Care to Share?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Your favorite Christmas cookie recipes!

I think I want to start making the cookie dough and freezing it so it's easier to make them when the time comes!
November 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hard to narrow it a favorite for me, but I guess Hamentaschen is my fave. I make over 1000 cookies total (tons of varieties) for Christmas every year, and this one is one that I make every year without fail.

Cookie ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
Filling (either prune, apricot or plum, or poppy seed)

Filling ingredients:

Prune:
1 12oz package pitted prunes
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Heat prunes with enough water to cover to boiling in saucepan; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes; drain. Mash prunes, stir in remaining ingredients.

Apricot or plum (my personal fave is apricot):
1 1/2 cups apricot or plum jam
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds or walnuts
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
about 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

Mix jam, nuts, lemon peel and lemon juice. Stir in enough bread crumbs until it is thickened.

Poppy seed filling:
1 cup poppy seed
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg white

Place all ingredients in blender or food processor; blend until smooth.

Cookie directions:
Mix flour, sugar and baking powder in large bowl. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or 2 crisscrossing knives, until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Mix lemon peel, vanilla and eggs in another bowl. Stir into flour mixture until dough forms a ball, you can use your hands for this if needed and add up to 1/4 cup more flour if it gets too sticky. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm.

Prepare desired filling. Heat oven to 350F. Roll half of dough out to 1/8 thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut into 3-inch rounds using cutter or drinking glass. Spoon 1 teaspoon filling into each round. Bring up the sides to form a triangle around the filling. Pinch edges together. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove immediately to cookie rack.

Here's a pic from online so you can see what they should look like

November 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Mine is an oatmeal caramel bar. It's not hard it just takes a long time. You can't freeze it or make it ahead though

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups quick oats
3 sticks of butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp baking soda

Combine ingredients. Press half of mixture into 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Sprinkle 12 oz chocolate chips over crust.

While crust is baking, combine 14 oz package of caramels and 1/2 evaporated milk in a double boiler. Stir until caramels have completely melted. Pour over chocolate chips and crust. Sprinkle remainder of oat mixture over the top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

They are delicious but especially delightful if served a bit warm so the chocolate and caramel are gooey. I make these every Christmas to give as gifts but also for the family Christmas dinner.
November 15th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Over 1000??? OMG!! Do you give them as pressies??

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search