Do you leave your LO unsupervised?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I mean when you're at home. Do you allow them to play in another room without you being in there? How long do you go without checking on them? Or, are they always within eye sight?

[IMG][/IMG]

October 20th, 2011, 08:29 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I do to an extent. She's usually with her sister, which yes means I'm leaving an almost 4 year old "in charge"... Typically it's only when I'm taking a shower and she ends up sitting next to the tub anyway. If I didn't I'd never get a shower. I'll also let them play in their rooms together for a while. I'll only intervene if I start hearing yelling.
October 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I will leave Peyton playing or watching cartoons to go tend to the laundry or put my make up on or fix lunch, etc. A couple of times I've jumped in the shower real quick while she is content watching Mickey Mouse but most times she is in the bathroom with me when I shower. I don't leave her for long without at least peeking in on her to make sure she is ok. But while I'm let's say in the bathroom putting make up on, doing my hair, and then getting dress for work I'm not going to make her just sit in there and watch me. So I will do my hair then go check on her, do my make up then go check on her, get dressed then check on her. She thankfully does great playing by herself so I can get things done!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
October 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
My house is child proof so they kids have free reign. I check on him if I don't know where he is to be sure he's okay but otherwise I don't bother what isn't broken!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gate off the areas that he is not allowed (kitchen and bathroom). Other than that he has free roam. He also has one or more sibilings (they are 8, 11, and 12)with him most of the time. I do go check on him from time to time.

October 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Vi's allowed throughout the house on her own. She typically goes wherever Lily is though, which is usually their bedroom, my room or the playroom.

October 20th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup. The boys have room time together usually every day for 15 minutes or so, so I can throw in some laundry or clean the bathroom or something.

If we're not all doing something together, they play pretty much wherever they want. If they're upstairs I just shut the bathroom door so they aren't tempted to mess around in there and make a mess. If I'm on a different floor I'll call Aiden over every once in a while and have him confirm that all is well.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

October 20th, 2011, 12:42 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
To an extent. I'll let her wander the downstairs, but I check on her every few minutes if i don't hear her. I don't want her upstairs by herself
October 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
To an extent. I'll let her wander the downstairs, but I check on her every few minutes if i don't hear her. I don't want her upstairs by herself
Basically the same here...but our house is so small and open concept that I can pretty much always see and hear her, as long as we're on the same floor. My house is great for that!

October 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nope, hes gated into the living room area... there is just too much in the kitchen/dining room he can get into right now not to mention the tvs etc. I'll leave him in this area by himself though while i go do dishes or laundry or something.

October 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can pretty much see or hear her all the time because our house is also small, but even if I'm doing dishes I check into the living room every few minutes just to make sure she's ok. The other day was the first time I didn't put her in the crib while I took a shower, but I left the door open and I turned on the tv for her so she was occupied. That is something I'll probably slowly keep doing. I still get nervous leaving her unattended though even for 5 minutes.

[IMG][/IMG]

October 20th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Robert was changing Meghan's diaper and his dad was keeping on eye on Max, but was doing laundry. In the time it took for him to walk from the laundry to the bedroom and back, Max had discovered the not quite shut back door or had learned to open it and it was too late. 1 minute? 2 minutes?

Don't get over confident. Never allow yourself to believe that one minute is ok. Think about every scenario. What would happen if they learn this time, while you were in the other room, to open a door, climb a gate...

You cannot protect your children from everything. You have to shower, you have to use the bathroom. You have to go to the doctor like I did and leave your child in the care of someone. But never ever assume that nothing will happen.

1 minute and your child is gone forever. 1 minute and your world crashes. 1 minute.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

October 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I love you Amy
October 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
, Amy.

I don't leave Riley unattended for long. I'll do dishes in the kitchen while she plays in the living room, but the way our layout is, I can see where she usually plays. She's recently gotten to the point where she likes to play in her room alone. When she's doing that, I feel like I'm checking on her every 3 minutes. I've never left her in another room (unless she's napping) while I'm showering or something. I guess I'm too much of a worrier for that.

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!
October 21st, 2011, 06:10 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even in a gated and childproofed area, Brynlee manages to get hurt. So, no, I don't like to leave her unattended. She is a climber and will climb on the couch, get too confident and flip off and hit her head etc, even when I'm right next to her. I still resort to showering when she's napping. When I have to use the bathroom, I hold it unless I have to go super bad because, once she's in there with me, she's into EVERYTHING. I am tired of having to put everything up and take it down every night, so my bladder suffers, lol.

Hugs to you Amy!

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
October 21st, 2011, 06:39 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs to you Amy.

Jed is usually never out of my sight. Our house is small and the kitchen and living room are open and connected. We have childproofed the kitchen and living room so he can play there. If he goes down the hall, I follow him and herd him back. He is such a climber, I am afraid he will climb on the couch and fall over into the stairwell into the basement - so I don't let him out of my sight much.

October 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs, Amy! Livi really isn't left alone that much, either. Sometimes she'll play in her room or look at books in there while I'm in the living room, but our house is like, 900 square feet so I can see/hear her no matter where I am. We have childproofed as much as we can and taught her things she can/can't play with. While I shower for work in the mornings, I'll usually close all of the doors and she will go between the living room and bathroom. I can hear any crashes/bangs/booms etc. Most of the time she spends in the bathroom with me trying to get into everything anyway!

October 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
I let Jacob have free rein of the living room, there isnt much there he can get into besides his toys, the tv is up on the wall, so i dont have to worry about a tv coming on top of him etc, with that being said, if i am in kitchen and he is in living room (baby gates are up) if i dont hear him playing ill check onhim,,, but we have a serving window from our kitchen to our living room so i can get a peek in on him pretty quick! and when i get a bath,,, he usually joins me lol,, he always gets in unless his daddy is home!
October 23rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mia is fairly free but with certian restrictions...sort of like free to roam with a * beside it. I do let her go upstairs if one or more of her siblings is up there with her and all the doors are shut and locked so she can only get into the loft which is the kids playroom. Downstairs she can roam all she wants b/c our floorplan is pretty wide open and I can see her. If she dissapears upstairs for more than a short while and I don't hear her playing and laughing then I'll go up to check.
I only shower while she is with a much older sibling (one of our oldest three who are 16, 14 and almost 12) or if she's napping. She takes a 3+ hour nap so that's not too hard to manage. I try to get major cleaning done in the mornings before she's awake. I TRY to put away laundry then too. That way she won't be following me up and down the steps.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search