Going crazy with signs!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2011, 07:55 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
I have used very simple signs with Luke. One of Evan's daycare teachers signed with E his entire infancy. Evan was signing please until he was 2.75. He was a signing champ. Well, second kid...you know the story. That teacher doesn't work in the infants room anymore so the only signs he has gotten has been from me and sparse.
But...lately he has been a signing fool!! He loves all done and hi and bye (I know this is just a wave, but I thought he' NEVER wave). He just asked for more cheerios when his tray was empty and attempted water which really looked like he was beating himself in the chin, but I'll take it! I am going to start the sleep sign and please and thank you hoping he'll pick up on it.

What are some of your favorite signs to do with baby?

November 23rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Teresa will sign more, milk (although we say drink for this since she uses it for anytime she wants a drink-water or milk from a cup or nursing), and please. She has also been doing a double milk sign when she wants whatever you have in your hand-she'll do it to Lukas and follow up with a please-so cute!

We've been trying to get her to do thank you, but she's not into it.

She also waves and says bye-bye and just yesterday started saying hi. After not hearing Lukas talk until after 2 years old, it makes my heart melt to hear Teresa saying words and trying to mimic us.
November 23rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeay!! WTG!

we didn't do great with keeping up on signing with Kaylee ... so she only does milk.
November 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gideon does 'more' morning-night. He does milk, rarely, and like Theresa he will do the double milk if he wants what is in your hand.

I've really been trying with please and thank you, but he will have none of it

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

November 23rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great!!

Gabriel signs for "more", "eat" (like all day long ), "sleep", "all done" and "milk". He's started shaking his head "no" a lot lately too.

November 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Teresa will also shake her head yes and no and lately has wagged her finger to mimic me when I tell her no.
November 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They teach them at daycare and his favorite is "baby" although there's really no use for it, lol. He does "more" and shakes his head "no" entirely too often. Been trying to teach please and thank you also but hes not feeling it

November 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
lilybell08's Avatar Bethany
Ella signs milk, more, all done, please, read, and bath regularly and will sometimes sign thank you, mom, and dad. She also will sign aunt to my sister. Since Matthew is still delayed with his speaking I feel the same way as Kris and it just melts my heart that Ella is picking up signs and words so quickly. I wish Matthew would want to sign too.
November 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
~Constance~
I love signing! Fairfax doesn't sign much but she wants to. I wasn't getting anywhere with just signing to her. She signed only half a dozen things until a couple weeks ago. I decided to be more aggressive with the signs along with "preventive" speech therapy. I actually grab her hands and use them to do the sign after I show her. It's working! Although, she likes to use "more" as her catchall for wanting food and "milk" as her catchall for wanting attention from me.
I try to do signs mostly for things Faira would want from me but not know how to say yet. I'm not dedicated enough to use it as a real language. I mean, it's awesome if you know what you're doing and can teach your child "elephant" and "elevator" and neat stuff like that but practically, those aren't things that she'd be likely to be frustrated about in everyday situations.
Having food, a drink, favorite toys and people, comfort, rest, social interactions and fun are things that are the biggest parts of a toddler's world so that's what I'm focusing on with signs.
I think this is going to be a fun year for signing and very helpful for language and social development.
November 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
We haven't been as good about signing with Chase as we were with Tenli. However, he has been signing a lot more lately. He signs milk, more, eat, please, all done, daddy and mommy. He has even started combining eat and more. Tenli never did that.

November 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
That's so neat, Amanda!! Yay Luke!!

Max signed eat to me today, and lo and behold, he was hungry! I went through the McDonald's drive through (on the way home from the airport) and he actually ate for about the first time in 5 days

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search