Just curious for those doing ERF

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If your LO is still rear facing, so you plan to keep them like that for a certain length of time? Until they hit the limit on the seat you have, or a certain age? Or you're just seeing how it goes, etc?

Vi is still RF in a Britax Boulevard. The seat we have has a limit of 35lbs. I may get another Radian (RF to 45lbs) like Lily's and put her in that though. Lily is still RF and she just hit 36 pounds at 3 years old. I'm planning to RF them both until they hit their seat limits or hit Kindergarten, whichever comes first.

September 17th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not really sure yet - My original goal was 2, but he'll probably only be around 27 or so lbs by then and thats still pretty small... i think it'll just wait for a feeling that its time to change

September 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I should add that I'm asking, because I'm getting a ton of flak from people that Lily's still RF I was the only one out of my group of friends that did ERF, everyone else turned immediately at age 1 and 20lbs. A few have had second kids since and they're doing RF until 2 since the recommendation has really been publicized, but they still think I'm crazy for having L RF longer than that. And a bunch of people are on me to turn Vi as well.

Do you think I'm crazy for having her still RF? I already promised DH that if she's below 45lbs when she hits Kindergarten that I'll FF her.

September 17th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No exact plans here. I'm just taking it one day at a time and doing what feels best for me. It'll be a long time before Meghan reaches the limit on her seat though, she only just hit 20 lbs this month.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Crazy? no... Is there a point when RF isnt safer then FF? or is it ALWAYS safer? I really dont know when i'll change... but i guess if shes happy then theres no point to change her. I know a lot of kids get to a point where they want to be turned around... if we cross that bridge then ill evaluate at that point. I think its going to be more about size for me rather then actual age. Heck, my step daughter is 7 and i threaten her when shes misbehaving in the car and not sitting in her seatbelt properly that i'm going to put her into M's seat (it goes to 65 lbs, shes not even 50 yet i dont think) so i dont have a problem being "the weird one" on this aspect but as i said i'm really not sure what i'll do. Dh is one of those guys that thinks its weird, but he'll do what i want. I think if we're still RF around 3ish he'll start to give me crap for it

September 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Aly is still ERF..she's 23 lbs. She doesn't mind it, but her legs are squished...oh well..I'll teach her some yoga moves to stretch her legs out after a long car ride.

I don't think you're weird at all..who cares if Lily is still rear facing?!! Is it going to cause them to have a flippin panic attack seeing her ERF? She's not going to grow up to be a crazy wild woman or an introvert just b/c she sits a certain way in the back seat. Just roll your eyes and go with their immature crazy talk..if they give you crap just say "Yep, she's going to need a lot of therapy when she's older--I hope hubby has some good insurance!!"...and walk away...or just tell them to "shut the front door and mind your own buisness".

I plan on keeping the diva ERF until she reaches 5"10.

September 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We had Kolbie turned briefly in one car (the one we use the majority of the time, she was still RF in the other car, we just don't use it often) but her seatbelt was twisted weird and I had to unthread the whole thing to figure out the problem. I figured since I had the entire seat practically dismantled and I'm the one who drives around with the girls the most and I'm the one that wants her to ERF, then I'd take the opportunity to turn her seat back around. She hasn't complained yet. DH has whined the 2 times he's had to put her in her seat and made 1 comment 1 other time about her being "too big" but I just say whatever. He actually told me he was more worried about our kids being abducted than being hurt in a car accident Kaija is FF and in a 5-pt harness and will be until she maxes out her seat if I can help it. She's nearly 40 lb though so we'll see. Our seats are all going to expire in the next year or so I think. That's going to be a fun discussion since DH seems to care so little..."Honey, we need 4 new carseats..." ugh...
September 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I figure I'll leave Abri RF until I'm not too lazy to turn her forward. I think that will be awhile. Her seat RF until 35 lbs and then goes to 65 FF. She's just shy of 25 lbs now so we have a little bit. We turned Lily at 18 months. Her seat FF until 55 lbs and I plan on keeping her in a 5 point harness as long as possible. I know a lot of people who immediately turned their kids at 1 and 20 and plenty of 4 year olds in low back boosters who don't know how to sit up correctly.
September 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, once I turn either girl FF they'll be 5 point harnessed that way until they hit the weight/height limit of the seat. The Radian goes to 80lbs for that.

September 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We'll remain RF as long as we can. Chris wants to turn him at 2 but I'm going to fight to keep him rear until 4 or 5.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I'm going to have to fight DH on not turning Lauren at 2. She had her 18 month appointment and was barely 18 pounds, so at least at this point I still have the "it's illegal to turn her" argument on my side. I have a feeling she'll be RF until our next kiddo comes. Our current car only allows for 1 RF seat at a time and obviously a new babe would need it more. Our True Fit RF til 35 pounds and FF 'til 65. Both kids will be in 5-point harnesses as long as I can possibly manage.

DS has had to ride in his cousin's seat a time or two and it just makes me sick about how unsafe it is. Way too loose, shoulder height is wrong and all twisted! I just want to take it out and rethread it all and fix it. My SIL says it's fine though.
Caroline - November '12

September 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I am just waiting to see. But I plan on doing it until AT LEAST 2 years old. Livi is just over 20lbs now. 20.4lbs or something like that.

I do not think you are crazy to keep her RF either. I don't understand why people are so concerned that you have YOUR child RF??? What do they think is so wrong about it? Or maybe they are just jealous or insecure that your child is more safe than theirs and they feel guilty??? That was just a stab in the dark, but I don't see why people are so concerned with what you do with your kids. I say do what you feel good with until you want to!

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

September 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I don't get why people comment on Lily RF, but I get comments *all the time*. From friends, family, strangers in the parking lot, etc. None of them have done the research, but they all think that I should turn her

September 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Quote:
Aly is still ERF..she's 23 lbs. She doesn't mind it, but her legs are squished
Is she very tall? Which car seat do you have? I'm just curious because Jamie's legs don't even reach the edge of his seat when its RF since it still has to be at such a tilt in the RF position.

September 18th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jed is rear facing in both cars. In fact - James just got a new truck and now we can rear face both car seats in both cars! I've noticed that the angle of the seat in the truck is more slanted so he has more leg room in James' truck than in my explorer. So I think it depends on the angle of the seat with how much leg room they have because in both cars I have the line on the seat parallel with the ground like it is supposed to be.

So far Jed doesn't seem to care that he is RF, so I am going to keep him that way as long as possible. His seat RF to 35 pounds and he is 25 pounds now - so I have awhile.

September 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
Is she very tall? Which car seat do you have? I'm just curious because Jamie's legs don't even reach the edge of his seat when its RF since it still has to be at such a tilt in the RF position.

Michael doesnt even touch the seat yet either - maybe its something to do with the seat since Jamie and Michael have the same one. If i remember correctly i think kristins car is pretty small so that could be why

September 18th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Aly has a carseat with the name Combi in it..it's made for coupes...yea, her legs are sqished..I mean she has to bend them all the time..which when we were taking an 8 hour car ride, she was not a happy girl...she's about 34 inches...I think that's an average height..she isn't crazy tall.

Combi Coccoro--someone actually mentioned it in this PR--so happy with it..pefect for coupes!!

September 18th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is a great seat for small cars! Our car is pretty big (and so is our seat) so thats probably why we dont touch the seat yet though.

September 18th, 2011, 06:36 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Abri's feet don't touch the seat yet either, but I think it's because her seat is deep. I think most people believe that kids are happier seeing the road in front of them, but if they don't know that's an option then they are perfectly fine staying RF. My sister used that excuse for her youngest. She is 4 months older than Abri but she is smaller. I think she might be 21-22 lbs now and she got turned forward 6 months ago despite me and my mother telling her about the new recommendation. I'd rather deal with crying than risk her safety
September 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When people nag me about it I just tell them that I'd rather have a bored, fussy child than a dead one. Having already lost one child, I'm more sensitive to following recommendations.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search