OT rant- am I wrong for being upset about this? X posted

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SailorsWife
Ok so upset really isn't the word. I'm more infuriated by it, by I think that's due to being personally involved rather than outside looking in. So this is a conversation some of you may have seen on Facebook with my 'best' friend.

Me- Just have to throw this out there because I just overheard an appalling conversation between 2 men. Clothes do not make a woman sexy, clothes accentuate a woman's sexiness. Sexy is not a look. Its a confidence in yourself and the way you carry yourself. I will teach my daughter that you don't need to flash a ton of skin yo be sexy. You just need to believe that you are and others will see it no matter what you're wearing.

Her- I think sexy is relative. For example, you think girl A is sexy and I don't, therefore whether girl A has confidence in herself or believes she is sexy or not doesn't really make a difference. and P.S. Court, you only think that way because you just don't know what it's like to be unattractive.

Me- I am no stranger to criticism. Im well aware not everyone thinks im attractive. I've been informed in no uncertain terms that im not everyones cup of tea. But im not going to believe myself to be any less sexy because of other peoples opinions. As long as I feel I am, who gives a rats *** what anyone else thinks. But this wasnt about me to begin with. Its about women feeling like they have to dress to appeal to men to feel attractive. So to refer back to your hypothetical, it doesn't make girl A less sexy because you don't think she is. It makes her not your type.

Her- Well when you start talking about "types" then it negates the whole conversation of a girl being sexy just because of her confidence level.

Me- So your argument is that a woman being sexy has more to do with the clothes she wears rather than her self esteem? If that's the case then I bow down to the skin deep level of that argument. That's not something I would ever want taught to my daughter or any little girl. I choose to believe that 'sexiness' is a state of mind and confidence in yourself rather than a superficial picture. I'll agree to disagree on this one.

Sorry if that came off harsh. Perhaps I'm too uptight on this issue to take it lightly.

* I added the last comment more to end the conversation than to genuinely apologize. Anyways, does this bother you or is it just me+hormones+knowing her and the way she is???

Forever Missing Our 4 Angel Babies... Forever Missed, Always Loved
October 26th, 2011, 07:37 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I don't think you're wrong for being upset, I can see where she's being a little obstinant. But especially if you know her and how she is, I could be extremely frustrated. And I don't know her.

Sorry!
Caroline - November '12

October 27th, 2011, 05:24 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I think you are both right. I think sexiness depends on how you present yourself (not necessarily confidence, but attitude as well), but I also think it all depends on what your type is. I find Chris sexy even though he isn't your stereotypical sexy guy.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorsWife View Post
P.S. Court, you only think that way because you just don't know what it's like to be unattractive.
I thought this was incredibly rude. Even very beautiful people have self esteem issues and might not very beautiful. You seem like you have a good self esteem but unless someone is in your head, they're not going to know. Anyway, I just thought that was an awful thing to say to someone.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

October 27th, 2011, 08:39 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max n Meghan's Mom View Post
I thought this was incredibly rude. Even very beautiful people have self esteem issues and might not very beautiful. You seem like you have a good self esteem but unless someone is in your head, they're not going to know. Anyway, I just thought that was an awful thing to say to someone.

Last edited by JaxonsMom2010; October 27th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
October 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought her comment about you not knowing what it's like to not be attractive was super rude as well.

I think sexy is in a large part a state of mind. Someone is always sexy for someone else, but they might not be the norm of what society thinks is sexy.

October 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy's Avatar Mega Momma
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
I thought her comment about you not knowing what it's like to not be attractive was super rude as well.

I think sexy is in a large part a state of mind. Someone is always sexy for someone else, but they might not be the norm of what society thinks is sexy.

I agree!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search