Michaels birthday party options (help me choose please!)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think i've talked about this before... but anyway, i'm about 75% sure i want to have Michaels birthday party out of the house. Our house is small and we are inviting a wide range of kids so i'de like there to be an activity they can do without tearing up my house. So, i have three options all of which are about the same price. We are inviting 2 1 year olds (1 18 month, 1 17 month), a 3 year old, 2 5 year olds, a 6 year old, an 8 year old, SDD (and three infants who wouldnt be playing) plus anyone else we think of between now and then.

Option 1 - Monkey Joes http://www.monkeyjoes.com/... this is a big place full of inflatable bounce house type things. We took Michael (and SDD) there last week and they both loved it. There were only two things Michael could really play in but Sdd being 7.5 could play on everything and she had a GREAT time she didnt want to leave... there are private party rooms where the parents would hang out and it includes paper products, invites and drinks for the kids (and optional pizza) - price is $200-$239 depending on how many kids. The drawback is this play is INSANELY busy... annoying for parents but i doubt kids would care?

Option 2 - Kidz play - for some reason the website is down but its like a big indoor playplace... kind of like Mcdonalds but huge. The main plus of this place is that you can have a private party i believe, so, there would be no other kids there but the drawback is i think its a bit above M's age level so he would probably need alot of help/supervision while he's playing. I can't remember the price but its around the same as Monkey Joes and also includes paper products and drinks for the kids

Option 3 - our community center gymnastics studio - we havent been here yet, we're trying to go sometime next week to check it out but i think its just a giant gym type thing. M's speech teacher says he would really like it... and they have open gym for older kids so i assume older ones would also but i dont know. Price is $150-$200 depending on the length that we want but doesnt include anything (so really the price would equal out in the end). Not as "flashy" as Monkey Joe's or the other place but could be just as fun

All place you have to bring your own cake. So what do you think? Right now i'm leaning towards Monkey Joe's bec/ i know both M and my SDD really liked it but as a parent would you care that there are a ton of kids there?

November 30th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I would check out your 3rd option before you make any decisions and then go with the place where M will have the most fun since after all it is HIS birthday! I know you want all the kids to have a good time but I think they would at any of the places so I would decide what M would like best!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with Shea! I know me as a parent tend to stay away from super busy places. It stresses me out trying to watch my kids in among everyone's elses. I would check out the community center before I made a decision. Monkey Joes sounds like fun!!

November 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Without going too the gymnastics place yet, he definitely would have more fun at monkey joe's vs the other play place... but thats the crazy one and i dont want to annoy the other parents!

November 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have Bounce U by you? It's Monkey Joes but for private parties. Same premise except you don't have to deal with 50 other kids not with your party. We had DD's 5th birthday there.
November 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Umm, ill have to check... probably not though, i live ina crappy area

November 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I'd probably go for Monkey Joes. To heck with the other parents, this is your kid's birthday party. If Mikey is going to have a good time, go there. But, that's just the selfish me talking.
Caroline - November '12

November 30th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd go with wherever you think M is going to have the most fun. Lily's 3rd birthday with her friends was at a bounce house place. It was a joint party for her and one friend of hers that turned 3 a few days prior. We didn't want to rent it out since it was just a small party of her friends (like 8 kids, plus parents), so they ran around with other kids there. It was totally fine. The place did let us use their food room for free though for a private lunch and cake, which was nice.

November 30th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say check out 3 and then decide. I do like the monkey joes idea- that both kids will have a blast....tough one!
December 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Sorry, I'm lurking. Juliet and I went to a Monkey Joe's party last weekend for our neighbor's 3 year old. Juliet was only allowed on one or two play things and she didn't like it... but that's just her (she's not quite 18 months yet, I'm from the May PR ) She wanted to be on the big ones with the big kids. The 3 year old bday boy could go on everything and loved it, but he had a hard time getting up some of the inflatables (he is tiny for his age, Juliet's pretty average and they weigh the same and he's just a couple inches taller). His "guests" were mostly cousins around ages 5-8 who seemed to have a great time. The party was a little earlier in the day, 11:30-1:30 and, at least that location, wasn't as crowded for those times. They stayed after the party to continue playing and said it got much more crowded and crazy. So maybe if you have his party a little earlier, you can avoid the crowds? It probably helped it was Thanksgiving weekend when we were there though. We had to be out of the room by 1:30, but all the guests could stay as long as they wanted to play.

They birthday boy sat in a big inflatable chair at the head of the table and a staff member served pizza, and later cupcakes, to all the kids. She went around asking what type of pizza the kids wanted, when she saw they were done with one slice she'd ask if they wanted more. The parents got to sit back and relax for that part. She also cleaned up the plates and stuff when they were done.

Overall I think they had a great time and it was worth it for them

Last edited by -erin-; December 2nd, 2011 at 08:16 AM.
December 2nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the input! We went there a few weeks ago and even though he could only play on a couple of the things he loved it, appreciate the thoughts!

December 3rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sam, I'd go with the place you know M will love. I think that most of the time when your kid is invited to a birthday party you know it will be a zoo in that place and you expect it and do it because the kids love it. I wouldn't worry about stressing out other parents. Heck, they have parties for thier kids at places like that too. It's so much fun watching the kids...if you know M loves it, then just go with that...other parents will be cool about it because thier kids love it too and they want their kid to enjoy it also...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
December 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
totally lurking.... we always booked party places for my older DS birthday partys.... we book it for his 2nd and 3rd parties on Sunday 4-6.... as long as people are not coming from far away to drive home... that way we didn't pay the perimium to get the place with out other kids but there only is a few kids (there were 3 other kids at his 3rd party). It makes it so much less stressful but no more $
by 4 most kids at play places are heading home, esp on a Sunday

Hope you have an awesome party where ever you decide!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search