Opinions on a Christmas present

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just noticed on Swagbucks that you can get $25 dollar gift cards to Restaurant.com. If you dont know what restaurant.com is you can go on there and some restaurants in your area offer discount cards or whatever you want to call it. For example at some places you can get a $50 dollar gift card for $25 dollars, since i would be giving a $25 dollar gift card to the website itself, the giftee would pick where which restaurant they want a giftcard too. So its basically a gift card to buy a giftcard, lol. So i got all excited and thought that this would be good Christmas gifts for the IL's bec/ i never know what to get them but then i noticed some places have minimum purchase requirements. So if they went on restaurant.com and (using the giftcard i gave them) bought at $50 dollar gift card to say, Mcdonalds for example (thats not a choice of course just an example ) they require your total bill be $75 dollars or whatever. So basically even with a gift card you still have to spend money... is this still a good gift idea? Or would it be annoying to think you're going out for a free dinner then find out you have to spend some money also? They would be going on restaurant.com and selecting their own place they want to eat - so its their choice if they pick somewhere with a minimum purchase but i dunno, would you like to receive this as a gift?

September 28th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I wouldn't give it as a gift. We've done the Restaurant.com thing before, and there are always annoying stipulations(the minimum purchase thing, and some don't let you use them on holidays or even weekends). I don't mind it if I'm buying it myself, I go there for a reason and know what I'm getting into, but if I got one as a gift...I don't know. I think I'd just go with a regular gift card.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

Last edited by Racine; September 28th, 2011 at 07:58 AM.
September 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you're gonna go with a giftcard I would just pick a place to get it from. My mom got one for restaurants.com and a few restaurants around here she wanted to go to weren't on the list.

[IMG][/IMG]

September 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
okie dokie

September 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I know here there are only like 5 places you can get gift cards from there for, and none of them are well known. I agree with the others, just get a gc from a restaurant.
September 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well the reason i liked that idea is bec i have no idea where they like to eat (we dont see them much) so i liked the idea of them picking the place. I'll just think of something else

September 28th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of places belong to a conglomerate of chains, (ie, red lobster, olive garden and outback) and their gc are all interchangeable. There's a group of awesome local places in our city, and if you buy a gc at one of them it's good at all 10 restaurants. Might be worth looking to see if there is anything like that by you (or them, if they're not that close to you)

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

September 28th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a thing from them once and before I could use it (like one day) the place stop participating. The website allowed me to choose something else, but there were close to no listings for our area. I was super bummed.

I did get their emails for a long time and they would send them out for $2 for the $25 card...the prices change throughout the month.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Last edited by Max n Meghan's Mom; September 28th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
September 28th, 2011, 07:42 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love to eat out, so anything that makes the cost of eating out less would be welcomed. I hear what the other ladies are saying and I agree that I prolly wouldn't get it for people I'm not close to but for IL's I probably still would. I love to go out to eat though....so i'd be the type of person that could find something on the list that worked for me.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
September 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd just check the area they live in to make sure there are plenty of places.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

September 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yes there are a ton in the areas they both live in large cities

September 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have any restaurants here that are on restaurants.com so I've never used it. I've always been curious about it though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search