lets talk tantrums

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea what happened to my perfectly sweet, never crying little jaxface....

We went to the grocery the other day and he got a hold of a sandwich, I took it to give it to the cashier and he flipped out, screaming from the top of his lungs and didnt stop screaming until we were home. Then proceeded to tell me off (although I could not understand a word he said, but he even shook his finger at me!) The tantrums have gotten progressively worse over the last few weeks and it is driving me crazy...

Any ideas on how I can help prevent them or what I should do when he throws them. (i am currently just trying to ignore them, thinking maybe he will get that he cant throw a tantrum to get what he wants).
October 13th, 2011, 06:20 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
in my experience with my older child all I can say is tantrums get worse before they get better LOL....Sam has them, usually when he isn't allowed to do something he wants to do like go outside, jump on his sisters bed or climb on a table I pretty much move him to a safe spot and ignore the tantrum. His are usually short lived my dd could throw a fit for an hr...no joke her tantrums used to be horrible and she doesn't have them as much anymore now that she older but when she does it is a real doozy!! for her since she is older I put her in her room and she needs to stay there until she calms down and then we talk about it but sometimes that process is a long one!
October 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just ignore James when he has a tantrum. But when it's over, I'll go to him and give him extra attention. Tantrums can be scary for toddlers and I find they need comfort after.
October 13th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I explain to him why he can't have what he wants (who knows if he hears me through the crying) then walk away.
October 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with what everyone else has already said. I put him in a safe place and let him throw his fit. When he calms down, I explain why he can't have what he wanted and then we play together.

**Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!**
October 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our tantrums come more in the form of falling onto the floor, face buried in her hands and sobbing as though the world is about to end and someone has sent her best friend to live on Mars. It's hard not to laugh when they happen. But I try to ignore it and talk her through what's going on (I'm sorry you are sad that you can't have and entire package of candies for yourself, but we have to share with your sister or what ever), and let her finish. A few times when it seems particularly bad I put her in her crib in her room to have a little quiet time. Most of the time she falls asleep at that point.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
October 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Xavier does the whole fall to the floor and cry thing as well. But if you even try to talk to him or touch him he will fling himself away and then whack his head onto the floor a few times then cry cause he hurt himself :s

October 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rebecca throws tantrums that last an hour or more when she throws them (the record is 6 hours!). I just tell her exactly what I want her to know, and leave her to calm down.

Elias is a very short lived one. He usually will just let out a scream or a short crying spell and he moves on.
October 13th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejo View Post
in my experience with my older child all I can say is tantrums get worse before they get better LOL....Sam has them, usually when he isn't allowed to do something he wants to do like go outside, jump on his sisters bed or climb on a table I pretty much move him to a safe spot and ignore the tantrum. His are usually short lived my dd could throw a fit for an hr...no joke her tantrums used to be horrible and she doesn't have them as much anymore now that she older but when she does it is a real doozy!! for her since she is older I put her in her room and she needs to stay there until she calms down and then we talk about it but sometimes that process is a long one!
Ditto this. Ds is a tantrum super star but I've found that sometimes he just needs my help a bit to calm down. I can let him go until he exhausts himself (which can take HOURS and he's big and loud) or I can go and help him calm himself (sometimes a really restrictive bear hug, sometimes just getting him to breath with me). I'm getting good at figuring out when he needs my help calming himself out of a tantrum

Luckily Holly is less intense. She definitely throws tantrums and they are pretty violent (throwing herself backwards, bashing her head, slapping herself ) but she gets over them pretty quickly and easily.

I don't really have any advice. I've learned that getting mad only escalates things (and it's hard not to get mad after a long day of tantrums) but most of my "effective" techniques are for older kids. What I can say though is I tried the ignoring thing for a LONG time and it didn't work for us. Ds needed some soothing and help regaining his composure. Like Mamatutu (why can't I remember your name?!) said, tantrums are upsetting to them too. They are overwhelmed by emotions and it can be scary for them.

October 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM
josie_24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_it_is View Post
But I try to ignore it and talk her through what's going on (I'm sorry you are sad that you can't have and entire package of candies for yourself, but we have to share with your sister or what ever), and let her finish.
I do this. I'm really big on recognizing what emotion he's feeling and comforting him through it. However, if it's a doozy I do try to ignore it. Sadly, sometimes I laugh because it's so darn funny and cute. I shouldn't mock him but I try to make light and he seems to move on quickly.

Thank you Kellarazzi for my siggie!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search