What is your cleaning routine? (kinda long)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2011, 07:03 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
...as in, what chores do you do in a particular order?
Since the school year just started back, I'm trying to find some sort of routine that I can follow that will be somewhat flexible in case I have to be somewhere early but in place enough that I can loosely depend on, if that makes sense.
So far, in the mornings I come downstairs at around 6:45 after waking the middle and elementary school kids (the high schoolers wake themselves are are usually mostly ready by now). Most days, the little kids or at least some of them wake up too when they hear the commotion. I come downstairs and put a load of laundry in and make breakfast (sometimes eggs and toast, sometimes just cereal). I supervise the kids getting ready for school cause if I don't they goof off and will not be ready for the bus. After they leave, I clean up breakfast and then take a few me minutes until it's time to get Mia up which is around now...but after that...I need some organization. I feel like I clean and do laundry haphazardly so there's no telling what I will get to today and what will have to wait. I do try to make sure I start dinner during the kids naptime and that works great for us. Yes, it's ready super early and I have to re-heat but trying to brown ground beef or make spaghetti in the thick of the kids afterschool chaos and homework is a major pain in the butt so doing it at naptime frees me up for helping them.

So, let me hear how you ladies structure your household chores and what routines you have...Please share!!!! I need organization! I've gotten better but still have so far to go!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
September 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3

Can't wait to see responses.

You sound like you have got something pretty good going, more than me.

This is my BIGGEST Downfall. I have never had any kind of routine and there are days I barely get A THING done....and as much as I think I dislike Routines, I have been wondering if having one would help me to get more done and be less depressed about staying at home and getting nothing done.

But I also need a loose one in case plans change.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

September 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yeah, I'm not generally a fan of routines either but the more kids I have and the more that goes on in this house the more it becomes a necessity. It's not so much that I'm against a routine per se, it is just that I don't want to be a slave to the routine. I don't want to be that mom that turns down a playdate because Tuesday is furniture polishing day, KWIM? But I also don't want to be that mom with chronically dusty furniture!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
September 19th, 2011, 08:25 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I don't know that I'm the one to ask either. I don't really have a routine unless someone is coming over I just do things as needed. I usually do the dishwasher/dishes during breakfast or lunch. I eat faster than the girls do so I can take care of the mess while they eat and are out of the way. It makes life easier, so I can definitely see making dinner during nap time relieving a lot of stress! I've often considered something similar and I only have 2 kids

I do have a friend who cleans 10 min. at a time and every morning she makes herself a list of what she wants to tackle. That way there is routine but she's not married to cleaning her entire kitchen, just what she can get done in 10 min. Her kids can entertain themselves for that long and her house gradually gets clean. She's someone who HATES cleaning and gets very overwhelmed when things get out of control so this method has really really worked well for her.
September 19th, 2011, 08:40 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After Ammon all routines went out the window but what I did have wasn't much but worked for me.

While the kids eat breakfast I always unload the dishwasher and start a load of laundry. Then we all get ready. Growing up we always had to clean the bathroom after we got ready each day makes it so much easier for me the rest of the day. I always clean the living room and fold the cloths while the kids nap. At lunch is when I start to prep dinner. I always wait to vacuum till after dinner. It's almost pointless when the kids are up and actively playing. I always do 2 loads of laundry a day. I hate the folding and putting away so they sit in baskets all day till the next when I spend the time folding and putting away.

September 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
For me I typically switch the laundry and dishes out while the kids are eating breakfast. After I get home from driving the older two ones to school the younger two want breakfast, so while they eat I clean the kitchen top to bottom (which only takes about 15 minutes). When they are done I clean the table, and put a cartoon on for them. I pick up the living room, dust the entertainment center, and vacuum the whole house. If my arms aren't dead I may fold laundry. I wipe down the bathrooms when Chris gets home, or he does it. I prep dinner when I get a moment, or start a crockpot meal in the morning.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have much of a routine here, although our house is very clean. I am out of the house at 6am and not home until 8pm three days a week so there is no housework being done by me on those days. On my days off I usually clean the litter box, the kitchen, sweep the floors, and vacuum every day. I usually do all of the laundry one day a week. DH does the straightening up of the playroom and living room nightly after the kids go to bed.
September 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
A routine?? What's that?? hahaha

We have no routine around here so I am no help! I also only have 1 kiddo so we just go with the flow

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
September 19th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't really follow a routine that is written down or anything, but most days are fairly similar.

Girls and I wake up and they play while I get dressed. I wipe down my bathroom counters, mirrors, sink and toilet every morning after I brush my teeth. Then, girls get dressed and I pick up their room (pjs to the hamper, put away any toys they had out, etc). Then, we go eat breakfast downstairs. I usually unload the drying rack and dishwasher during this time. I always clean the kitchen counters after each meal as well. I usually start laundry around this time if it needs to be done. Then, throughout the day I switch the laundry and put it away.

When Vi naps, I usually mop the floors and have Lily pick up toys. After dinner, I do the dishes and clean up the kitchen again. Then, all of us pick up toys and whatever is around the house and put it away.

That's about it. I have DH vacuum (I hate vacuuming) every evening as well and I dust every other day or so. I deep clean the bathrooms and kitchen 2x a week as well.

September 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
No routine either and I think that's my issue. Like Mylene, I empty and reload the dishwasher while the girls eat breakfast so they aren't in the way. Vacuuming gets done whenever I get a chance and usually not in the same day. Some days I remember to start laundry in the morning, other times I start it during nap time. If I'm cooking a big meal, I do the prep work while the girls nap. Bathrooms and dusting get done when my housecleaner comes, which isn't soon enough but we probably need to get rid of the housecleaner.

Please someone have a fantastic routine that I can follow!
September 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I have a master cleaning list that I use. I separated all the chores into daily, weekly, and monthly. Then I put the lists in those plastic sheet protectors, and I use dry erase marker to mark off what I have done. That way I know what absolutely has to be done each day. If I don't do anything other than my daily cleaning I can get done in about 15 minutes. Most days I spend about 30-45 min cleaning. I do half of it (mostly monthly or weekly cleaning) in the morning, and half of it (daily cleaning) after the kids go to bed. I can do my weekly and monthly stuff as I have time. If I want to get out of the house I don't worry about my house because I don't have a set schedule. I don't do the daily cleaning until after the kids are in bed because most of it is pointless to do while they are awake like pick up toys. If I am home in the morning I will do the weekly stuff like the showers. I really like it because my dh can look and see what has been done, so he doesn't have to ask me what I want him to clean. That helps when I am sick or something because my dh can do the daily stuff, and then when I feel better I don't feel like my house is completely out of control. It also motivates me to get more done because I look at it every day.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

September 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow I can't believe how many people vacuum every day! IF (and I mean IF) I get to the vacuuming once a week I think I've done a pretty good job!! I'm definitely up on the 10 minutes in the kitchen thing.... I actually got a tip from JM to start with a timer on 7 minutes and just do what you can each day until it gets into order (it was about helping someone who left dishes for days) but still it really helps me. I don't need the timer usually anymore but I used it daily for a few weeks to get into the habit - it helps me because I have good intentions to get the kitchen in order each day but I'd wander away somewhere else...with the timer on my mindset is right, let's see how much I can get done before the alarm goes!! Of course I take more time if I need to but you'd be surprised how much you can get done in 7 minutes when you set your mind to it! (well at least dishwasher unpacked and repacked, and other dishes hand washed and counters wiped down).

Other than that though, I have no routine. I try to make myself mop once a week. I'm not a clean freak, I'm a believer in the articles that say some germs a good for kids (I guess because that suits my cleaning nature!!!!). We also don't have pets in the house...I think I would clean more often if we did but I don't like pets inside. I often give the toilet a quick clean and sinks a wipe down while I'm talking to the kids in the bath.

Anyway Angela... I think your routine sounds pretty good... I mean you're on the go all day, you get the dinner done and ready to go early - to me that's the most important part of the day because if that is ready when little kids start whining they're hungry and MUST EAT straight away....well then life is so much easier!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
September 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm no help because I work all day. I get up and get myself dressed for work and then get Jed ready and we all have breakfast. I am out the door at 6:10 am - so no cleaning then!

After work I usually start cooking dinner, unload the dishwasher (I run it after dinner) and on Thursdays I throw in a load of laundry. I clean up after dinner and then just spend time with Jed. I try to pick up the toys before going to bed and probably vacuum twice a week.

I do bathrooms, more laundry, and mopping on weekends. So some weekends it doesn't get done if I am busy. If I can't deep clean the bathrooms, I at least wipe it down with those clorox wipes.

Right now I am not doing much of anything but the necessities because I am so stinking uncomfortable!

September 22nd, 2011, 06:34 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
This thread got me inspired to actually make a cleaning schedule. DH and I talked about some expenses we have coming up and agreed that we have to get rid of our housecleaner in order to accommodate. It sucks because we've had her for 3 years! . Anyway, here's what I've come up with. I've kind of gotten started on part of it just to see how it will work in our daily life and so far so good, but next week is the official start.

Monday
-dishes while the girls eat breakfast
- vacuum the family room, dining room, office, and foyer
- Lily's laundry

Tuesday
-dishes during breakfast
-straighten and clean kitchen surfaces
-diaper laundry
-clean bathrooms

Wednesday
-dishes at breakfast
-vacuum kitchen, master, nursery, bathrooms