Tips $$$

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2011, 06:06 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Who do you tip and how much?

Restaurant server

Buffet restaurant

Take-out food (when you pay by credit card, they still leave the line for "tip", what do you do?)

Hair salon

Nail salon

Maid who cleans your hotel room

Bartender

Valet parking

Other?
August 21st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ha - can't wait to see everyone's answers to this! I'm not sure what "correct" is in a lot of these instances.

Restaurant server - usually about 20% if they were good. If they weren't good closer to 10%

Buffet restaurant - 10-15%

Take-out food (when you pay by credit card, they still leave the line for "tip", what do you do?) - Nada

Hair salon - about 20% if I like what they did

Nail salon - about $5

Maid who cleans your hotel room - Nada - are you supposed to do this?

Bartender - $1

Valet parking - I refuse to valet on principle

Other? I'll sometimes tip the starbucks barister my change or $.50.

Are you supposed to tip movers? I didn't know whether or not I was supposed to when we recently moved.

Thank you Ryan & Alex's Mom for the beautiful siggy!
August 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
Momma2BraylonandMadeline's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Momma2BraylonandMadeline
Restaurant server - 15-20%

Buffet restaurant - depends on the type if it's a pay as you entere nothing, if they get drinks and small things 10%

Take-out food (when you pay by credit card, they still leave the line for "tip", what do you do?) - Nothing

Hair salon - Since I rarely go I don't even remember - I think 15%.

Nail salon - Don't get my nails done

Maid who cleans your hotel room - Usually we don't, although smaller places such as bed and breakfast we stayed at last weekend we left $10 for the two nights for our room.

Bartender - $1 if I get something but don't really go out

Valet parking - We do not use this service

Other? Guess I don't do a lot of tipping but we don't go out much/don't do much for myself that requires tipping. Massages I have gotten in the past I leave 10-15% but refuse to go again because all of them have hurt more than helped.

Thanks claire1979 for my adorable siggy!

August 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
Jenn218's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I go above and beyond when tipping but I worked in a resturant forever. Even if you give me crappy service I fill bad tipping less then 20%

August 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
Amanda82's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Amanda82 Send a message via Yahoo to Amanda82
Restaurant server - Generally 20% unless they were really bad or really good....even if they're bad they get 15%, sometimes I've given 30-50% depending on if we have coupons/etc.

Buffet restaurant-maybe 15%, depends on if they have to refill drinks and the like.

Take-out food (when you pay by credit card, they still leave the line for "tip", what do you do?) - Depends on the situation....if I watched the person getting my order fixed up and they're busting their butt, then would probably give 10-15%

Hair salon - Depends...but I usually don't tip in percentages at the hair salon....I think the last time I went for a haircut I gave her $7 for a $20 haircut?

Nail salon - usually $5 per service done....maybe less on eyebrows (which is really the only thing I've gotten done in the past 3 years or so LOL)

Maid who cleans your hotel room - Nothing usually...when we were in Philly for work, I did tip the bellboy but not housekeeping.

Bartender - if I tip a bartender, they're usually also my server (like Chili's sutuation) so they get the normal server tip.

Valet parking - Couple dollars, but valet is very rare.

Other?

Andrew Bruce -- 3/16/10 -- 5:30pm -- 8 pounds 5 ounces -- 21 inches long

August 21st, 2011, 06:43 PM
New Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who do you tip and how much?

Restaurant server 15-20%

Buffet restaurant 15-20%

Take-out food (when you pay by credit card, they still leave the line for "tip", what do you do?) If we pick it up, we don't tip

Hair salon 20%

Nail salon N/A

Maid who cleans your hotel room $5 p/night

Bartender $1-2 p/drink

Valet parking Depends on what it costs

Other? We tip the mailman & garbage people once a year at Christmas $50

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search