Our Trip to the Emergency Room

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I was unloading the clean dishes from the dishwasher last night and Jamie was playing with a few pots and pans on the dishwasher lid. He likes to "help". All of a sudden I noticed he was mushing something wet around the pan and had it all over his arms/face. I realized it was dishwashing liquid (the kind for the machine) just as he started to scream. Turns out that for some reason the dishwasher cycle didn't run right and the little compartment that is supposed to release the soap never opened during the cycle, so it was still full and Jamie got to it. At first I thought he was just upset but as I scooped him up to wash his hands and arms in the sink I got some on my skin and it burned quite a bit. He was grabbing at his lips and face and crying hysterically. His lips started to swell up and of course he kept grabbing at his mouth and accidentally making it worse instead of better. I called poison control and they said I needed to get his mouth rinsed but he wouldn't take his sippy cup, wouldn't let me near him with a popsicle or ice ships or anything. Just screamed and screamed. He calmed down after a little bit but I decided to take him to the ER anyway just to make sure his tongue wasn't swollen like his lips. I hated that it was nightime and that I couldn't see him in the rear view mirror of the car. Kept poking him and making him talk to me.

By the time we settled into the ER he was his usual coo-coo self and ran laps in the waiting room, played with all the toys, wanted his dad and I to chase him, etc. So I wasn't really panicked but was still concerned about his lips - they were very red and swollen by then and his cheeks were rashy/irritated. We spent hours and hours waiting our turn. After about 2 hours they took us into a dark area with a bed and I tried to get him to sleep but he was totally wound up and screamed his little head off in protest. I even tried laying in the bed with him. Also he is a big thumb sucker to self soothe but his lips hurt so badly that he kept trying to suck his thumb and couldn't because it hurt.

It was 1:30am by the time we finally left the hospital. As I pretty much knew, he was ok. They gave him some benadryl although they weren't sure if it would help his lips since it wasn't exactly an allergic reaction. Sweet thing seems fine today. His lips are still a little swollen and cracked/badly chapped but he seems totally fine. UGH! What a fluke for the dishwasher not to work properly last night. No matter how careful you are they get into something! So thankful it was nothing worse.

October 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Poor guy!! Glad he's better today!! I would have been freaking out!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
October 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
oh poor jamie!! I'm so glad he is okay!! Try using some chapstick or vasoline on his lips. I cant believe the dishwashing fluid hurt him so much!
October 2nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So scary! I definitely would have taken him in too, even if I was pretty sure it would end up being no big deal. So sorry you had such a stressful time, but glad he's okay! And it's so true....anything like that can happen at any time, you can't possibly control everything.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

October 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
oh scary... but I'm glad he is ok. Poor Jamie

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

October 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
Poor thing! Glad he's feeling better!
October 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad he is okay!!

October 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Poor baby and mama! What a long wait too, I've never had to wait that long in the ER, how frustrating!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh goodness! I'm glad he's okay.

October 2nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
I'm so glad he's okay! I had no idea that dishwashing detergent would be so irritating.

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!
October 3rd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have never thought dishwasher detergent would be so irritating! Jed loves to "help" with the dishwasher and I can totally see this happening to him.

So glad he is feeling better - you must have been scared!

October 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm so glad it was nothing too serious!
October 3rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My goodness!! I would have done the same thing! Poor little guy, hoping he's feeling better as the day goes by. Hope you're are feeling better as well!!
October 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Glad he's alright! That would scare me too!
October 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so scary! Glad he is alright!

[IMG][/IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search