What's your Dh's work schedule

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Set hours? Rotating hours? Shift work? Salary? Is he home for dinner or work late? Holidays/Weekends? Do you like it?

Mines schedule is 6:45am (but he has to be there at 6:30) - 2:45pm (weird huh). He wakes up at 5 since his drive is about an hour. He works 5 days a week and in "odd" months is off Thursday and Fridays and "even" months he's off Friday and Saturday... so sometimes he has a weekend day off sometimes not. I dont mind his schedule bec/ i like that he's home early in the afternoon but we both miss his old 12 hour schedule. The days he worked was rough but the way the days off worked out he was off SO much more often (including a three day weekend every other week) and that made it much easier to go on vacations and stuff. Oh and he's paid hourly - but his county wont give overtime so instead of giving him 30 minutes overtime every other wednesday or thursday he leaves a half hour early.

November 10th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Right now my dh has a pretty set schedule. He has to be to work by 5, so he gets up at 4:30. On Tuesdays and Thursdays he is there until almost 5pm. Monday and Wednesday he gets out about 3pm. Fridays he is normally out by 1pm if not earlier. It is a pretty big change from what his schedule use to be like. It is nice to know he will be home every night and every weekend.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

November 10th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Robert just got promoted and is now salary.

He works M-F 8-5. But his job doesn't really end when he leaves and he often has to continue working when he gets home for a few hours. He has worked from home on Wednesdays since we lost Max so that we can attend therapy together or so he can watch Meghan while I go.

He has all major holidays off with a couple bonuses. He's off for Homecoming (which was last Friday) and he works a half day on Christmas Eve before being off until after the New Year (paid). This year he took the week before Christmas off as well (vacation time) so we can travel to see family without it cutting into our time.

He has a great job. They treat him extremely well and have been very supportive of us. Sometimes it's frustrating having him always on call and doing work even when he's off, but the benefits outweigh the extra work.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

November 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
DH works 3rd shift with a rotating schedule. His hours are 11p-7a and every 6 weeks or so he has a weird schedule where he works until 9a anywhere from 1-4 days of his week. We have yet to figure out the pattern. It's so his weeks add up to 40 hours and they don't get an unpaid lunch break. He alternates 2 days and 3 days off every other week and those days off rotate. This week he was off Sunday night and Monday night. Next week he's off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. It's REALLY confusing from the outside, but it totally makes sense to us! We actually don't always like when he has weekends off because it means running errands with the rest of the world His schedule is awesome when we want to go someplace because we can take 10 days and it doesn't affect his time off as much. He builds up PTO for the 5 work days and the other 5 are just his normal days off.
November 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree Mylene thats the schedule dh had for a year and we really, really liked it. We went to FL for 10 days and he only took off i think 4 days?

I forgot dh doesnt have holidays off or a paid lunch break either. He can go heat up food or run and go get something but nothing where he can say "oh i'm clocking out to eat no one bother me"

November 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Nope, no holidays off here either. If only criminals and asshats would stop doing stupid things on holidays... DH gets 30 mins to leave the console and eat in the break room, but he used to have an hour unpaid and could come home. It was always weird to hear someone prowling around at 4 a.m.
November 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
DH is salaried and doesn't really have a schedule. He's manager of a bank branch so he's there pretty much all the time. His commute is only two minutes, which helps, but he just got promoted to be in charge of two other branches a little further away in addition to his branch. A 12 hour day is normal for him plus he works one Saturday a month. He is never home for dinner during the week. Most nights he's not home until after the girls go to bed. He does get bank holidays off, well he ends up going in to catch up on paperwork for a few hours those days.

It's hard with him working so much, but he's been doing it for about a year now. He does his best to get home at a reasonable time if I need him

November 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH works under the Sheriff's Dept in the county. He's hourly since his job requires overtime and he makes more being hourly compared to having a set salary.

His schedule is M-F, but hours change every few months. Right now he works 7am to 4pm, in a few months he'll change to 8am to 5pm, and then a few months later 9am to 6pm. That way his coworkers all get different shifts as well and no one is always working the early or late shift, etc. He's also on call at least one week a month and 1 or 2 weekends. He gets paid a set amount for every hour of call, plus if he's called out then he gets paid time and a half or more. He doesn't work on holidays for the day, but he may be on call. He gets paid extra though and he gets a floating holiday for every holiday he has to be on call.

Oh, and he gets an hour for lunch every day and he usually comes home for it. His job requires a lot of driving around the county, so he has a work vehicle, etc.

November 11th, 2011, 09:38 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH works for my sister's company as a courier driver. They work M-F from 8-5, they don't technically get breaks or a lunch hour, they drive all day and eat and whatever else when they can/want. He's paid salary, gets weekends off and we usually get home about the same time everyday, or I might be home to start dinner a little earlier some days. I'm the one who has to stay late sometimes for work, like for parent-teacher nights or staff meetings, student dances or student council activities. I try to limit those nights though, usually I'm only home late once or twice a month. He gets 3 weeks of paid vacation each year so he usually takes some time off between Christmas and New Year so we can spend that time together and this year he might take March Break off too.

November 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH is on a salary--he works in purchasing and sourcing for a big company in town that makes/buys/sells parts for oil companies. He works Mon-Fri from 8-5, but is always there early and stays way late. He is home for dinner (usually around 6) and most always works at home too (he has a company laptop). He loves his job, and is really good at it! He got the standard raise in July (whole company gives raises in July) but just this week got another raise (about 13% more) because he is working so much and he needed more pay! lol The company he works at is really the best place in our town to work at...with great pay and awesome benefits and flexible schedules (he started out weekends fri/sat/sun 5am-5pm working 36 hours and getting paid for 40) the next best place to work is Wal Mart haha

November 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
DH technically is salary, but gets overtime as well. So I guess he's somehwat hourly? His hours are flexible, he just has to get 80 hours in a pay period. Usually he gets in around 9 or 9:30 and gets home around 6. He only gets the major holidays off, but is like Robert's company where they get the entire week between Christmas and New Years off. He has great benefits and gets 3 weeks of vacation a year, with the ability to roll 60 hours from one year to the next. So he's doing that this year in hopes that I'll need him home after baby 3. If not, we'll do something extra fun.
Caroline - November '12

November 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dh works M-F 7-4 right now. He's hourly. About 4 times a year, he works a load of overtime where he works 6-6 7 days per week for 2-3 weeks. He just interviewed for a new job, and if he gets it it will be second shift, probably 3-11 with a paid lunch.

November 13th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH is hourly, but they figure out how many hours he will work in the year and divide up the pay so that every pay period he is paid the same. So it seems like salary! He works M-F from 7 to 3:30 with a 30 minute unpaid lunch. He gets a week off at Christmas and 3 days at Thanksgiving. They are unpaid, but since they figure that into the contract, his pay doesn't change during those weeks. he also gets normal holidays and things like Martin Luther King day and President's Day since he works for the school district. During the summer he works from 6 to 4:30 M-Th and has Friday off. So he has 3 day weekends all summer, which is nice because I am off all summer! it is a great schedule since I work 7 to 2:30. By the time I get Jed from daycare, he is getting home and we have all afternoon and evening together.

He also ends up with overtime in the winter when it snows and ices. He gets called in super, super early to plow and salt the parking lots in all the schools.

November 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
DF works 7-5 m-f and will work Saturdays 8-12 if we have a sitter (cuz I work Saturdays). He is paid hourly so almost always has a little overtime because he works a lot of Saturdays. I'm the one that's not home for dinner 3 days a week because I work 2nd shift. He has all major holidays off!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH works M-F - 8am-5pm. We just moved closer to his job- its now a 10 min commute instead of 45. He is salary and I think gets 2 weeks vacation. He is also in the Air National Guard and works one weekend a month- 2 weeks out of the year. He pretty much uses his vaca time to serve in the Military. We are so due to a family vacation....last year we spent one day at the lake together in the summer. He is hoping to bank some days from this year that will carry into next year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search