o/t facebook please help

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can someone please dumb up the whole facebook thing for me? I'm so lost with all the changes. What is up with the time line ting? Is my facebook not going to be private anymore?

September 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes it will still be private if that's how you have it set. Your entire history will just be a lot easier to view. That may not be a problem. For me personally, I just don't want someone I just met reading about everything I've been through in the past year or so. So I'll have to choose whether to change the privacy on hundreds of old posts or not allow new people in. For me it sucks because I have history that I don't want to delete but don't want to share with new people either. But if you don't have anything like that, I wouldn't worry about it other than it just looking a lot different.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
I'm okay with people being able to ready my older post I just don't want people seeing my stuff that aren't friends with me. I notice that I'm able to see people commenting on other peoples pictures now. Will that happen with my pictures? Right now my settings are private.

September 23rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If your settings are set to private, then other people shouldn't see posts to your pictures, etc (ie: friends of friends). But some people have their settings to Friends of Friends or Public, and those settings mean that we all see when you post on their picture, etc. Hope that makes sense.

September 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
What Shelley's saying is that say my sister has something set to "Friends of Friends" and I comment on it. In the past you could see it, as my friend, if you went looking for it. Now it pops up in that little ticker deal and you can see it easier. So if you don't want that happening with your posts or information you need to set it all to friends.
September 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
The new Facebook sucks. I can't see everyones most recent posts, and it's annoying me!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 23rd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
The new Facebook sucks. I can't see everyones most recent posts, and it's annoying me!

Same here. I always just checked on my phone but now I have to go to a computer and spend time on it looking so now I hardly ever get on.

September 23rd, 2011, 05:01 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I know, the whole "top story" crap drives me nuts. I want to see what people are posting NOW not 3 days ago...
September 23rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I have the old version on my iPad (for now) but I can't figure out the new version on the laptop or desktop. It's too frustrating so I'm sure I'll just ignore it for a while
September 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Aaargh - just typed a message and lost it.

I'm not one of the people who is up in arms every time Facebook makes a change but I hate this new version. It has me so confused and I hate only seeing the "top news" on the main part of my screen and having all the other stuff teeny-tiny in the corner, all scrolling together instead of grouped by post.

So what is this message people are now posting, something about asking people to scroll over their name and change some settings? Do you guys know what I'm referring to? If not I will try to copy and paste a sample.

I am bummed. For all its flaws I really like using FB to connect with people but this new version is a serious fail.

September 24th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let me paste this in regarding commenting privacy.

Facebook Privacy Issue: How it works and how to stop it (if people comply)
by Clare Washbrook on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 7:48pm
Here is the up to date (edited as things change) note to pass on to your friends. If you don't understand, please feel free to ask. Don't feel dumb, it took us geeks an hour or so to work it all out and test it. It's a riddle. But I shall try to unspin it for you.

Amongst the new changes to the Book of Face, there is a "ticker" (a rolling real time list of what your friends are doing). It is either on the right hand side, in the collapsible chat bar (also on the right) or you haven't got it yet (but you will) because it is on a staggered rollout (some people get it before others). It is smashing but there is a problem with it.

The story so far:
Geektastic testing shows that your privacy settings work the same as they did before, providing you used them in the first place. The appalling enforced eavesdropping in the ticker (your friend said this to someone you've never heard of) is the result of the lax or nonexistant settings of your friends, so here's the deal...

What happens is this:
a) Your friend has "friends of friends" or "public" as their setting for posts
b) you comment on their post
c) Facebook tells all YOUR friends what you said (as well as anyone else commenting on the thread -normal)
d) Your settings CANNOT stop this happening, YOUR settings protect your friends in this instance

So, do this and make your friends do it too:
1) Do NOT use the "friends of friends" setting. This is what is broadcasting everything.
2) If you use the "public" setting, say so, so that people can decide if they want ALL their friends to be informed of their comments.
3) "Limit" all previous posts on the privacy settings (unless you had "friends only" or specific lists already) - this will change everything to "friends" only and will stop people you deleted but did not block, people who sent you friend requests that you ignored and friends of friends from seeing your activity (yes they can, if you are not on "Friends" or lists).
4) Use the lists to decide who you want to see things (use the privacy controls in the top right of your posts).
5) Encourage your friends to restrict their setting to "friends" or custom lists too. This is the important bit.
6) Inform strangers or the connecting friend when strangers show up in your feed. It is their settings that made them show up. This will illustrate to them why they need to change their settings.

IT IS NOT JUST YOUR SETTINGS THAT CONTROL WHAT GOES IN YOUR NEWS FEED AND YOUR FRIENDS' TICKERS. ANYONE'S POSTS SET TO MORE THAN "FRIENDS" WILL GO TO ALL THE FRIENDS OF ALL THE COMMENTERS. FACT! WE TESTED THIS!

Still baffled? Don't worry. The problem is complicated but the solution is simple. Forget about understanding what is happening. If you want to stop strangers from seeing everything you do, you and your friends need to change your privacy settings to "friends" or custom lists. That's it. The hard part is getting your friends to do it.

Alternative "Cut and Paste" status to pass the message on:
If people don't understand, forget about explaining the details and "copy and paste" this to your status:

If you don't want your actions broadcast to everyone via the ticker/News Feed please set your privacy to "Friends" and ask your friends to do the same. Pass it on.

Other advice:

The C&P status offering a fix:
There is a cut and paste message asking you to "hover over my name and deselect comments and likes" for each individual friend to solve the ticker privacy issue. This is Facebook's solution. It's rubbish! It still doesn't stop YOUR posts being broadcast. Tis illusion. This option stops you seeing when other people have rude settings. It does NOT stop your actions being broadcast by your friends!

You have to do this for every single one of your friends. Time consuming AND it does not solve the problem, it stops you seeing it. The above advice is the only way to fix it. Do NOT spread it. It is confusing people and stopping the problem being fixed.

How to tell if a post will broadcast to all your friends:

Under each post (on the right) there is an icon which will tell you who it was shared with.

Globe = public
This means: If you comment your friends will be shown the comment immediately but everyone on Facebook (except blocked) can see it.

Gear = custom or friends of friends (hover to see which)
This means:
Custom - safe to comment on with no leakage (in the ticker/news feed) to strangers
Friends of Friends - unsafe....all your friends and all their friends will be shown the comment immediately

Heads = friends only
This means: safe to comment on with no leakage to strangers

You can check your own posts easily that way if you want to make sure that your settings are right.

Additional privacy issue:
If you use Linux operating system then Facebook is connecting to your IP address, not your profile. This means that anyone else on your network (spouse, co-workers, children, housemates) can see your notifications. I will post a fix, if one can be found without Facebook fixing the problem themselves.
All Microsoft systems have tested as secure today. I am looking for someone to test Mac OSs. If you can do this please set up an alternate FB account, log in and see if you can see notifications connected to your real account. You can PM me if you do not want to post publically.

NB: If you found this helpful - like the note itself, not your friend's posting of it. That will show it to people you know. Liking your friend's post won't reach anyone new because they've changed their settings already! Share the note and it will reach more people. This is for you own protection; My Facebook is now secure (apart from this note which does broadcast - deliberately).There are many explanations and fixes for other issues in the comments below which you may find helpful.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Last edited by Max n Meghan's Mom; September 24th, 2011 at 06:36 AM. Reason: I said "Let me pasta this" lol
September 24th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, what others said. As long as everyone changed all of their settings to Friends Only, then everything will remain private. I assume that as time goes on most people will realize that they have to change their settings. I have always had everything private so this doesn't change anything for me.
September 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Thank you Amy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search