Thank You Notes

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 07:29 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
For what occasions do you write thank you notes?

How long do you usually give yourself to get them out?

After what period of time do you say...too late?

I'm just wondering because I sent thank you notes for Max's first birthday (my mom made us write thank you notes for EVERYTHING growing up. Even if we had previously been able to thank the giver in person. I kind of think a lot of it is overkill, but it's so ingrained in me now that I have a hard time not sending them.) and a few other things recently. I just realized I missed two important thank you notes that I should have sent out from Labor Day weekend and from Max's birthday. Is it too late to send them now? Would it be tackier to just not send them or to send them this late?

November 21st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For what occasions do you write thank you notes? Weddings, Showers (bridal & baby) and kid birthday parties.

How long do you usually give yourself to get them out? I love to try to get them out within 1-2 weeks of the event.

After what period of time do you say...too late? Probably when it's been over a month

My parents did the same thing. At this point I'd probably just skip the thank you note since it's so late as long as you were able to thank them in person. If you weren't, maybe you can give them a call and explain how crazy things have been with the move and such but their actions weren't overlooked and were appreciated?

November 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For what occasions do you write thank you notes? Any formal event (wedding or baby shower and wedding) even if we were able to thank in person because I wanted to say something specific about the gifts since they nice or any gifts we receive any time if we are unable to thank the person face to face.

How long do you usually give yourself to get them out? Always within a week. I am the kind of person that likes to get things done and check it off my list.

After what period of time do you say...too late? Never do

If you were able to thank in person and just missed sending an additional thank you note, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you weren't able to thank at all, I would send something.

I also had to write thank you notes as a kid. I think it is important for kids to express their thanks. My mom had a rule that we couldn't play with, read, wear, etc the gift until the thank you card was done for it.

Nathan has been doing thank you notes since he turned 5. I have been shocked that the handful of thank you notes we have received from kids his age or older still have the parents writing the notes or have a generic one done on the computer-which to me shows little effort. (Thanks for the birthday gift and coming to my party).
November 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For what occasions do you write thank you notes? birthday parties, Holidays, really anytime ppl do something nice, giving, participating i really try to do thank you notes.

How long do you usually give yourself to get them out? i try to get them out right away or at least within a week

After what period of time do you say...too late? a month
November 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
For what occasions do you write thank you notes? Birthdays and formal events. I do write thank you notes to my students for Christmas gifts as well.

How long do you usually give yourself to get them out? I tell myself I'm going to do it quickly, but I'm a procrastinator, so it can take a while.

After what period of time do you say...too late? It's never too late, but I would explain that life has been crazy hectic and you apologize for sending it so late. (We had that happen with a check that was given to us after Betsy was born -- seriously, I had put the thing up on a shelf and in my sleep deprived state forgotten about it and didn't remember it until she got Christmas checks -- 3 months later!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search