New challenge!!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
This is the "Master Chef of the April 2010 PR" Challenge.

This is the master thread. This thread will be stickied for easy access. In this thread post as many recipes as you want. You can post recipes, or links to recipes. Please specify in your thread if the recipe is a DESSERT, MAIN COURSE, SIDE DISH, or BEVERAGE. Main course is for any meal.

How you earn points? Easy. Make as many recipes as you can in the next month. I will have a separate thread stickied to post the picture and review of the recipe you made called, "I made this!" This is a month long challenge so everyone should have plenty of time to participate. This challenge closes on October 2nd.

Points -
Main Courses are worth 5 pts.
Desserts are worth 10 points (as we make far less desserts and they can be quite time consuming)
Side dishes are worth 3 points
Beverages are worth 1 point.

Don't discount the smaller point categories. Its far simpler to make multiple side dishes or drinks in one day than desserts and main courses! There is no limit on daily point totals, so this really is anyones game.

To get the points you must make the dish, take a picture, post it in the stickied thread, and write a short review. You can make the same dish multiple times in the month, just take a new picture each time. If you are unable to take and post a picture please PM me and we'll work it out. I don't want anyone not participating because they can't take a picture.

So get to it!! Post your recipes here, and your MADE recipes in the other sticky.

Remember Racine is a Vegan so try to post at least one recipe that she can make so she can participate too!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Last edited by frgsonmysox; September 1st, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
September 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This looks like SO much fun! I love it. And thanks for the mention Although I am able to "veganize" a lot of recipes, so if that would count, I can do that too...(ie, subbing non-dairy milk for milk, tempeh for meat, etc..)

I'm looking forward to seeing the recipes everyone posts!

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

September 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Oh, question!

If I'm going to type out a whole recipe, I'm also going to be making it a blog post....so can I just link to the blog post on this thread?

September 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
yup, thats fine For both questions. Just in your review write your vegan substitutes and how they worked!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

September 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM
Awesome! I'm stoked!

September 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
As Kaija would say "This is going to be SO.AWESOME!." Kolbie would just say "APPLE!" because that's what all food is right now
September 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Okay, I'll start! This is a really, really easy recipe. We had it for dinner last night and I'm adding it into our rotation b.c it was so easy and delicious!

Lentil Sloppy Joes

September 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
I saw your facebook post about it!! Very interesting!

September 1st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
This is my dh's favorite cake that I make for him for all of his special occasions.
Original BAKER'S GERMAN'S Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

September 2nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a really really good chicken recipe. I make this about once a month, and then turn the leftovers into chicken salad sandwiches.
Tuscan Lemon Chicken Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

A side dish that is really easy and yummy:
Oven roasted green beans

Fresh green beans
Olive oil
Sea Salt

Put green beans on a cookie sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on top. Broil until the tops start to brown. Serve and enjoy!

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

September 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This does sound fun!! I'm always looking for new things to make!
September 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay I have a couple

Main dish

Beef with snow peas (sooooooo easy...so good!!)

Ingredients
1-1/2 pound Flank Steak, Trimmed Of Fat And Sliced Very Thin Against The Grain
1/2 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Sherry Or Cooking Sherry
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
8 ounces, weight Fresh Snow Peas, Ends Trimmed
5 whole Scallions, Cut Into Haf-inch Pieces On The Diagonal
Salt As Needed (use Sparingly)
3 Tablespoons Peanut Or Olive Oil
Crushed Red Pepper, For Sprinkling
Jasmine Or Long Grain Rice, Cooked According To Package

RPreparation Instructions
In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch, and ginger. Add sliced meat to bowl and toss with hands. Set aside.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet (iron is best) or wok over high heat. Add snow peas and stir for 45 seconds. Remove to a separate plate. Set aside.
Allow pan to get very hot again. With tongs, add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl. Add half the scallions. Spread out meat as you add it to pan, but do not stir for a good minute. (You want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount a time as possible.) Turn meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.
Repeat with other half of meat, allowing pan to get very hot again first. After turning it, add the first plateful of meat, the rest of the marinade, and the snow peas. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Check seasonings and add salt only if it needs it. Mixture will thicken as it sits.
Serve immediately over rice. Sprinkle crushed red pepper over the top to give it some spice.

Dessert

Blackberry cobbler (can use any kind of berries, we just have an abundance of blackberries outside right now)

Ingredients

1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 1/2 cups berries
1 cup sugar

Heat oven to 375
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and milk together and pour into ungreased 8 inch square pan. Stir in butter until blended.
Mix berries and sugar, spoon over batter
Bake 45-55 mins or until dough rises and is golden brown
September 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Dessert - these are super rich and yummy.

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies | Picky Palate

September 3rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Main Dish~I posted this on FB and you ladies MUST try it. Its' so good.

Grilled Stuffed Zucchini | Our Best Bites

Main Dish~This one we make at least once a month. WE like to add either sun dried tomatoes or artichokes with it and always have a fresh veggie on the side.

Becky Higgins’ Garlic Chicken Farfalle | Kevin & Amanda's Recipes

September 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Here's my newest Enchilada recipe.

Those stuffed zucchini's look gooood! I could totally make those vegan!

September 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
This is a new favorite of ours, Baked Ravioli (dinner)
Baked Ravioli |

This is my favorite dessert and my mom's recipe, Rhubarb Crisp (dessert)
4c. diced rhubarb
3/4c. white sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1c. water
1/2c. melted butter
1c. flour
3/4c. oatmeal
1c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Place rhubarb in a 9x13 cake pan. Sprinkle with white sugar. Mix cornstarch with water and pour over rhubarb and sugar. Combine butter, flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over rubarb. Bake at 350 for 40 min or until bubbly.

And one more dinner, Easy Chicken and Rice Wraps
1 package Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice
2 T. margarine or butter
1 jar salsa
12 oz. chicken breast cut into strips (about 3 breasts)
1c. canned black or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1c frozen or canned corn, drained
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute rice-vermicelli mix with margarine until vermicelli is golden brown.
2. Slowly stir in 2 cups water, salsa, chicken and Special Seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 15 to 20 min. or until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink inside.
3. Sitr in beans and corn; let stand 5 min. before serving. Serve in tortillas with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
*Recipe says makes 4 servings but we ALWAYS have about 3 meals worth of chicken and rice mix. I eat a big bowl of it for lunch the next day!
September 4th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is great for breakfast or dessert...
Cowboy Coffeecake
2 1/2 c. self rising flour
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2/3 c. shortening (Crisco, etc.)
1/2 t. soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 c. milk (homogenized, evaporated, sour, etc.)
2 well-beaten eggs

Preheat oven to 375*
Flour and grease one big pan or 2 smaller pans.

Combine flour, sugars and shortening. Mix til crumbly with hands. Reserve 1/2 cup mixture. To remaining crumbs, add soda and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add milk and eggs. Mix well. Pour into pan(s). Sprinkle with reserved crumbs and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

September 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH was a Vegan/Vegetarian before we started dating and sometimes goes back into that so we have lots of recipes that I hope other will try and that Racine might be able to try/use.

Main Dish~Quinoa Stiffed Peppers

1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 ribs celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
1 Tbs. ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup quinoa
3 large carrots, grated (11/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups grated pepper Jack cheese, divided

4 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs removed

1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and garlic, and saute 1 minute. Stir in spinach and drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. 2. Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
4. Fill each bell pepper half with heaping 3/4-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 Tbs. remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and drizzle each with pan juices before serving.

Main Dish~Baked Eggplant Parmesan

2 fresh eggplants, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 egg whites, beaten
2 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
marinara sauce, divided (4-6 cups)
2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 Tb fresh basil, chopped
Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes then rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. (Bake on Silpat, parchment paper or grease baking sheet very well.) Bake in preheated oven for 7-10 minutes on each side. In a 9×13 inch baking dish spread marinara sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

Main Dish~ We like this one.

Spaghetti Squash with Pine Nuts, Sage, and Romano Recipe - Allrecipes.com

September 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Really yummy, easy carrot recipe - Side dish

Weelicious ? – Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family! Blog Archive Roast Carrot Coins

September 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nachos

1lb hamburger (they are very good without meat also)
1 bag tostitos chips
2 cans refried beans
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
1 tomato diced
1/2 onion diced
1 can rotel
salsa

Preheat oven to 350*. Brown burger, and drain. Add beans and rotel to the burger and heat thoroughly. In a large baking dish (I use a 13x9x2 inch dish) layer chips, bean meat mixture, tomato, onion, salsa, cheese, and then add a second layer of all the ingredients in order. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and guacamole on top.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search