I don't think I can do it

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm a mess and it hasn't even happened yet. Tomorrow Ammon goes in for his 2 week checkup and his circumcision. With Brighton they did the circumcision in the hospital and being a new mom I didn't know what to expect. I didn't see them do it but they have you check it and tell you about it. I was a mess. I cried felt back and completely regretted doing it for about 3 days. This time DH was going to take care of it in the hospital but because of our pedi's practice policy they stopped doing them in the hospital and do them at the 2 week check. So now because of Dh's work I have to go alone to this appt. They do offer be not being there in the same room but still I have to see it after and take care of it.So now I keep thinking not to do it or maybe wait till later.

September 7th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Oh Diana!! I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time with this! Is there a time that you DH would be able to take him? If so, I would schedule it then! He's never going to remember it and just look at Brighton now, he's perfect! I know that prolly doesn't help now tho! Sorry...

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
September 7th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry Diana. We literally just had Coles done in the hospital half an hour ago. I really left the whole decision up to dh and he wanted it done and he went with thm when they did it. I think he will do most of the care for it too. Just take a deep breath and mayb not being in the room will be the best decision for you? I know there a lot of differing views on circs but i just want to say good luck!
September 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I'm sorry hon. I'm Jewish, so we have it done at home, during a ceremony, not at the hospital, but I can tell you that it was over in literally five seconds and Jamie was totally fine. (I know you've been through this with Brighton, but just in case the memory is scarier than the real thing.) To be honest Jamie cried more when we took off his clothes/diaper and got him ready than when the actual procedure was done. And he didn't show ANY signs of pain or distress in the days afterwards.

If you do decide to be in the room, remember, you do not have to watch the actual procedure. When Jamie gets immunizations I hold his hands and lean in very close with my eyes locked on his, so we all see is each other.

Caring for the boy parts after the circumcision wasn't anywhere as awful as I pictured. They will press some gauze on it right away (like when you give blood) and it doesn't bleed horribly or anything so its not like it will be gushing like a big cut or scrape when they show you after the fact. I was a little grossed out the first day or two but that was more in my mind than what I was seeing. You don't have to do much except put a gauze pad with neosporin on when you change his diaper.

Sending you strength. You will get through this and he will be absolutely fine. Big hugs.

September 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I never got it done with my boys, but I wanted to say I'm sorry that you have to go through that alone. That really sucks that things didn't work out so your dh could take him. Could you get it moved so your dh can take him? Maybe since you know what to expect this time it will be a little easier for you. Good luck!!!!

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

September 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a boy, so I've never had to decide on this. But, if it's something you both want done, then I think I'd try to reschedule for a day that your DH could take him. And if not, then I'd probably either leave the room or just look away during it. Focus on his face and soothing him, etc.

September 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't get to watch either because they took him away at the hospital, but I have watched during nursing school OB rotations. I will say that they usually give them a pacifier dipped in sugar water and it completely blocks the pain receptors. The babies were all perfectly fine. I know with Grey it healed very quickly and he came back to us from the procedure sleeping..
September 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry, Diana! I agree with Shelley, if you can find a way to reschedule when DH can take him, or at least go with you, I'd do that.
They're tough little guys and it won't bother him for long. *hugs*

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

September 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Sorry hun We don't circumcise our boys, so I can't give you advice there, but is there anyway you can just wait until you feel comfortable with doing it?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie81 View Post
We didn't get to watch either because they took him away at the hospital, but I have watched during nursing school OB rotations. I will say that they usually give them a pacifier dipped in sugar water and it completely blocks the pain receptors. The babies were all perfectly fine.
I promise I don't want to start a debate about circumcision in general because I do agree that it is a very personal decision for every parent of a boy to make, but there was a study done in 2010 that disproved sugar water blocking pain. It just changed the babies' facial expression so that it was assumed that they didn't feel pain. peaceful parenting: Sugar Does Not Relieve Newborn Pain
September 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I totally understand. This is our first son, so I don't really know what to expect.

Also, tomorrow is Liam's first dr. appt because I didn't get to book one for the first week. So I'm wondering if it's too late to get it done???

DH wants it done, and I sort of do too, but DH doesn't really want to be the one to take him in to get it done, and plus he may not have the time with working etc. So now I don't know what to do.

If your Dh will go in, and can get the time off work etc, I'd re-book it too. If that is not possible I hope you do ok at the appt.

I can see that may be me in a week or so if we do decide to get it done and it's not too late.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

September 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WE want it done and DH would love to be there but due to work it's almost imposable. His boss didn't even give him time off to be with me after the birth so him getting time off for an appt wont happen. His schedule isn't set so it's a day to day thing to find out when he works and for how long.

I do have the option to not be in the room with him and plan on not being in the room.

Our pedi only does it at the 2 week appt so if we reschedule it it has to be with another Dr and it would cost us $75 extra so we will be doing it at his 2 week appt.

September 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Quote:
So I'm wondering if it's too late to get it done???
It can be done at any time/age. For example sometimes if a baby is a preemie, born sickly, etc. people wait a few months. I had a friend who had it done as a young teenager although obviously you would not want to wait until they're old enough to remember!!!

September 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
It can be done at any time/age. For example sometimes if a baby is a preemie, born sickly, etc. people wait a few months. I had a friend who had it done as a young teenager although obviously you would not want to wait until they're old enough to remember!!!
My brother had it done as a preteen because there was a medical need. It was not pleasant.
September 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is always best if you are going to do it, to do it as soon as possible. Our hospital doesn't let the parents in the room when it is done. Our boys have all done very well with it.

Hugs momma.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search