What do you think of this?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We just got a note about my step daughters Christmas concert at school this year... and the note said that if the kids dont know all the words to the songs they dont get to participate in the concert! Am i the only one that thinks this is really mean? M (her name starts with m also ) loves to sing so i'm sure she knows all the words but still, to work on the songs all year then not get to at least stand up there and act like you know the words? not cool!

November 17th, 2011, 07:05 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
That does seem pretty harsh! I wonder what the reasoning for that is?
November 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i'm not sure... possible space maybe? They usually do two grades at the same time and the high school's auditorium is pretty packed and its kind of hard to fit all the kids on the stage....? But thats about all i can think of. They're also saying its "different" this year but the only real difference there is that the kids are wearing casual clothes instead of dress clothes and that they're excluding half the kids!

November 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I see it from the teacher's side of it too and wonder if it's because many of the kids aren't taking it seriously? I know that there's nothing that irks me more than when my students bug me to do something and then I end up doing all the work because they get bored half way and don't feel like putting the effort or time in to get it finished. Maybe it's more of an incentive for the kids who don't take it seriously and aren't trying to learn the words. Plus, it would probably make the other kids look like they didn't practice if they are all up there together and half of them don't know the words while the other half worked really hard all year to learn the songs and can't wait to perform them.

What age are they? I think age also makes a difference...if they are old enough to learn the song by themselves, then I'd say it's their responsability if they want to be in the show. It does sound like the note may have been a bit harshly worded, but I have to say that depending on the circumstances, I could see the reasoning behind it.

November 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i guess that makes sense... shes in second grade and her concert is for 2&3. i'm not sure if they do it for k and 1 also (they didnt last year, maybe it something they do for the slightly older kids?, i dunno) my problem is i wonder if there is some sort of test or if the teacher just pays attention to see who knows the words?i have extreme fear of public speaking but i am okay in a group so, if i was put through some sort of audition at that age i would have frozen up and not been able to participate probably

November 17th, 2011, 08:02 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
That seems a bit harsh given the age of the kids
November 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a bit harsh as well and I'm generally pretty strict. I can also see it from the teacher's perspective if they are working hard to put on a nice show and some kids just want to goof around and not try but again, we are talking about 7 years olds. It's normal that they might forget a few words. Maybe the teacher could just privately talk to the parents of kids who are "slackers" and not really trying. But otherise I think it's pretty harsh to say that 7 year olds have to know all the words or they can't participate.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
November 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm of the opinion that if you are going to exclude some students for a class presentation, then you shouldn't have one at all. These kids aren't professional performers
November 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a bit harsh. I agree with Courtney about not having a performance if they expect that. Kids are going to forget words anyway, even if they've been practicing for months. It should be a fun event for the students and not something that makes them stressed at this age.

November 17th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
okay good, i thought i was crazy. She usually knows all the words so i think she'll be okay but i guess we'll see!

November 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully it's one of those situations where the teacher makes a strong statement like that in hopes that the kids would take it seriously and try really hard but in reality she would not really exclude kids for messing up a few words...that's my hope at least!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
November 19th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Courtney completely! That's a bit harsh and they shouldn't exclude any of the kids.

November 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf4976 View Post
Hopefully it's one of those situations where the teacher makes a strong statement like that in hopes that the kids would take it seriously and try really hard but in reality she would not really exclude kids for messing up a few words...that's my hope at least!
You'll have to let us know afterwards if they excluded any of them...I'm curious now.

November 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy's Avatar Mega Momma
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy
given the age and their attention span i dont agree with the note! they should be able to participate !

November 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well she says she knows the words so hopefully we'll be attending! lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search