Alivia's 18 month Appt.

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Alivia is 20.4lbs and 31 inches tall. They are a bit concerned about her weight gain. She went from the 25th percentile at 6 months to the 5th percentile now at 18 months. We are finding that cows milk really constipates her and we were still mixing formula in with it, and/or prune juice. The Dr. suggested Soy Milk. I thought I heard people saying that Soy has hormones or something? Maybe I am wrong....but I asked her and she looked at me like I had 3 heads...lol. She said she doesn't suggest goats milk because you can get low in vitamin D and if soy doesn't work well, then we'd try almond milk.

I did ask for advice about Alivia's behavior and she said all we can do at this age is distract and/or ignore. She had no other suggestions, so not much help. But she did say it was not a conscience thing..... sometimes I wonder if it is though...lol

I have to take her for blood work and urine tests to rule out anything making her not gain weight.

That is about all...

Oh and had Liam's 2 month check up too.. he is 12.6lbs (80th percentile) and 23.5 inches (75th percentile)....so he is not having any issues in that department. He is a lot like my oldest in that way, and both of them were/are very content and mellow.

Thanks for reading!

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

November 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like Liam is doing great! A lot of kids slow growth wise around this age, so that might be the case with Livi.

Soy does have a lot of issues, but you can find studies either way. The phytoestrogens are the hormones that can be concerning, in some people they work just like estrogen. In some instances they have been shown to cause fertility issues and thyroid issues in men; they can also cause issues in women. But there is also support that isoflavones in soy can help reduce the risk of cancers, etc. Almost all soy is genetically modified now though. I'd probably do almond milk over soy, but that's just me.

November 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Soy can actually be constipating also. We do Almond milk and it actually tastes really good! Sounds like they are both doing great. Livi just sounds like she's going to be a petite little thing. My dd is the same way.

November 7th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Meghan dropped from >10% weight at her 12 month to <10% at her 15 month for weight. Her height dropped from 90% to 30%. We came back 6 weeks later for a weight/height check and she was back up to 10-20% for weight and 50% height. I don't know the percentages from her 18 month, I know she's still on the small side but there wasn't any concern.

Hopefully Alivia will be just fine at her next check too. When does she go back?

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

November 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
She doesn't have to go back until 2 years. They are not really concerned, but want to keep an eye on it.

I've decided to go to Almond Milk instead of Soy. I am hoping there are some not so 'sweet' brands too so that she doesn't get stuck on sweet milk. I'll have to go see what is out there.

Thanks for all the responses Yes I think Livi is just petite, there are a lot of petite people on my side of the family. DH's family most of them are TALL!

November 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She is probably going to just be tiny! I know Jed has dropped some - not that low though. He went from the 50% to about 30%. I think they just stall some at this age. KUP!

November 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Laura, there are some almond milks that say "unsweetened" on the front. I know Almond Breeze (blue diamond) makes one, it might be the non-refrigerated version though. I'd look at a few different brands available to you and just pick the one with the lowest sugar to start with.

November 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^^^
yep they have an unsweetened vanilla one that I've been using, and few times I've given it to Rachel she's liked it too!
November 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I found unsweetened Almond milk. I gave it to her for the first time yesterday and she likes it. Now to see if it helps the constipation!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search