Article of the Week 10/20/11

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is an interesting one. What do you think? TV or no TV?

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
October 20th, 2011, 12:16 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
Well I hafta say, our TV is always on when we are home. Even if it is just for background noise, it's on. Levi doesn't really give a d@mn though. We purposely turn on Sesame Street at 7 so he can sit down and relax before we put him in bed but that is the only show that he actually stays semi-still for. We eat at the kitchen table (no TV in the kitchen) and always will. I don't think it is a terrible thing. As long as my kid is being active during the day and doing different activities I think a little bit of time in front of the TV is okay.

I will also say that putting the kid in front of a screen, like the guy mentioned, while showering or loading the dishwasher isn't going to hurt them. I'm sure there are other ways to entertain for a few minutes while you get something done but I don't think he is doing anything wrong. It's just a new generation I believe.

October 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not one to pour over and analyze studies so I can't really comment on that aspect other than to say there are studies all over the place that contradict one another, you could drive yourself nutso with all of it!

Anyway I will say I am an "everything in moderation" type of girl, yep my kids watch TV, not so much Sam because he doesn't care all that much but he does occasionally watch a few minutes of the Wiggles or Freshbeat Band if a song catches his attention and I am fine with that. My dd also watches TV I would say 1 hr per day most days, on the weekends more because she will usually watch a movie during her afternoon "rest time" Am I doing my kids harm by them watching TV or the TV even being on in the background? well I don't know but I would venture to guess the ill effects in the grand scheme of things are minimal. I am no scientist though. I think this debate usually goes by extremes those that plop their kids in front of the TV all. day. long and those that ban it all together. My guess is the majority of parents fall somewhere in the middle like me and I am ok with where I stand.
October 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We were successful in keeping Alie away from TV until she turned 2. Now she gets 1 episode of Sesame Street every night before bed. Usually Christian is already asleep by the time we turn it on, so he doesn't watch any TV.

I'm a total TV addict and I didn't want that for my kids. Our decision had nothing to do with any studies. When Alie was born, we made the decision that as long as she was awake, the TV would be off...and it hasn't been a hard thing to keep up. After she goes to bed, we watch our shows. During the day, there's so much other stuff for them to do when they're full of energy and wanting to move and play. They're with me in the kitchen when I'm getting dinner ready...I don't mind them snacking on some chopped veggies or cooked meat and they like watching what I'm doing. We clean house together, we read books, we go out for walks, we do art.
October 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Funny, I was going to propose a Wired article saying, well, this:

A decade ago, the American Academy of Pediatrics suggested that parents limit TV consumption by children under two years of age. The recommendations were based as much on common sense as science, because studies of media consumption and infant development were themselves in their infancy.

The research has finally grown up. And though itís still ongoing, itís mature enough for the AAP to release a new, science-heavy policy statement on babies watching television, videos or any other passive media form.

Their verdict: Itís not good, and probably bad.

It’s Official: To Protect Baby’s Brain, Turn Off TV | Wired Science | Wired.com

as the article of the week yesterday, but didn't get around to it. I haven't read your article yet but think it might conflict with mine.

I'll try and do my readings and be back with comments later.

October 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't have TV in our house for various reasons, both personal and religious. We got rid of it about this time last year and I cannot tell you how much it has improved our lives to be free of it. So, obviously, Dallas does not watch any TV at all unless we are like in a restaurant with a sports TV on somewhere. She does occasionally watch videos on the computer that we put on for her, but it is rare. The best way to get her to stay put and chill for a sec is to give her a stack of children's books. she will sit down and turn page after page for quite a while, babbling and pointing like she is "reading". I don't think she would have been as interested in books if she had regular TV time, so I am grateful we don't have it. We also spend so much time just hanging out together as a family, reading books and being active outside rather than watch shows.
October 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are all out of the house during the day, either at work or school/day care, so there isn't a ton of time to spend watching TV. It is on in the evenings, but we turn it off during dinner (mainly so it's not a distraction to Stephen). We do turn it on in the mornings to listen to the news and Noelle watches a bit in the morning while she is eating her breakfast. I admit - she does eat more with the TV on to distract her from what she is doing.

She does have some access to other electronics in the house, and loves playing on my brother's new touch screen computer. It came with children's games installed on it, and she is actually learning colors and shapes. Usually she sits with my brother and he calls out the colors and the shapes as she points to them and moves them around on the screen. She has can identify yellow and circle just in the last week - so I can't say that using the computer is a bad thing. She gets bored with it pretty quickly, generally after 10 minutes or less so it's not like she's spending hours at a time on it. I guess we tend to fall more into the everything in moderation camp.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
October 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My TV is always on and with the kids channel on. I cant stand a quiet house. (not that my house is very quiet with 3 kids running around and playing hahaha) They dont sit there and stare at it all day and it gets turned off at dinner

October 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
shannonranee
ours is on a lot for back ground noise. nattie might watch for a min her or there but no real interest and I myself really dont watch it. I am not so much against tv but I am against cartoons - I HATE HATE HATE cartoons and will NOT allow natalie to be a cartoon watcher. she also wont just be allowed to sit in front of the tv.
October 21st, 2011, 05:05 AM
josie_24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been careful not to get Caleb hooked on tv....but it wasn't hard cause he really couldn't care less. Just recently did he show a little interest in Sesame Street and Dinosaur train when he had the stomach flu--I was super thankful too because he was running all over the house and I had to chase him with a pail and towel LOL. The only other thing he's shown interest in is football oddly enough. My Dad has had him watching football games since he was a few months old and I think he actually has made an association with the crowd cheering and he sits and relaxes when it's on.

I watch too much tv and so does DH so I'm using him as an opportunity to wean me off it some. I find I get really overstimulated when the tv is on too much and I get irritable. We often have it on for noise but I find if I turn public radio on, both Caleb and I are more relaxed. We've done really well lately at not turning it on til after Caleb goes to bed, which makes us focus on playing with him during the week. There are times I want to throw it out the window along with the laptop because DH watches hunting shows ALL FREAKING DAY on the weekend WHILE being on his laptop--soooo annoying!

I like cartoons, but I don't like the spongebob and all that stuff on Nickelodeon. We don't have those channels and I hope to just keep it that way. I know at Day Care the older kids watch dora while the little kids are eating etc and during transitions and Caleb still has no interest (thank goodness)

Thank you Kellarazzi for my siggie!!
October 21st, 2011, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If we are talking specifically about the article and not just about the topic of tv and toddlers in general, I'm going to say it's based on out of date information. I guess that's the difference between that article and the one I linked. He cites the AAP's stance on tv from a few years ago where mine cites the AAP's stance that was just released (this week, to be published next month), based on current research that has been further confirming older research. The (op) article does go well beyond tv vs no tv (phones, tablets, interactive vs not, etc) but I'm not writing a term paper here, so I'll just stick with tv good vs. tv bad.

What I'm going to say might come off sounding judgmental and mean or whatever and I don't mean for it to, so I'm sorry.

I think the whole "everything in moderation" is baloney and a real problem in our society. I'm not saying we can't live a little but I think "everything in moderation" just gives us license to do what ever we want (and we are all adults, so we can do what we want, but it doesn't make it good for us). What exactly is moderation? Is tv for 30 mins a day/week/month moderation? Is tv on all day as background noise moderation? Is it ok to give something that research time and again show's isn't good/probably is bad in moderation? There are all kinds of things I could give my kids in "moderation" that aren't good for them but probably aren't end of the world bad for them, but I don't because I try and do what's best for them. I think we use "moderation" as an excuse to permit things that are inconvenient/unpleasant to omit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm some great mom who lives and dies by doing what is absolutely best for my children. I consciously do things that I know aren't great for them, and I think lots of moms spend way too much time fretting about doing what is absolutely best for their children. A movie isn't going to kill them and it's fun to have fun! But I can't disagree with the recommendations, there's no doubt in my mind that my kids are better off playing independently than watching a screen (even while playing). But just because I agree with the recommendations doesn't mean I follow them to a T. Ds barely watched any tv before two, Holly I've been a little lazier with. It sure is easier to put pig tails in her hair when she's watching a little sesame street...

I can't keep writing, my attention is being demanded elsewhere. I will quickly say that (and this is purely anecdotal, so take it how you will) I know quite a few kids who watch next to no tv and they are some of the best behaved, brightest little kids I know.

October 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM
^^yep you sound mean .....kidding, there is much I want to say but I have a Hell-ish sinus infection and my brain hurts so I can't find the words at the moment. Bottom line is I still stand by moderation be that right or wrong.
October 21st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kim, STOP HATING ME!

Hope you feel better soon!

October 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm View Post
Kim, STOP HATING ME!

Hope you feel better soon!
.....I could never hate you my dear......thanks this cold is kicking my arse
October 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
TV was one of my "I will never" promises as a new mom. DD didn't watch any TV at all until about 2.5 years. Then we slowly started letting her watch more and more. Now she watches about 1-1.5 hours a day, spread out throughout the day. I find that when she gets home from school (she's in full-day kindergarten), she is exhausted and needs time to just shut down for a little while before dinner and homework.

Since she watches some cartoons, that means that James is exposed to it. But when the TV is on, I make an extra effort to keep him entertained away from the TV. Every once in a while, he'll get sucked in by a song and dance along, but once it's over, he moves on.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search