Consignment Stores/sales, yard sales, hand-me-downs

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Jenn218's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you feel about clothes, toys, baby items etc that have been used? I ask because a girl I know was asking about a good place to find a decent glider and someone suggested a local consignment store. She freaked out and said "I don't want some used chair that someone has farted in or squirted boobie juice all over" I also have a friend who I invited to go to a consignment sale with me and she seemed disgusted that I would buy clothes that another kid has worn.

I personally have no problem with it. I have found some great deals brand new with the tags janie and jack dress, gymboree, gap, $4 pair of stride rites that don't even look like they were ever worn etc. The majority of Lauren's fall/winter wardrobe so far has been consignment. After I started putting up her infant clothes as she outgrew them I realized how much money had been wasted (mostly gifts) because of all the stuff she never got to wear before she outgrew it.

August 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
New Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The way I see it it, I have NO problem selling my items to a consignment shop or in a yard sale and I'd hate for people to be offended by my items...you know?

Most of the time, I've found items in consignment shops or even in rummage sales to be in great condition and many with the tags still on!

I have tons of clothes for the girls and for one reason another (size, season, etc.) some things don't get worn.

I understand a first time mom wanting all new stuff and picking everything out and being all matchy-matchy, but I think after experience you realize how quickly LOs go through clothes, toys, etc. and it's just a better "deal" to find some of it second hand.

IMO
August 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Host of March '10 PR
When I was pregnant, I wanted all new stuff. I ink it was something about first time excitement rather than ick-factor. I bought waaaaaay too many clothes that never got used.
I'd say 98% of the stuff I buy her is brand new at the store, but I have ventured into second hand places and if I find something I love, I'll get it. I've gotten some great deals. Even when I buy At full retail stores, I'm much mor aware of bargains. Just because I know how quickly she stains stuff or grows out of it.
I had been eyeing these $40 keen sandals at nordstrom but would never pay that.
And then I found them in her size at Goodwill for $2!!!! What are the odds?

Last edited by LadieBug; August 18th, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
August 19th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
me I dont have a problem but ever since the whole bedbug situation when I was pregnant with Caleb DH is all freaked out about getting anything second hand it all has to be boxed up in plastic and clothing has to be washed right away and we do get some hand me downs but from people we know only he's a little OCD ever since.

August 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM
MichelleB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No problem with it at all. Most of our stuff is new, but its more because I don't really enjoy garage saling that much. I went once or twice this summer and had my fill. That being said, we picked up a little plastic house for Jace to use in our backyard off of Craigslist, and got a picnic table, a ton of big trucks/cars, an extra portable highchair, some cute play clothes and a swing to hang from a tree all at GREAT deals from the one or two days I did go to garage sales. I think I just hate having the sift through a bunch of junk to find the treasures. There's a high end children's resale shop near me, but they don't have hours that make it so I can go there (they are mostly just open during my work hours). I need to check that out one day...

[
August 19th, 2011, 07:07 AM
HappyMommyof4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It freaks me out I bought everything new for all my kids. I did just sell a bunch of my stuff to my cousin she wanted everything used. To each his own.
August 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nick n Nate's Mom Send a message via MSN to Nick n Nate's Mom
I get almost 80% of the kids clothes and shoes from mom to mom sales, garage sales or consignment. They wear crap out so fast, why bother buying new? I don't buy anything ripped or stained obviously...was just at Salvation Army the other day and got Nate 6 pairs of pants and Nick 3 pairs (all Old Navy, The Children's Place, or Gap) for $20. I also got Nick BRAND NEW WITH TAGS Macgregor soccer cleats for $4. I will clearance rack shop for the next size or season and stock up from there as well.

*thanks to Madge for my fab siggy!*

August 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just don't have a problem with my children using items/clothes others have worn. If it is well washed and clean, how is it different if someone else has worn it?

Anyways, love our consignment shops, hit or miss with garage sales (it bugs me how sometimes they price things too high), and I have recently become addicted to Craigslist--but not for clothes--for furniture for our new house!!!

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again-stims start September 6, 2014!
August 19th, 2011, 04:33 PM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
LOVE used cause I LOVE cheap hahaha! I am a sucker BIG TIME for gymboree for my girls so I hunt for that stuff in particular as well as Gap! I do pretty good and don't even go weekly like I would like to haha.....I do buy new too but rarely if ever will pay full price
August 20th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
most all my kids' clothes are secondhand. but lots of stuff you find in consignement stores or garage sales is new with tags anyway, so not really secondhand--but MUCH cheaper than you'd pay retail. i have a friend who "doesn't believe" in buying secondhand, and that's her choice. but, i can dress my kids in secondhand old navy, gap, children's place, ralph lauren, aeropostale, abercrombie, etc. for MUCH cheaper than someone else can buy brand new walmart clothes.

just today i went to the pound store (owned by Goodwill, everything is weighed like produce, and is 1.49/lb). i bought anniston a self-esteem t-shirt and an aeropostale shirt, and jhett a pair of old navy shorts. my total was .89. whoever "doesn't believe" in that must have so much money they don't know what to do with it lol. i seriously freakin BELIEVE in .89 for three items LOL!!!!! also, i like buying things that have alraedy been worn/washed several times so you know they're not gonna shrink or fade onto other clothes. that's an added bonus.

toys...hmm...i usually don't buy used toys unless they are very clean and working. i find that most often toys put in garage sales or donated to thrift shops have missing pieces, are broken, etc. but i still look, just in case i find something good. you never know!
August 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Jenn218's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used to have a goodwill that sold stuff by the pound but you really have to be in the mood to dig becaues they just dump the clothes on tables and you have to sort through it. I haven't been in there years so I don't even know if it's still around.

August 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Anxious New Mommy
I'm all about buying secondhand...and love the thrill of having to look through the junk to find the treasure...as long as I'm in the mood. I would say same as Michelle, that about 80% of Collin's stuff has come from garage sales and consignment stores. Toys too...all they usually need is a good cleaning. I just picked up a slide and picnic table for Collin for $15! And he LOVES them both!

Can't wait to go mom to mom sale shopping with Steph either! I can only imagine how much crap we're going to find!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search