Talking...who has kiddos still not talking? Anyone have a speech eval done?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
lovethatbabysmell's Avatar Veteran
Reid is 16 months. He walked at 9, but still only says mama. UGH. Being a teacher, this kills me. Our pedi says it is not a big deal because he follows commands (sit on your butt, give me that, spin, clap, dance, come here) but he won't say anything. He has been mumbling a lot more. They said his breathing issue may have caused a delay... Anyone looking into speech evals?
November 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sam has some words (maybe 20-30ish at this point)but just wanted to let you know try not to worry too much. My dd didn't really talk at all until after she turned 2, she barely even babbled very much and one day she just woke up and started talking and at almost 4 her speech is through the roof, she barely stops talking...ever! LOL Good luck with the eval, can't hurt to get it checked out but some kids are just later talkers, I know it's hard not to worry though.
November 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Man N Cheese's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
::::Raises hand::: Ayla communicates mostly through signs, her speech is 0. She does babble and sing, and is now making up new signs to say what she wants, but really only says Up. She tries to say things like cheese, banana, breakfast, lunch, etc but to the casual observer they all sound the same ;-) DS3 didn't really start to talk until he was three, and is a very bright and intelligent boy (now 9), so I have no concerns. She follows directions she loves to have stories read to her, so I'm not all that worried.
November 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Same here - Emily says dada and wow and "dare" which we think means "there" (she uses it when she points to something).

But she understands everything we are saying, and communicates quite well in her own way.

Like Kim, my first was also not a talker until about 2 - he had a handful of words, and then it just exploded. Between 2 and 3 was crazy... but up till 2, he had very very few words. I spent a lot of time worrying about it, talked to my doc, etc. because I felt like he wasn't "matching" what the books said he should be doing.

With Emily, she's at the same stage DS was at this age, and I'm not worrying. I've talked to the doctor about it and certainly it's a bit behind the average, but in my gut I don't have any concern that there's an issue. She's smart, engaged, interested, communicates in other ways, and knows what people are saying to her...

So, I think ti's important to be aware of it and keep an eye on it, but I think a LOT of kids don't really get going till later than the "average" and they all catch up to the same point. My DS has a vocabulary that is far larger than most kids his age, including those who were talking six to nine months before him

November 12th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Elias has a total of two words. He says amen (ah-mn), and uh-oh. That's it. I was considering a speech eval but he's starting to talk more, even if it's all nonsense, so we're holding off on it. Language-wise he's well above average, he spontaneously uses 30-40 signs and even combines them into phrases. He follows instructions, both one and two step, and understand pretty much everything we say to him, so for now we feel he's okay. We'll see what the dr says in January, but I think he's just being slow.
November 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Julie has about 5 words that we can understand. She is always talking but we can't understand what she says. I've thought about her having a delay but then I always say....naw, she does everything else though.
November 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Xavier only says peekaboo and uhoh. Kai didnt start talking till he was about 2.5yrs so im not worried at all.

November 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Noelle has a ton of words and talks all the time - some of it is clear and the rest is babble that I have learned to decipher. Someone mentioned to me the other day it's like she speaks a foreign language that only I understand.

That said, my younger brother (now 19) didn't really talk at all until he was almost 3. He didn't sign and didn't really babble either. He would grunt and point, but that was about all. He's 19 now and super smart. When he did start talking, he didn't just use words but said entire sentences. I guess he was happy to sit back and observe the world, and when he was ready he let it all out.

While it is good to keep an eye on it, I wouldn't worry too much if he is showing understanding and has worked out some way to communicate with you.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
November 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
shannonranee
Natalie didnt say a single word until about 14 months - now at 19 months she says about 30-35 words. the words that she knows the sign for she will not say though - she will only sign so her audiologist and speech theapists all told us to stop teaching her signs now that she does talk so that she has to use her words. they are going to reevaluate her hearing and speech atage 2 and again at age 5.
November 12th, 2011, 11:23 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Einstein didn't talk until he was three!

Ben says maybe 5 words and various sounds. He still does not say Mama or Dada unless we say it first, so he's just parroting. We are going to get him into Early Start, because even though I'm not worried, I thought it couldn't hurt to have some extra schooling.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

November 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No real talking here either yet. Dallas says "no" and "uh-oh" pretty regularly, but not much else. She CAN say baby, dada, mama but she chooses not to. She is ALWAYS babbling and I can tell the babble is developing. I think she might have some other words, but I can't decipher them. I try not to worry since it's clear she makes an effort to communicate and can understand simple, basic commands just fine. If it's still a problem around age 2, I might look into some sort of evaluation just to reassure myself though.

On another note- she is a total paci baby. Ever since she started teething badly around 14 months, she has not been without it. So I have been thinking it might be the reason she is not talking as much.

November 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
handymandy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elliot does not say a thing. She says "uh oh" clearly and uses it appropriately and says something along the lines of "Thank you" and uses that appropriately. She follows commands and knows what you are saying and responds with head nodding or shaking when you ask her if she wants a certain thing. We try to get her to say milk, juice, etc when she wants something, but she just gets frustrated and throws a fit and we give in. hmmm whose fault huh? So, I'm not TOO worried, yet. I do worry a little though. When we go to the doctor in December for a check up I will be asking again. I asked at her last appointment and her pediatrician didn't seem concerned. That was a few months ago and now we will be going to a new pediatrician, since we have moved. So, we shall see. Oh and she babbles like crazy and answers you back in her own language and you can carry on a conversation with her like that., you just have no idea what she's talking about LOL!

November 13th, 2011, 02:04 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gabriel just babbles and grunts and has no real words. Frustrating sometimes, but what can you do? He can follow commands in both Japanese and English, makes good eye contact, and loves to look at and listen to books. We had him evaluated a few weeks ago and he scored great on everything but "expressive speech" (talking). The evaluator said there's no need to worry until he's age two and still not talking.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

November 13th, 2011, 07:11 PM
lovethatbabysmell's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for making me feel better. If I turn on the vacuum, he starts "babbling" with his little hands waving like crazy and will run up to me and do it. He babbles much more than before so I am hoping it is because he is the only baby and no other kids that talk and show him. He loves to be read to and hold and flip through books. I will try not to worry. We go right after Christmas to have his 18 month check up.
November 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alicia's vocabulary consists of hi, mama, dada, jaja (grandpa) baba (grandma) yuck and 2/3 words in polish...so not much. But she understand pretty much anything I ask her, answers correctly with a yes or no and follows lots of commands in polish and english so she's not talking but she is still communicating with us and I know exactly what she wants without her saying a word. I wouldn't worry too much, they are still young and some starting talking early while others dont care to talk lol.

Last edited by ChoMomma; November 14th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
November 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jaxon has about 5-7 words he says well. He has gotten alot better just in the last couple of weeks. I figure I wont worry about it until after 18months.
November 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sarah's in the same boat. She babbles lots and says some words, but follows commands so I know she's comprehending. My oldest started saying words @ 9mo and was talking well by 18mo. My son didn't really start to talk until after age 2 and now that he's 3 he doesn't stop. I imagine Sarah will fall somewhere in the middle since she talks more than her brother did at her age but less then her older sister. I am more content now just to let her be on her own developmental schedule.

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search