Is anyone else's LO not eating much?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Aly really does not like food...and now I'm kind of getting nervous. She still weighs 23 lbs..she's 17 months now and when she went in for her 15 mo appt. she weighed 23 lbs...she hasn't gained any weight in two months...

And she won't eat...I even am trying pediasure--she hates it.

She drinks water, milk, and juice..but really, she MAY eat once a day..she snacks on crackers and goldfish..but not enough that it could be substituted for a meal.

Somedays she'll eat one pack of oatmeal...but then that's pretty much it all day.

If she refuses breakfast, she may eat a Gerber mac/cheese and a pudding for lunch...and that's pretty much it all day.

If she even THINKS about dinner--it's pasta and sauce...she really never eats dinner.

She is always at the dinner table with us..she just stares at her food and plays with it..she likes to throw it all over the floor.

She can still wear 12 mo. clothes and size 3 diapers.

What do I do? She won't eat. I started giving her baby food again..she actually ate a pureed pear and plum thing the other day.

I'm a bit nervous!!

September 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well Michael is not that bad, but he does have days where he hardly eats anything... he usually makes up for it the next day though

I'm sorry! I dont have any advice... have her doctors mentioned being concerned?

September 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM
at her 15 mo. appt. her dr. said as long as she eats one solid meal a day and then grazes for the rest of the day, that's okay..b/c they said right now she is just exploring and on the go so it's understandable if she doesn't want to eat.

But this is outrageous. I'm so stressed trying to feed her...she's so happy though..its not like she is sluggish or has lack of energy..that diva is on the go as soon as she opens her eyes at 6 am.

September 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel the same way - Michael gains slow... he maybe gets a 2lb gain in between appointments. I think he's about 23.5 right now (at 20 months) and he was about 23 at his 18 month. I hate meal time bec/ i sit there and just tense up not seeing him eat Sometimes he'll eat 1 chicken nugget for lunch And of course he'll eat snacks all day - but not meals! Have you tried things like Granola or these Veggie fry things...they're like veggie sticks but they look like chips? I was giving Michael the Gerber veggie crunches but he really likes these... the other day i scanned the organic/healthy section or my grocery store for better snacks bec/ i know he'll eat those but i can't guarantee meals will go in his mouth.

He hates pedia sure too

September 11th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Sam, I am the same way!!

I am so tense with this! Aly also will only eat one chicken nugget.

We do eat those veggie sticks..they are actually really good!

She likes nutragrain bars, all versions of yogurt (and Greek) and pasta and broccoli. She likes oatmeal and sometimes peaches.

It's a mess.

September 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Toddlers like to graze, which is just fine. Have you thought about leaving a little ice cube tray out with some cut up fruit, veggies, cheese, pasta, etc? Then, she can kind of pick at it all day.

What about making her a yogurt smoothie?

I wouldn't be very concerned about weight. Their growth slows down a lot now and they don't gain as fast as they did the first year. Vi has gained maybe 1/2 a pound since her 14 month appt and she eats all the time.

September 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Jamie used to be an awesome eater - an absolute piggy - but he has slowed down quite a bit the last few weeks and is also turning away what used to be favorites. He also has become a total grazer. Sometimes I can't get him to eat more than a few bites at "mealtime" but then if I keep plying him with the food while he plays he ends up eating a ton - or every 20 or 30 minutes he'll come over and ask for a bite of something. So Shelley's idea might really work. I wouldn't worry too much about weight unless your doctor is concerned. Jamie is only 22.5 lbs and fairly tall for his weight. As long as her energy is ok it sounds like she is fine.

These LOs keep us on our toes, don't they? Every time we figure out one phase they change, just to confuse us. LOL

September 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
A lot of kids are like this. My 3 year old hardly eats, I don't know how he gains weight! Hes the same weight as Aly, 23 lbs. Charlie hardly eats too and at 6 months he was 18 lbs, at 15 months he was 20 lbs. 2 lbs in 9 months but some kids grow like that.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jed has really slowed down on his food too. He plays with it and will snack during the day, but really doesn't eat much at meals (at least compared to what he used too). I would just keep offerring healthy food and I am sure she will start eating more soon. I think we sometimes overestimate just how much food a toddler needs. It doesn't take a ton of calories to sustain 23 pounds. Does your pedi have any suggestions?

September 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks girlies.

Laura, no, at Aly's 15 mo. appt., she said that it's normal what the diva is doing..but you girls know me..I'm a worry wart..esp. with this food issue..it's bad enough I get vaklempt trying to make actual meals and learn to cook, etc...but then I feel like a failure b/c she won't eat anything I offer.

Tonight she had some green beans and some pork...she also ate one of her Gerber lunch things.

Shelley--I like that idea about a variety tray..I'll give that a try.

September 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Toddlers like to graze, which is just fine. Have you thought about leaving a little ice cube tray out with some cut up fruit, veggies, cheese, pasta, etc? Then, she can kind of pick at it all day.

What about making her a yogurt smoothie?

I wouldn't be very concerned about weight. Their growth slows down a lot now and they don't gain as fast as they did the first year. Vi has gained maybe 1/2 a pound since her 14 month appt and she eats all the time.
These sound like good ideas, I might do that myself! I was calling Layla my 'eating machine' but she is refusing dinner most nights, especially the veges which makes me sad because I felt like she was eating so much more variety than my boys used to! I almost posted about this myself. She still eats a good breakfast, is more fussy about lunch... she does still love to eat fruit but it's dinner that's the problem as I don't want her hungry before bedtime.

Judging from the posts though, at least it sounds like it's not uncommon for a bit of an eating strike to happen.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
September 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I wouldn't worry. This is typical toddler eating. My five year old barely ate anything for a few years and she still gained. She finally eats better now though. G used to eat everything in sight but now he likes to graze and is much pickier about what he will eat. 23 lbs is good for a girl at this age. Grey is 25 lbs and he is in the 50% for boys.
September 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LIvi is the same way. She loves golfish crackers and only wants to eat those most of the time. We just try a variety of foods daily, and sometimes she'll eat it, sometimes she won't. Some of her current favs are easy mac (seriously, she will eat the entire thing!), dried blueberries, string or stick cheese, goldfish. Some days she'll eat mandarin oranges, other days not. I've found that if I show her that I will eat it, then she's more willing to give it a try.

Anyway, I think the diva is perfectly normal! She might be picking up on some of your anxiety revolving around food as well, so just try and offer and if she doesn't want it, try it another day! That's my best advice. Good luck!

September 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
RachelDavey06's Avatar Jackson's mommy
jackson doesnt eat much either. ive only been getting him to eat cottage cheese lately and sometimes a bowl of cheerios. hes 21lbs at 17 weeks and 31 1/2 inches tall. but i leave snacks out and just let him pick at stuff all day.

September 12th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Thanks mamas!! So glad the diva isn't in a funk with eating...glad I'm not the only one dealing with this issue.

September 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
dealing with food issues here too....

I can't get her to eat any meat.....at all!!

She only really likes yogurt...annies mac and cheese...fruits....no veggies....I have to sneak sneak those in. Tonight I made eggplant...well she took one bite and started gagging...we thought she was choking...no...she just hated eggplant so much she almost threw up. Then she wouldn't touch anything else at dinner....

hugs Mama- she will eventually have an expensive pallet I am sure sushi and Thai food

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search