Christmas budget

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Can you all tell i'm totally psyched about Christmas this year already? Lol..... i think we talked about this last year but i dont remember so i'm asking again Do you all stick to a Christmas budget per child or do you go more for the number of gifts or what? If you feel comfortable sharing, what is your budget per child? I'm having an issue this year bec/ my step daughter wants video games that are $20+ while some of the toys i got M are in the 15 dollar range so i go by a dollar amount he's going to have more then she will. I know some people are doing the 4 gift that Shelley does, do you then stick to a dollar amount also or does it not matter?

October 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are going to set a budget this year, not really sure what it will be, but I think that will mostly be for each other since the kids are still so small they won't know the difference. I would like to get Rachel a kitchen, but I'm not sure if I'll do that for Christmas or her bday. Cole obviously doesn't need anything...so we will see. Once they get older we will probably try to keep things more even...both $ and # wise
October 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I try to keep the monetary amount spent somewhat even for the kids. We do the 4 gifts thing, plus a Santa gift and a sibling gift. The sibling gift is usually under $10, the Santa gift is usually the "big" gift and varies in price. The 4 gifts vary as well. I think last year I spent about $200 per girl and that included the stocking stuffers and Christmas Eve pajamas.

This year, I'll probably spend around $200 per girl again. Everything I spend I earned via Swagbucks or surveys, so it's all basically "free" money anyway.

Oh, and if I wasn't doing the 4 gifts thing, I'd still try to get the girls roughly the same number of gifts. I'd probably just get some really small items (pair of tights or socks, hair stuff, etc) to go with the bigger items.

October 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah since i got a later start on the swagbucks so i'll have $230 in Amazon cards by Christmas, so thats $115 per kid give or take... then stocking stuff and jammies. I got M some puzzles from Ecomom w/ swagbucks also so im not doing much out of pocket when you add i survey money either. I guess if i add more gifts it'll depend on how much i end up w/ surveys between now and then

October 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our plan for every year is to do a family gift for Christmas; something we can all enjoy together. An example would be a trip, or a new computer. This year our puppy will be our family Christmas gift. So, we don't really set a budget...we just consider what we might like to get and whether we can afford it that year.

We're of the mind that if it's something they really should have, we should just get it for them regardless of whether it's a holiday, and if it's something they don't need, they shouldn't get it even if it's a holiday. I think every family does Christmas differently, and that's the concept that works best for us.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

October 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racine View Post
Our plan for every year is to do a family gift for Christmas; something we can all enjoy together. An example would be a trip, or a new computer. This year our puppy will be our family Christmas gift. So, we don't really set a budget...we just consider what we might like to get and whether we can afford it that year.

We're of the mind that if it's something they really should have, we should just get it for them regardless of whether it's a holiday, and if it's something they don't need, they shouldn't get it even if it's a holiday. I think every family does Christmas differently, and that's the concept that works best for us.
So you don't open presents for Christmas? Just the family gift?

We don't have a rule system yet. We actually didn't celebrate Christmas last year. But this year we're excited to celebrate just us, not with other family. Less stress and drama.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

October 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ours kids get between 15 and 20 presents each from family members, so we see no need to go overboard for our family Christmas. This year they are getting two "big" presents to share from Santa (outdoor sand and water table type toys,) and then 3 or 4 other gifts each. I'd say we spent about $300 on both kids. I will spend another $200 or so on nieces and nephews and my MIL. DH and I don't exchange gifts. Honestly, we buy ourselves and the kids whatever we want during the year so we don't feel the need to have a huge Christmas.
October 9th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats how dh and i usually are but i like to try to surprise him with a small gift every year, usually something he'll never expect.... not about the cost i just like to surprise him. We also usually get a ton from friends/family plus we travel for x mas and have to bring it all back, ugh!

M's birthday is also two weeks later so as far as he goes its like overboard at one time, so he ends up with alot.

I'm also trying to teach them its not really about gifts, so i dont think they need a ton of stuff, kwim? Right now they're both getting 1 large present and about 4 smaller ones, and something each of them need... plus stocking stuff, Christmas Jammies and Christmas eve outfits

October 9th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a bit over spending up big - last year it didn't make me feel good to see how spoilt our boys are. That might sound silly.... but I just feel they have so much that they don't value their things. My ds that starts school next year will get a few practical things like a backpack, a lunch box... my dd will start daycare next Feb so she will get a backpack... I haven't thought of too much to give them yet because they don't NEED anything much. My FIL is coming over for a month soon from England, and he and dh usually go to Toys'r'us and buy lots of useless toys that the kids play with for 5 minutes and then dump.

Oh wow...bah humbug me - sorry!!! I do love buying the kids presents when I think they'll actually treasure or use them! We try to stick to about the same number of presents per child though with the example of the backpacks.. my eldest ds doesn't need a new one so perhaps he'll get one less present this year!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
October 10th, 2011, 05:54 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd like to keep it around 100$ for Melodie so I'm going to try to save up some $ , make a list and only go shopping once. My problem is I'll budget, but then I'll be out somewhere and see something cute and buy extra little gifts for people...so when Christmas rolls around I realize I spent way too much! I have way less time this year though, so hopefully that'll help me spend less. I have to start firguring out what to get people in our family though because that's always the toughest part since Didi's easy to buy for and DH and I don't usually get each other anything unless there's something we both want for the house...but this year we'd rather save the $, so no extra spending unless our computer crashes and we need to get a new one, which is a possibility.

October 10th, 2011, 08:43 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We are going to keep the budget small this year. The big joint gift for them this year is decorating the room they will share. I'm going to try to keep it as close to $100 as I can with paint, fabric for curtains and dust ruffle, and little accessories. The other gifts will be the 4 gift plan (need, want within reason, wear and read) plus some Avon stocking stuffers like lip gloss, lotion, and bath paint.
October 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
We're keeping it small this year. We don't get a lot of "gifts" from family members, but both my parents and my ILs are very generous with cash. They give about $100-150 per person as Christmas money. I've gotten a few things from Costco already (puzzles and books) plus we'll get Christmas jammies, and probably go to a store called Beyond the Blackboard that has lots of toys/games that are great for learning fine motor skills, which is still hard for DS. But they're super fun!

Anyway, I love the 4 gift idea, but we'll have to see what happens. I get to have a kid who will get excited about lights/trees gifts/ Santa this year. I can't wait!!
Caroline - November '12

October 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Money is TIGHT here. I usually get a Christmas bonus at work, so that is what I use to buy extended family gifts and santa gifts. That will not be happening this year. Plus extra money is being saved in light of my current job situation.

Our plan this year is to spend $500 total. And this includes any supplies to make gifts. I plan on making most of the gifts this year. I am excited that I found some color by number kits this weekend on clearance for my nieces and nephew!!! CHEAP! CHEAP! I bought ten and only spent $7!

October 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only spend about 50 dollars on Jed - but he gets so much from my family that he really doesn't need anything else. That will probably change as he gets older. I spend 10 dollars each on the neices and nephews - there are 12 of them, so it adds up quick.

I am thinking of making chex mix in Christmas tins for the adults.

Money is super tight this year with the new baby and an increase in health insurance, so we are trying to be reasonable. With that said - if my mom doesn't get Jed a kitchen set, I am going to splurge and get him one!

October 10th, 2011, 08:41 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We're going to do the 4 gift thing as well - with added gift from Santa and to each other. I mentioned it to DH after last year and he really liked it. Santa is bringing them an easel and art supplies. Kaija wants Kolbie to have her own pillow pet, so I think we'll get one of the mini ones. Ideally we'll only spend about $100 each on the girls. It might get tricky with the easel, we'll see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search