Out of the house vs In the house B day parties

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Can someone give me pros and cons to each? We just had a small birthday party for M last year at my moms house while we were there for Christmas so i want to do something bigger this year. My area basically stinks, and all i can find are a couple of play places to have a party, both of which average about 200 bucks... We're pretty tight oh cash right now and especially since it will be right after the holidays but what are opinions on the ease of having it our of your house and paying more or trying to have it at home? The $165 dollar package for the place i'm looking at includes

•Invitations

•Up to 16 Kids (each additional child add $8.00)

•1 hour 30 minutes use of the facility of which the first hour will be unstructured play

•30 minutes in private party room

•Shared Playground area

•You bring the cake

•Host/Hostess

•Set up and clean up

•Coffee, juice, & water service

•Plates, napkins, and tableware

... so really not too much besides drinks and tableware.... the upside to this place of course is having somewhere for the kids to run and play and having something for them to do. But isnt an hour and a half kind of short?

If we had it at home i have no idea what activities or whatever we would do - of course the games would be based on a theme or whatever but by the time i buy stuff for games, snacks (which i'm not even sure if i could take to the other place? so and hour and a half of kids playing and all they would eat is cake...), cake, decorations and stuff would that be sort of close to the 165 anyway? I dont know, just kinda thinking outloud here

I'm leaning towards at home i guess but i'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts?

September 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That place sounds pretty good. An hour and a half for this age is usually plenty of time. Most toddler parties we go to are 2 hours max when they're at a place other than the home.

You'll probably spend close to the same amount to do it at home anyway, once you buy all the decorations, games, cakes, etc.

We typically have had parties at home, mainly because we invite so many people that we'd have to rent a huge space for an outside the house party.

September 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Obviously I've only hosted one party - it was at home (well, at my brother's home nearby) but here are what I think are the advantages of at home:

- Complete control over the budget, - control over amount of food/snacks and how fancy or plain you go. Plus you can always return unopened stuff (extra cups, plates, napkins, etc.) you don't use

- You keep any leftover food, party supplies, etc.

- You don't have to stress about remembering to pack everything into the car before you go to the party (a major plus for me since I find it hard enough to get out of the house on a regular day)

- Depending on nap time, your LO can rest until its party time

- Lots of age appropriate toys

- I find that most people with kids this little don't arrive on time. Half the people at Jamie's 1st birthday party were at least half an hour late (and some even later than that). But we were at my brother's house so the ending time was very open ended and we just hung around and visited. I would be bummed if I only had a place for an hour and a half and people showed up late.

That being said I have no idea what I will do for Jamie's party next year. My house is too small and I don't know how many times I can borrow my brother/SIL's house. This year we lucked out and it was warm so we had the party in their yard.

September 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We've only done parties at home. I can keep the budget in line that way. Usually my parents and my MIL offer to make one food dish, I just use balloons to decorate, make the rest of the food and cake myself. Plus the environment is familiar to everyone and no time limits. Eventually we will branch out, but mostly becuase Lily's birthday is in January so she is stuck always having her party indoors. Abri has more options like using my parents' pool or setting up sprinklers in our backyard.
September 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah i'de love to have a party for him at a park or something but thats not an option in January

September 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I don't think kids this age would get the most out of a place/activity. Heck, I don't even think they'd really get games. Not really. I'd just do something at home or rent a small/cheap hall. The only plus to the play place is not having to clean.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 6th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did Jed's party at our local rec center. It was 220 dollars, but that included a party room with napkins, plates and drinks. It included the cake too. Everyone got to spend the entire rest of the day at the indoor aquatic center. The adults and the kids all swam and went down the slides! We could have up to 50 people. I did get to bring home all the leftover cake.

I figured that I would have spent that much on food and paper products - so it worked for us.

Next year I will probably just do something small at home. And I will probably do the two sides of the family separate to keep it more intimate.

September 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, most of the kids would be older then he is (in the 3-4 age range) but yeah i understand that. Maybe one more year at home? I dunno. Dh thinks his mom would contribute so if thats true that would make it a much more likely option

September 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think 165 is not bad for a party.. but does Mikey know 16 kids??..I say that b.c Matilda does not have that many friends yet....soooo the bulk of her birthday was family---so home party for the next few years will be what we do..when she gets older...i will do like a small kid party with a few friends. but if you can have friends and family for 165...that is not bad!
September 6th, 2011, 07:11 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm with Megan. It probably won't be a big deal to have a party at home for a few more years until he really starts to have friends that he wants to invite
September 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think i counted about 8-10 kids right now but the reason i thought of having it somewhere else is bec/ most of the kids are older anywhere from about 3-7 years old so then they would have something to do. I'm leaning towards home for financial reasons but i'm going to have a hard time trying to find something for all the age range to do i think

September 7th, 2011, 06:49 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We were planning our kids at the local park, it was free to use and tons of fun for the kids! we were rained out and had a "Just dance" party at the house instead, but will definitely repeat next year. CAn you go to a local park?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In January?? Probably not

September 7th, 2011, 07:52 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Winter birthdays are tough. Kaija hasn't really known any other kids until this year. Her first birthday was at our house, second at my mom's house (we traveled to MI for Christmas/her birthday) and third we only sort of had a party at our house (no family came out). Kolbie's party was at our house. We've always done at home parties because we can afford to spread paying for things out and can't always drop up to $200 at once to go someplace for a party. That and we just don't have many kids to invite. I think there were 4 kids at Kolbie's party and rarely have there been more than that at Kaija's parties. So for us it's better to stay home.

I guess I can see the benefit in both though, especially if you know there will be a big ranges in ages of kids. However, I've never been overly worried about having activities for kids either. The kids at Kolbie's party just wandered off with Kaija and played with our toys, but they were 2 and 4 and both girls too.
September 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I have lost my mind, sorry!!! For some reason I am not thinking straight. Yes, January wouldn't work.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search