Christmas presents?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Do you have any traditions that you do with your presents? When do you open them? Do you open any on Christmas eve? Do you put presents out as you get them, or do you put them all out for Christmas morning?

The kids get to open a present on Christmas eve, and that is always pajamas for them to wear for Christmas. Then when they get up Christmas morning they get their stockings, and I make breakfast. After we eat breakfast they get to open the rest of their presents. I don't put any of our presents under my tree until the kids are in bed on Christmas eve. If family members send a gift then I will put that under the tree when we get it, but most people don't send gifts.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

November 30th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We go to my dads side of the familys Christmas Eve Party on Christmas Eve... last year my mom, sister and i went our separate ways and no one went to the party and it was the first time any of us had missed it, it was kind of depressing for me. As it works out with dh's work schedule, i'll probably be going every other year now...

Anyway, at the party Santa comes and brings some presents for the kids. When i was little this is when i got my presents from my Aunts (dads sisters). Its been kind of boring in the past bec/ there were no little kids but this year we'll have 4 so hopefully the whole Santa thing will be getting more interesting again in the coming years while me, my sister and my cousins birth more children

When we get home (to my moms house) - we'll have my sisters family, my family and my mom... we'll open our new jammies. I started doing this for my nieces and nephew when they were little and its evolved and now everyone gets them. I'm not sure if my nieces and nephew will be staying over the night or coming over later in the day but they'll probably get their pj's at the party and wear them over the next day.

When the kids wake up they can open the stuff in their stocking (Santa brings it to their room) until everyone is up... then we all go downstairs and open presents. I guess we usually eat after or during present opening.

I am not sure what we'll do on the years that its just dh, M and i here alone... we might ignore it as long as we can and just act like its not Christmas until M can tell the difference (then celebrate at my moms)

November 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Christmas Eve is when our whole family gets together (30ish ppl) and we have dinner and open presents and have a gift exchange game. My parents stay with us on Christmas eve and we get up Christmas morning and open our gifts from each other. I usually put presents under the tree as I get them and wrap them, however this year I'm not sure if I will do this because I think Peyton will try and open them so I may not put any presents under the tree until Christmas eve. Peyton will get a couple gifts from Santa (not wrapped) that I will set out on Christmas eve after she goes to bed and the rest will be from us and her grandparents that she will get to unwrap.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 30th, 2011, 08:44 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
This year I'm making jammies that the girls will get to open on Christmas Eve. Then after they're in bed we'll get the gifts out. Including the ones to/from DH and myself. We don't put anything under the tree unless it comes from family, which usually doesn't happen. Even then odds are one of the girls will try to open it. DH will be working until 7 a.m. Christmas day so when the girls get up, if he's not home yet we'll do stockings and have breakfast. Then we'll do presents when he gets home.
November 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We always go to dh's family's for Christmas Eve. We open presents then.

And then we come home and open the stuff from my mom and stepdad (one is always jammies to wear that night).

We really don't do Santa gifts, except stockings. And we don't put that out until Christmas Eve after kids go to bed. Other than that, presents go under the tree as they are bought.

We open all of our gifts Christmas morning that are from our little family. Then we have breakfast and hang out in our jammies all day.

November 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have zero traditions. There are different family and church circumstances every year that change how we do things.

When I was a kid we got to open one present on Christmas Eve and the rest were saved for after church on Christmas. I hate traditions, haha. I like to switch things up and just do what feels best at the time.

This year we have church Christmas Eve and two family parties Christmas Day. Our puppy is our Christmas present for the boys and we'll already have her, so there won't be any official "present opening time" with just the four of us this year.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

November 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We go to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. All of us also open new pajamas that night. Last year DH pretended that Santa dropped them off at the front door and Lily was super excited, so I think we're doing that again this year.

I put presents out under the tree from us and other family members before Christmas. The girls don't get into them, so it works for us. The gift from Santa goes under after the girls go to sleep. It's fully assembled and not wrapped. Stockings are stuffed after they go to sleep as well. Gifts are all opened on Christmas morning.

My parents are leaving early on Christmas morning, so we're having our usual Christmas dinner with family/friends on Christmas Eve. I may let the girls open gifts from my parents and other people that evening, then all of our presents on Christmas morning, but I'm not sure yet.

November 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
We're still trying to figure this one out. I'm not planning on putting ornaments on our tree this year, as I don't want to find them all over the house. (I usually put 2000 lights on a 6.5' tree, so I still think it's pretty.

Santa this year is taking the binkies away to give to the babies that need them, and leaving a present in return. That's the plan at least. For the most part, I want only little gifts to be from Santa along with the stocking while everything else is from us.

Since Christmas is on Sunday, I want to have the kids open 2 presents on Christmas eve, their pajamas and their new Christmas outfits. I still have to figure those out. (Shelley, does Gymboree have boys clothes that match their baby girl clothes? Marcus is now wearing 4s, which makes it hard to find outfits in normal stores since he fits better into the boys section than the toddler.) We'll head over to my parents after church on Sunday, or after we've gotten our fill of our presents and need some more attention.
Caroline - November '12

November 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpaper06 View Post
(Shelley, does Gymboree have boys clothes that match their baby girl clothes? Marcus is now wearing 4s, which makes it hard to find outfits in normal stores since he fits better into the boys section than the toddler.)
They do for the holiday lines, but rarely for other lines. Most of their holiday clothing has sold out online though, but you might be able to find some matching stuff in store, or with what is left online. The Newborn Girl holiday line still has stuff though (goes up to size 18-24 month) here Gymboree.com - Infant Clothes, Newborn Clothes, Baby Clothing and Newborn Clothing at Gymboree.

And then for Marcus, it'd be here Gymboree.com - Kids Clothes, Boys Clothes, Children's Clothing and Boys Clothing at Gymboree

The boy's red sweater vest would go with most of the newborn girl stuff. The baby girl holiday stuff has sold out for the most part online though.

December 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We do Christmas Eve dinner and open presents with my family. Then after the girls go to bed, we put out the Santa gift, stockings, and presents for our little family under the tree. We open those just the four of us on Christmas morning first thing. Then we get ready and go to my SIL's to do brunch and presents with DH's family. We always talk about doing midnight mass at church but end up falling asleep or putting together presents at the last minute.
December 4th, 2011, 12:11 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We usually let the kids open one gift on Christmas Eve night, sometimes its the new PJ's for the next morning or sometimes a small toy. Last year, I think it was the sibling gift's that they kids had each gotten each other...
When I was growing up my mom put out the presents as she bought and wrapped them and I used to do the same but now too many small hands get into them so I keep them in my bedroom until Christmas Eve and then I bring them all down and put them under the tree.
After the kids go to bed, Dh and I put out the gifts from Santa..assembled and unwrapped, and then stuff the stockings. On Christmas morning the kids come downstairs and open stockings first and then we open gifts. We eat afterwards.
This year our church has services on Christmas Eve night as well as Christmas morning. I think we might do a Christmas Eve service but not sure yet. I grew up Catholic and I really miss Midnight Mass even though we only went a few times growing up. I'd love to take the kids to a Midnight Mass even though we are a non-denominational family and I'm not Catholic anymore...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search