O/T Dishwashers

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Weird topic I know...

But I've never owned a dishwasher and never had one growing up either. I've been the dishwasher!

So I've bugged and bugged DH for a dishwasher and finally he is saying alright lets get one. I went to the store today to do pricing and the best types of brands. I'm lost and the sales person told me Kitchaid because it's very quiet and has lots of add ons etc etc.

What do you ladies have and do you like it? Have you had any that isn't good?

My friend just got a GE and said it doesn't clean her dishes well at all. Its a high end GE too, not a $300 machine.

TIA!
September 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a Whirlpool (GE). It came with the house when we bought it. It works well and we haven't had a problem. It's one of the basic models I think. It has several cycles for pots/pans, delicate items, normal, energy saving, etc.

September 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a Kenmore and its crap. It came with out house and i'm pretty sure its the cheapest one they could find

September 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We have a KitchenAid that came with the house. I'm sure it's from the late 90s or so. When we redid the kitchen, we kept the dishwasher because it was in great shape. Never had an issue and it is pretty quiet. I had a basic GE before that in our other house. It cleaned the dishes fine, but it was really loud. We used to have to turn up the volume of the tv in the family room if we had the dishwasher running in the kitchen that was separated by a wall and dining room.
September 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We have a pretty basic Whirlpool that we haven't had any problems with and we've had it just over 2 years. It does a good job getting everything clean. I don't think it was the cheapest option, but the one right above that
September 20th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In my experience (renting, friends and family), no matter how good the dishwasher is you still need to help it along. We rinse/pre-wash all our dishes first. Rinse if they're fresh, pre-wash if they're not. Also there's dishwasher cleaner next to the dishwasher soap that will rid the machine of calcium build up and such. Otherwise, it gets blocked up and the food can't get out...so you put one really dirty dish in and everything comes out filthy.

I've never bought a dishwasher, but I'd just research the heck out of it online and ask around like you are now. We've had 3 GE machines in the past that have worked well. But we're still renting so it hasn't been our choice.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=Max n Meghan's Mom;24872349]Also there's dishwasher cleaner next to the dishwasher soap that will rid the machine of calcium build up and such.[QUOTE]

Thanks! I never knew of a product! I live on a lake and the water is well, so it has lots of added deposits.... I'm definitly going to need that.

Thanks everyone for their inputs too! I've been also thinking about what Courtney said. At first was was thinking... ppft it can't be that loud of a washer and it doesn't matter to me. But actually my kitchen is open right into the dining room and living room, it will matter!! So thanks!
September 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No advice, I just wanted to say you're lucky and I'm jealous! I don't have one, or space to put one

[IMG][/IMG]

September 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have 'Choice' over there? We have Choice magazine and also a website. We bought a subscription to Choice (and cancelled it after a few months when we'd done our research on anything and everything we wanted to buy!). They rigorously test different products and rate them and it's an awesome way to feel like you're buying something that is quality and will last. I had never had a dishwasher before either and we bought that way - from one of the ones Choice recommended after all the testing.

And the best thing is, most expensive is most often not the best! I remember buying the 'winner' of the Choice recommended cribs and it was the cheapest crib of all the ones they tested . So it's worth a look if they do something like that in America...surely they would.

Good luck with your search - I love my dishwasher!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
September 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think "Choice" is like our version of "Consumer Reports", which is an excellent idea to check!

September 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can access a lot of the reports online as well and save the cash.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most libraries also have copies for you to check out for free

September 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
awesome!! Thanks everyone!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search