Sitter Question

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has been so long since I have needed one, so I am clueless...

Anyways, I need some ideas of what to pay my sitter this weekend. She will be watching them at my house and I will be providing her with snacks and food and stuff. She will be watching all four of them. The older two are 12 and 11, and really only need to be supervised and made sure they don't kill each other. My younger two are 8 and 18 months. The eight year old is not hard to watch either - give him a movie and some food - he is good to go.

Jaxon on the other hand will require constant supervision, plus diaper changes, snuggles and to be fed and cleaned up.

She will have to drive about 30 mins to get to my house. She will be watching them for about 8 hours.

How much should I pay her??????

September 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Ooh good question! I need to know this too!

I got paid $5 an hour to watch four kids back in the day, but I'm guessing things have changed, haha. We always let the grandparents watch the boys but it's getting to a point where we want to go out after the kids are in bed, so we really just need a teenager to sit at the house and watch tv while we're gone.

Can I piggyback on this and ask if you'd pay less if they're just hanging out after the kids go to bed?

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

September 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
^^^ good point Racine.

September 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
You can go to Babysitter Base Pay Calculator - Calculate hourly rates for babysitters at Care.com and see what the going rate is in your area.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

September 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know exactly because my older kids are our babysitters. We have one family friend who is like, 22 and she watches them occassionally and I pay her $6 per hour which I know is extremely cheap.
My sister asked a teenager this summer how much she'd charge to watch her three kids (ages 11, 9 and 8) during the day while she was at work and the girl said $15 per hour. My sister was shocked (espicially since she herself only made $13 per hour at her job! LOL!). But when she asked around it seemed like while that particular teen may have been a little high for the area....$10-$12 per hour seemed like the normal rate....which is way more than I could afford so I'm glad I have teenagers who don't mind to baby sit their siblings!

Racine- I don't know if it'd matter if the kids were just in bed sleeping. You could probably negotiate that with each individual sitter. I'm sure some would agree to that. Maybe others wouldn't since it still takes up their time regardless and prevents them from making other plans but I'd bet some would be fine with less per hour if the kids are already in bed espcially if they used that time to study or do their own homework ect. Totally worth talking to each teenager indiviudally and see what they'd be willing to do.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
September 27th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly our babysitter will watch M for as long as we want for $20 (to cover gas) but shes not just a sitter shes a friend (one of the friends that went to Florida with us) so she doesnt really care about getting paid. When i babysat alot before M was born i got paid 10 dollars an hour for 1-2 kids.

September 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Angela -- STICKER SHOCK!!!!!!!

I don't make much more than that. Maybe I am in the wrong business!!!

Last edited by JaxonsMom2010; September 27th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
September 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
OMG, I know Christy! I could never pay that!

September 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no clue - everyone who watches Jed is family and they are free! I have heard that the going rate around here is about $8 an hour - but that is older kids (that don't need as much supervision).

September 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We pay $10 an hour for our sitter to watch both girls. She lives about 20 minutes away and can't drive at night (driving laws for teenagers are weird here), so her parents pick her up
September 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
The only time we've ever paid a sitter we paid $7/hr to watch tv while we went to a concert and we only had Kaija. I picked her up and drove her home. I thought that was a little steep, but after I thought about it that's about what I was paid to watch 2 kids all day. I'll have to ask Kaija's "teachers" though since I've been told they are a great way to find sitters.
September 28th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys! I think I may just pay her min. wage. Plus I am feeding her. She normally doesn't babysit for pay. She has four younger siblings plus nieces that she watches all of the time for free.

After thinking about it some more, she really will only be watching Jaxon. My older kids just need to be supervised. She won't have to do baths or anything, since we will be home before bed. I am ordering pizza, so she doesn't have to cook or prepare anything. Nor really have to clean up. Plus, my daughter loves to help take of Jaxon (feeding, diapers, etc.)

Again - thanks for your input!!

September 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Christy- if she's used to babysitting for free then she might not expect such steep prices. It sounds like she really enjoyes sitting so she may be totally fine with just a few bucks per hour....I know when one of our older boys (age 16 and 14) goes and babysits for my SIL who has two boys, they don't expect much. She usually gives them $20 or so for however long she's gone and they're fine with that. She usally orders pizza or something also and they have no problem with that....
OFten also, the younger the teen the less they expect to be paid.
Either way, minimum wage should be plenty.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search