Cheap dinner ideas

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Super Mommy
We are pretty broke this week. Teachers are poor. So I need some cheap dinner ideas so I can hit the store. Thanks!
July 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quesadillas? Grill (or bake) chicken breast, cut it up, saute it in a favorite sauce/marinade (We really like Busha Brownes Carribbean Jerk sauce)

It's so quick and easy (well once you have the chicken cooked)
July 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
KaiX2Momma
Baked Ziti which is what Im making tonight.

Ziti Pasta (Can get it for about $1)

Ground Turkey ($4)

Spaghetti Sauce ($2?)

Mozzarella Cheese ($3?)

Make the noodles, drain, place in baking dish, mix in spaghetti sauce, and cooked meat (I use ground turkey), cover with mozzarella cheese, and bake until cheese is melted.

I sever with Garlic bread and salad

I also make my own spaghetti sauce but I think it might be cheaper for you to buy it. You can make your own garlic bread using texas toast, and mixing garlic powder and butter together and spreading on top, then putting in oven.

You could also make the Ziti meatless and it would be cheaper.

Enjoy!
July 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Super Mommy
Yum thanks!
July 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Look at your store's weekly ad and see what they have on sale and check to see what you already have in the house; we plan our meals around sales and what we already have and it saves us tons of money. Chili is normally fairly cheap and a big batch will last you several meals, chicken is cheap (especially bone-in) and is versatile, pasta, pork roasts that are on sale make great pulled pork in the crock-pot, pot roasts also are big hits in the crock pot and all you need is seasonings and water.

Definitely look to see what's on sale, what you can get coupons for online (if your store will take internet coupons), and what you already have. Good luck!
July 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
mommytokem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do blueberry pancakes a lot, I make them from scratch not the box mixes. spaghetti pizza will give you a few meals, 1 lb spaghetti cooked mix with 1 c milk, 1 egg and large jar of spaghetti sauce. Top with mozz cheese and pizza toppings bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
July 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good advice with the bargain hunting. I want to mention homemade chili. It's cheap and if you make too big of a batch, you can always freeze some for later.

July 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiX2Momma View Post
Baked Ziti which is what Im making tonight.

Ziti Pasta (Can get it for about $1)

Ground Turkey ($4)

Spaghetti Sauce ($2?)

Mozzarella Cheese ($3?)

Make the noodles, drain, place in baking dish, mix in spaghetti sauce, and cooked meat (I use ground turkey), cover with mozzarella cheese, and bake until cheese is melted.

I sever with Garlic bread and salad

I also make my own spaghetti sauce but I think it might be cheaper for you to buy it. You can make your own garlic bread using texas toast, and mixing garlic powder and butter together and spreading on top, then putting in oven.

You could also make the Ziti meatless and it would be cheaper.

Enjoy!

We do this all the time. Its cheap and very tasty!

July 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybear View Post
Quesadillas? Grill (or bake) chicken breast, cut it up, saute it in a favorite sauce/marinade (We really like Busha Brownes Carribbean Jerk sauce)

It's so quick and easy (well once you have the chicken cooked)
I love doing quesadillas! I do them even cheaper, using black beans instead of chicken breast... cheese and black bean quesadillas squirted with lime with avocado, tomato, sour cream on top.
July 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to madelynsmomma
We are having beef and noodles. I get a package of stew meat(usually $4) or whatever cheap meat they have. Cook it in the crockpot all day so its soft. If we have more money, I buy good Reames noodles. If we are poorer, I make my own noodles. When its dinner time, just cook noodles, poor some beef and juice on top and its ready to go. I also agree with soups being cheap and going far. I always try to freeze leftovers too, so when we are super poor I can just go to the freezer and pull something out.

July 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
dunerchick's Avatar Super Mommy
Chicken breast in a crockpot with a can of stewed tomatoes served over brown rice.

Just cause I don't post much doesn't make me less active just means I may not give a **** about a certain topic. :-)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search