Sleep Issues....Again

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Help!!! Jamie does not want to sleep any more. Tuesday night I put him to bed as usual and after a half hour he started crying. After a while I went to soothe him, put him back to bed and it started again 20 or so minutes later. Over and over. He ended up staying up until 11:45. Then Wednesday and Thursday nights he stayed up until 9:45. Tonight its 9 and he has just started crying. I am ready to cry hysterically myself - I am so drained physically and emotionally (from this and other stuff). I've tried a bath (makes him more awake instead of soothing), have tried cuddling, have tried CIO, have tried moving his nap earlier (he only takes one nap a day). He is just refusing to sleep. He isn't teething and isn't sick. I am at my wits end. Its as if he had a giant cup of coffee and is wide awake. I don't know how many more nights of this I can handle.

September 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel you Hillary! Rachel dos the same thing...she goes down fine but then usually wakes up after about an hour crying . She used to be easy to soothe and go back to sleep but now she fights it and gets so worked up she's almost hysterical.I keep telling myself it's the heat (we are gting our summer weather now) and that she will go back to normal....I sure hope that's the case...
September 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
What time does he normally go to bed?? Would it be a big deal if you just moved his bed time a little later?? (Maybe he would sleep in later!!) But if you are a morning person then you probably don't want that I guess.

I know you said he was kind of on a food strike. Do you think he's hungry at all? I don't think you are starving him or anything lol...just trying to think of things?

Does he have a cold and maybe not feeling the best?

I hope it gets better!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
September 9th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
On a normal night he goes to sleep at 8pm and wakes up somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00 am. His wake-up time is pretty standard regardless of how late we're up the night before. He usually naps from 2 - 4pm although today I had him nap from 1:45 - 3:30. The problem with moving his bedtime later is that after he is asleep is absolutely the only time I have to myself - to eat dinner, clean the house, take care of the dogs, pay any bills, apply for jobs, etc. is after he goes to bed. The crazy thing is his eyes get all droopy, bags underneath, etc. but even when I get him to calm down and lay down he lays there with his wide open, even if the room is pitch dark. Then if I move or do anything he immediately pops upright, ready to go. It's as if he has baby insomnia.

Thanks for trying to help. Tonight was just a rough night in general and I guess by day 4 I'm a little tired of this and wondering if I will ever get my evenings back on track. I keep trying to remind myself that like every other stage, this too shall pass.

September 9th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm I would have gone with it being teething but you said it's not that. Layla's gone back to sleeping through but she had some bad nights last week and had 3 molars coming through at once. If I got her up it was like she was distracted and forgot about it but after I'd put her back to sleep (could tell she was tired), she would wake up again very quickly. I ended up having to give her baby nurofen and then later in the night baby panadol and had to do that a few nights in the row to get her through the nights.

I don't know what it is, but I hope you find out soon.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
September 10th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Thanks! He's already got his molars and is an easy teether - got all 4 at once and the only way I knew was because he got a runny nose. We'll see what happens tonight! We were up early today so I could go running and have a busy day so hopefully he will be sleepy by this evening. Fingers crossed.

September 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Maybe you could try to play some soothing music in his room. I know when Alex has a hard time sleeping if I give him a little light and some music he is normally fine. Does he sleep in a dark room? Could he be waking up and just getting scared? Maybe if you gave him a night light it would help. I got Alex this little seahorse that is like a glow worm, and he keeps it in his bed with him. If he wakes up at night then he can just turn that on to get some music and some light. I hope that you both can get some sleep soon!!!!

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

September 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How did you go last night? Do you take him out of his room? It sounds like you don't but just thought I'd ask. If Layla wakes a few nights in a row and I have trouble getting her back to sleep I bring her out to the loungeroom, but then I think it becomes a habit as she cries and points out the door and then I have to get back in the habit of staying in the room with her so she knows she doesn't get to go back out (ie. it's boring sitting in the dark so she may as well go back to sleep!). I wish I had an easy teether!! Good luck tonight .

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
September 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think this thread just cursed me. Got two lines in and Meghan started crying.

OK she stopped.

When does he eat dinner? I found that Meghan needs bedtime snack, otherwise she wakes up hungry. Now that we give her a snack she sleeps later.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((HUGS)) My dd used to go to sleep just fine but she would wake up at 3 am wide awake. It drove me batty.

Hopefully he'll start sleeping again soon.

September 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Quote:
When does he eat dinner? I found that Meghan needs bedtime snack, otherwise she wakes up hungry. Now that we give her a snack she sleeps later.
It's not a matter of sleeping later - once I finally get him down he sleeps until 8am most mornings. It's the first 3 or so hours after I put him down that he keeps waking - as if he isn't getting into a deep slumber in the first place. He usually has a big dinner around 6:30 and goes to bed at 8 (after a wind-down routine).

Quote:
Do you take him out of his room? It sounds like you don't but just thought I'd ask. If Layla wakes a few nights in a row and I have trouble getting her back to sleep I bring her out to the loungeroom, but then I think it becomes a habit as she cries and points out the door and then I have to get back in the habit of staying in the room with her so she knows she doesn't get to go back out (ie. it's boring sitting in the dark so she may as well go back to sleep!).
He sleeps in my room (Ha! I can't remember what its like to have "my" anything. LOL). I usually let him cry for a tiny bit to see if he will fall back to sleep. If not, I go in and lay down with him in my bed for a few minutes before transferring him back to his crib. Its always worked in the past. This week was the first time in months that he kept waking up every 20 minutes or so - or maybe he never fell asleep in the first place and got bored/frustrated after 20 minutes. Monday night I finally gave in around 11:25pm - I brought him downstairs and sat him on the couch next to me where I was watching tv and trying to finish up some work. I completely ignored him though - did not snuggle him or play or act like being up was fun. Finally his eyes glazed over and I was able to put him to bed for the night at 11:45. Did not take him out of the room any of the other nights for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Quote:
How did you go last night?
Last night he was finally exhausted! We had to wake up early Saturday morning, had a full day, went to a late afternoon birthday party after only a partial nap, etc so I think he was finally worn out. At long last he went straight to sleep. Today he was sneezy and drooly and a bit out of sorts, so perhaps he has a cold. We cuddled for a while tonight and then he went to bed without protest and has stayed asleep. To be honest I don't think the cold or whatever this is was the original cause since he started protesting sleep almost a week ago. I think something kept him from falling into a deep slumber the first night or two and then he got in the habit of not wanting to sleep, wanting to snuggle with mommy, etc. Hoping the last two nights broke that habit.

Thanks for the support ladies!!! Hopefully Meghan is sleeping and I didn't jinx anyone!

September 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Turns out I jinxed myself. after I posted my latest reply he woke up screaming (about 10pm) and now I can't get him back to sleep. Poor thing, it really is like baby insomnia. If I get him to lay down he closes his eyes and tries to sleep but his hands are in constant motion - stroking the lovey, moving it across his face, up and down his body, etc. Or he lays down perfectly still but with his eyes wide open, just staring. I finally got him settled in the crib but he was not asleep so as soon as I left the room he started crying. I'm going to give it a few minutes and hope he puts himself back to sleep. I don't know what else to do!!! Clearly at this point he just wants mommy but its 11pm and I haven't fed the dogs or done anything else that needs to happen before I go to bed for good.

September 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like separation anxiety since he's used to you taking him back to bed with you.

My thought about food was maybe he was still hungry. Sorry that was unclear.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 12th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Well, I left him to cry for half an hour. No luck. Then I brought him downstairs while I finished up with the dogs and the house. Did not play w him or snuggle him. Put him back to bed - no luck! Finally at midnight I took him into bed with me and turned out the light. The poor thing tossed and turned for another complete hour before finally falling asleep after 1am!! It really seemed like he was trying to fall asleep and just couldn't get settled. I'm going to ask the doctor about it today since I have to phone them about something else anyway.

September 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
This is CRAZY!!! It's 10pm and he is still wide awake. This is the seventh night!!! I tried giving him food. He gobbled it down and then continued to want to play. I've tried CIO - have done two rounds of half an hour each and he is still crying. This totally sucks. Tomorrow I am going to try napping him much earlier in the day (he only naps once a day). If he won't nap that early I'm only going to let him nap for an hour in the afternoon instead of two. If there is still an issue after that I am going to try no nap at all which is just a terrible idea but I'm desperate. Midnight or 1am is not a bedtime for a baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search