat that keeps them from falling in. I love it. Never liked those potty chairs personally. And we just keep a small step stool in between the toilet and sink. Makes like simpler
I want to know more about this flip down lid! where did you get it? We have one that snaps on top but it is a pain.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
July 22nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Rochelle
Flip Toilet Potty Seat for Adult Toilets by Safety 1st - Potty Training Concepts

Not this exact one but I know DH ordered it online somewhere for around this price. He took 15 mins to install it and from then on out it's a breeze and easy to wipe down. It's doesn't get all grimey like the soft-cushy snap on ones. HTHs!
July 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
sunshyne57's Avatar ~Angela~
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPeridot View Post
Flip Toilet Potty Seat for Adult Toilets by Safety 1st - Potty Training Concepts

Not this exact one but I know DH ordered it online somewhere for around this price. He took 15 mins to install it and from then on out it's a breeze and easy to wipe down. It's doesn't get all grimey like the soft-cushy snap on ones. HTHs!
Ooh I like that! I didn't know such seats existed! I will be looking for one of those for my daughter when she's ready. Thanks for posting!
July 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I told my husband we needed to get that seat a long time ago. I hate putting that one on our toilet because the boys always pee on it haha.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne57 View Post
Ooh I like that! I didn't know such seats existed! I will be looking for one of those for my daughter when she's ready. Thanks for posting!
NP

I love the splash-guard on it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search