Thanksgiving and Christmas food?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
What is on the menu for for your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner?

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

November 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For Thanksgiving, I'm making lentil loaf, roasted redskin potatoes, green bean casserole and vegan pumpkin pie.

My mom and sister are doing mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffed squash, herbal rice stuffing, and homemade cranberry sauce.

My brother in law had to have a turkey and...canned corn. So I'll be giving him all kinds of grief about that

Christmas I haven't really thought about yet....we had a Mexican feast last year so I'd love to do a bunch of Asian food this time.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

November 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanksgiving is just going to be our little family of 4, so I'm going pretty simple. Ham, mashed potatoes, maybe sausage dressing since I love it, sweet potatoes, some roasted veggies, and either homemade apple, pecan or pumpkin pie.

For Christmas, I'm doing a roast beef, turkey and ham. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, roasted veggies, sausage dressing, macaroni and cheese, quiche, cookies, cheesecake and pie. Oh, and probably 1-3 salads as well (pasta, Caesar and a regular green salad).

November 16th, 2011, 05:20 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Our Thanksgiving is a potluck dinner at our house. We'll have 16-20 people this year. My dad fries a turkey, makes cranberry relish, pecan pie, and hopefully his cranberry upside down cake. DH's uncle smokes a turkey and makes sausage stuffing. DH's aunt makes homemade rolls and does the gravy. My SIL does homemade mac and cheese. If my sister comes (she just had baby #3 last week so who knows), she usually does a vegetable of some sort but I won't make her cook if she shows up. I make cheesy hashbrown potato casserole, sweet potato casserole, 3 layer jello salad, pumpkin pie, and Derby pie.

At Christmas, we do Christmas Eve dinner with my family and Christmas day brunch with DH's family so we bring food to each meal. My dad gets a ham, broccoli casserole, ambrosia, homemade chocolate covered cherries, homemade chocolate covered peanut butter balls, homemade sugar coated peanuts. I bring the cheesy potato casserole again and do my oatmeal caramel bars.

For brunch my SIL makes egg and sausage casserole, maybe some stuffed French toast, and fruit salad. I again bring another cheesy potato casserole (it's always requested) and oatmeal caramel bars.
November 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Thanksgiving is going to be the usual - turkey, dressing, corn, rolls, mashed potatoes, pecan pie and we get my brother the tiny can of cranberry "sauce" But in the morning we're going to have snacks and stuff during the football game. Pigs in a blanket, party weenies, chips and cheese, that sort of thing. My parents and siblings will be here so it won't be too crazy, but we like to go all out.

Christmas is just the 4 of us so I have no idea what we'll do. DH has to work Christmas Eve night and will be home at 7 a.m. Christmas day. I'll probably make some cinnamon rolls, maybe even from scratch this year... Maybe we'll do a roast? He's got to work that night again so who knows...it could end up mac and cheese and hot dogs
November 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanksgiving- Turkey, ham, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, mac&cheese, salad, rolls, glazed carrots, and an assortment of deserts

Christmas Eve- we always do all day appetizers. With so many kids, I need all the time I can get to focus on the fun traditions...it's so much smoother if I don't have to do organized meals. SO, in the morning I set out platters of doughnuts, fruit, bagels and cream cheese ect and around noon I exchange that out for things like mini- sandwiches, pizza rolls, veggies, bread, chips and dip ect...around five or so I will replenish that stuff and maybe put out some wings, maybe pulled pork in the crock pot or heartier sandwich fixins.. everyone is free to graze all day long...there is not official breakfast, lunch or dinner. The kids can eat as much or as little as they want and at any time. It runs so smoothly. I love it.

Christmas Day- I usually make a traditional dinner. Usually a ham and the fixins that go with it. Thinking of doing Italian this year though...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
November 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanksgiving is just the three of us so i'm not sure what we'll eat. Dh works, he'll be home around 4... he likes to grill our turkey so we might wait until Friday to have the meal so he can do it since he's off work Fri and Sat. Otherwise we'll just have stuffing, rolls, cheesey corn (dh wants it), mashed potatoes etc

Christmas Eve we have a family party thats kind of a potluck i guess you'de say. My dads sisters and aunts make all kinds of stuff... we usually have some sort of pasta, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cabbage and noodles i think is there also. My mom also makes a broccoli casserole and there are other veggies and desserts of course

Christmas morning we usually have cinnamon buns or monkey bread. Christmas Night we dont really do anything. It'll probably just be my family with my mom bec/ my sister and her dh and daughter have to leave to make dinner with his family so we'll probably just have chicken nuggets, haha.

November 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
Thanksgiving this year is with DH's family, but still in our town so no traveling involved! Hallelujah! I think their Thanksgiving dinners are sort of lame, but oh well. I'm bringing the rolls, mashed potatoes and a dessert that isn't pie nor pumpkin. I'm thinking a double batch of cake pops again. They're so yummy!

Christmas is with my family, but I don't know what plans will be. We used to all get together on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, but since each family is beginning to have their own traditions, we now just do Christmas day. Food wise? Probably brisket and ham and all the delicious trimmings. Enough dessert to go crazy.
Caroline - November '12

November 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Alisha- in what way are DH's family's Thanksgivings lame? Do elaborate!!!!!!

November 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM
They don't eat anything different than any other Sunday dinner. Sometimes there isn't even turkey. The only thing new is pumpkin everything...pumpkin roll, pie, parfait, cookies, muffins. I don't particularly like pumpkin and prefer to have special foods...stuffing, glazed carrots, different types of dessert, jello without fruit in it. It just doesn't seem special in anyway, except it is on Thursday instead of Sunday.
Caroline - November '12

November 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
That sucks that they don't do anything special for Thanksgiving.

My Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are really similar. Dh and I don't like ham, so we do turkey for both.
On Thanksgiving we will do a baked turkey, stuffing, yams, pumpkin pie, peanut butter pie, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, rolls, vegetable tray, fruit salad, corn casserole, and gravy.
On Christmas we will do a fried turkey, stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes, rolls, potato wedges, green bean casserole, vegetable tray, chocolate cream pie, cookies, german chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, fruit and cheese tray, and corn casserole.
Since my parents will be here for christmas I may also make a spiral ham because my parents love ham. I love having leftovers, so I always make way to much food. Also we will be having some navy guys that don't have a place to go come over to our house for both dinners. I don't like hearing about them eating at the galley on a holiday like that especially since I make so much food, and I like to think that my cooking is better than the galley. Lol.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

November 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanksgiving this year is at my in-laws (we rotate each year) which sucks because I prefer my mom's meal. But we will have turkey, mashed potatoes, a few veggies and dessert. Pretty standard.

Christmas eve we usually go out to dinner with my family and we have Japanese. Christmas mornign is a big breakfast with eggs, biscuits and gravy, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage and fruit.

Christmas dinner is with my in-laws and we usually have Ham and some appetizers.

November 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Alisha- that really stinks. Oh wow, that would be horrible....an a bit of an overkill on the pumpkin themed foods!!!!! Yikes!

November 17th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks Angela, I tend to be a little judgmental when it comes to them because they drive me crazy, but I really do think it's lame. And seriously, the PUMPKIN is enough to drive you mad! Luckily, my mom saves me all my favorite foods from their dinner, so I still get some.

Plus this year everyone is together for the first tiem since mine and my DH's wedding, but only for one day. So I arranged (and am paying) for us to get pictures taken Thanksgiving morning. One sister hung up on me when I told her when, because she wanted to run in a 5k that morning.
Caroline - November '12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search