For those doing speech therapy

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At Brynn's 18 mo appt they gave me a script for a speech therapist but said it's up to me if and when I want to use it. Basically she only says mama and dada and occasionally tries to say other things but they are nowhere close. So the pedi said I could wait a month or two and see if she picks up anything else. So far she's started babbling more but not any more words so we're trying to decide if we should get the help or wait until she's 2 and see how she's doing.
So I'm just wondering what the therapists do when the come to your house, how often do they come? Do you have someone come to your house or do you take your LO to their office? And do you think that it's helping? TIA for any info you can give me!

[IMG][/IMG]

October 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh i just typed up a long response and lost it...

Michael has been doing speech for a couple of months now, he qualified for a program that is free through our state since he didnt have any words by 18 months (he's 21.5 months actual age, 18 adjusted). Since we're doing it through our state we had to get him evaluated and that process took a couple of weeks, i guess private insurance paid would probably go faster but i dont know. She comes for about an hour once a week

Anyway, as for how i feel about it... no, it hasnt helped him actually talk yet. He's still got no words but i have to assume he's better off then if she wasnt working with him. She has said he's smart, and she keeps saying she thinks he'll talk too but he's just very very stubborn. Last week he barely made any sounds while she was here. Sometimes i feel annoyed like it doesnt seem like shes doing enough to help him... but i'm sure thats just my frustration... she can't make him talk if he doesnt want too. I know speech takes a long time to come though

October 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Charlie does speech now, along with PT and OT. They are trying different programs on him, in the home. He has a book wtih pictures, and they are talking about buying him a switch - which is an electronic device he can use to talk to us. He has NO words right now, and can only sign one word.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We do the picture book too - it hasnt done anything yet Beth, does Charlie babble and make the right sounds just not put them to words? Michael makes most of the vowel sounds, B,D,M, N etc but just wont form them into words for some reason

October 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
He makes the dada and baba sound, but other than that not really any other sounds. He squeals and has different squeals that mean stuff, and he points a lot.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

October 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont mean to threadjack (so you can PM me or something if you want) but i'm curious about the switch you are talking about?

October 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM
They said it's some kind of computer thing that he learns a button to hit and the switch talks for him and says what he wants. So he learns which button means drink, hits it, the switch says "Drink" and he gets a cup. At least thats how they explained it to me. We have to add a new person to his team to get one, and they are in the process of trying that.

October 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rachel doesn't really talk either and our 18 month appt sounds a lot like yours. We didn't actually get the script for therapy but she said if we want one she will give it to us. Rachel only says dada...but she says it to evything so I don't even think that counts. She will sometimes say something that sounds like duck, and she will say uh oh...but thats about it. She understands commands that we give her ans can point out animals and things in books when asked...she just won't say the actual words...so I'm also curious if therapy is something we should be considering more seriously...
October 30th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My nephew at 18mths didn't really say anything besides making sounds. I guess from the outside looking in as a family we thought there was an issue, but my brother and his wife I think were in denial for about another year (which I can understand on one hand).

He has since been diagnosed with apraxia (he has a lack of speech due to a brain to speech issue/nervous system thing - I don't really know how to explain it). He was doing intensive therapy last year, had an ear and throat operation which made a huge difference (things he'd struggled with all year, he could suddenly make sounds for)... I guess all I'm trying to say is, there is no harm in having the speech therapist see your toddler and asking them their opinion. I truly think my nephew's issues could have been diagnosed a lot earlier, and from what we've read about his condition, catching it early does make a huge difference. Anyway I'm not saying my brother and SIL did the wrong thing, just sometimes when you're so close to the situation, it's difficult to make a judgement call.

You could also find the speechie says you have nothing to worry about, which would at least put your mind at rest!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
October 31st, 2011, 05:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I have been through lots of therapy for kids. I have had a typical developing kid (Riley), a child dx's with autism at 25 mths (Nate), and child with delayed speech (Reagan). And Kaycee is not saying a single word at 18 mths so she is clearly delayed also.

Here is my point of view on the whole thing.

When my twins didn't talk by age 2, I for sure thought it was my fault. I mean there were 2 of them and neither one was talking. however having my 3rd child changed my point of view.

My Riley is the only one who talked at an early age. She was also the most neglected. When she was a baby/toddler I had 2 yr old twins (one with autism and 35 hours of therapy a week, my focus was on him.)

This made me realize that it had nothing to do with my parenting/teaching. I was once told that you can have a early talker/typical developing kid in the most neglectful home and you can have a very delayed child in the best learning environment. Riley very much taught me that this was true. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes I'm not sure it would have felt so real.

My Reagan who was speech delayed (no words at 2yrs of age) did about 2 hrs of speech therapy for almost a year or so. She caught up incredibly fast once she started talking and they discharged her.

Do I think speech helped? Yes
Do I think it was necessary? No for Reagan, Yes for my son w/ Autism
Is there anything bad about doing ST? Not at all
Will I do ST for my 18mth old with no words? I will wait until she is 2 and see how she is doing. I know she is a bright girl and very social. She shows none of the signs that my son had and I am sure she will catch up when she is ready. I just don't see the need to push ST into our already therapy packed life at this point.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

October 31st, 2011, 12:18 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
My DS has had Speech Therapy (ST) since 15 months. It took FOREVER to get words out of him. We found that the more he was moving, the more he would 'talk' during therapy. So we found ways to incorporate movement into his sessions. He still gets ST once a week for an hour in our home. It is play based, which can make it seem like they aren't really working on things, but most of the time you can get a lot of language out of play.

Anyway, finally after 15 months of therapy, he started putting 2 words together. Since then he's skyrocketed with how much he is saying, but still has some nontypical production that will most likely make it so he has therapy for at least another year in the preschool setting.

I say, let a ST see her. Getting an early start on things is better than waiting too long, and if she doesn't need it. Bonus! Good luck. Sometimes being a mom is NOT easy.
Caroline - November '12

October 31st, 2011, 01:01 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My older daughter wasn't saying anything at 18 months and we were referred for speech therapy. We didn't set it up and she started speaking in sentences after she turned two. I think if she hadn't started by 2 we would have scheduled the therapy. DS doesn't say a ton right now, but he does say Mom, Dad, Dog, Dirt, Wow, and a couple of other words. I am waiting to see what progress he makes in the next 6 months.
November 1st, 2011, 04:20 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the responses ladies! I think we are going to wait a little longer and see if she picks anything else up. My mom said I didn't say anything until at least 2, no problems, just stubborn I guess So I think she's probably just like me.

[IMG][/IMG]

November 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I think it is fine that you're waiting, but I did ask Marcus' speech therapist today. She said that the average 18 month old has between 10 and 50 words. And, that no words would be a red flag to get a little help.

I am an advocate of early help for kiddos. So if you can, re-evaluate in a few months, instead of in 6. I just know they can help so much...not that they always do, but that they can.
Caroline - November '12

November 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Camden only says a few words but even if his doc is concerned at his appt this friday i think i'd wait until he's about 2 before doing therapy.

November 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
KasieH's Avatar Super Mommy
I think William can say anything he wants, but he chooses not too. He started talking early but hasn't added very many words he uses on a regular basis. Out of the blue, at times, he will say a sentence of 3 or 4 words and then goes back to just making sounds. He only says maybe 3 words regularly. I'm not sure what to think about it, but I am not going to worry too much until he is 2. He hasn't had his 18 month appointment yet so that may make a difference.

I read somewhere, if an 18 month old can communicate through noises, pointing, or other means, then there is no need to worry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search