couponing....

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok i need tips. I have been wanting to try coupons again but here are my hangups.

1. The ones that come in my paper are not that amazing. I feel like I can find the same items as cheap or cheaper if i just do not buy the name brand version.

2. I don't know about websites for coupons that are reputable.

And just b/c i am curious...I watched that extreme couponing show a couple of times and I just do not understand at all how they are able to get so many items for almost nothing since every coupon I looked at seemed to say only one coupon her customer?
December 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Southern Savers organizes it by store
I usually use: Grocery Coupons & Deal Forums - A Full Cup - Coupons
December 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh boy where to begin.....I'm sure this will be a ramble.

I have a couple different sites that I check in on and for the most part they will search out the deals for me and let me know. Maybe check out Frugal Living and Having Fun. She does a pretty good job of letting you know when there are HVC High Value Coupons to be printed and when they will come in handy for really good deals. I do print what coupons I can from swagbucks since I can get some swagbucks for redeeming them. oh Coupon Diva's is another good one to check into. They have several youtub video's that explain how they get some of the deals in detail. Also alot of it does play into what coupon policies you have where you live. I know some stores will have certain times you can triple coupons as well. I don't just get things because I have a coupon, it usually also has to be on sale. Not just a nickel off but something good. You will find that when a coupon comes out the deals might not always be the best....what til closer to the expiration date and what I have found is that the deals get better. They figure most people just use them the first chance you get. Ummm I also a couple times of year will spend a day where when ever I pick up a product I will see if there is a phone number on it and i will call them and tell them what I think about it. I have gotten some really good freebies and HVC that way. I was able to even get DD whole Girl Scout troop free Johnson and Johnson first aid kits for their camping trip.

Places like Rite Aid, Walgreens and CVS has some great deals. CVS even has a green tag. Everytime you scan it on your fourth trip you get $1 registar rewards for you next trip.

I get irritated by watchin Extreme Couponing but DD really likes to watch it because we will pause it and guess what coupon the person has and what the sale will be. LOL

Not sure if that really answered your ?........

December 1st, 2011, 04:18 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
coupon where I live is nothing like what you girls can do.... we get the face value on a coupon (only one per item) and that is it

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Make sure you are getting the largest paper by you. For instance I am about 30 miles outside Chicago, but I get a Chicago paper because the coupons are much better than my local paper (get my mom's from the local one).

I have really been turned off my the Extreme Couponing show, because a lot of what they show is not how it really is-it's done to make a show.

I have been couponing for 4-5 years now and I will say that the deals now are not nearly as good as they were when I started.

If you are not good with remembering prices for various items, start keeping a log of the products you frequently buy and what price you get it for. That way you know when the price is rock bottom and you can stock up when it gets there.
December 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
(Mayhem)'s Avatar ~!Theresa!~
Send a message via MSN to (Mayhem)
I have been attempting to coupon-ish. I have a wton of coupons but really it hardly amounts to anything. Most times the coupons are on brands I don't generally buy because of higher cost so half the time the coupon only gets me to the price I would have paid to purchase the cheaper version. I think it is exhausting and will never add up to any real saves. In Canada the coupons don't amount to much.

December 5th, 2011, 08:01 AM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
I agree with Kris. You need to find a way to get a paper closer to the biggest city. I get my papers from near Minniapolis which is about 4 hours away. But I am able to get them through a local couponing site that arranges a drop off site in my city. There are sooo many more coupons than what I get in my local paper. If you can find stores that offer their own store coupons and will let you also use a manufacturer's coupon on the same product, it is a great way to save more. Target can be great to get deals since they have a ton of Target coupons on their site that can be matched with manufacter coupons. That is where I get a lot of my toothpaste, shampoo, deoderants, etc. I'm no expert on it, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I would be happy to help!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
December 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM
emmiejack0810's Avatar MELANIE
we should have like a little subforum or something for us couponers and those who want to start and maybe we can share etc...

thoughts

Thank you BAM for this INCREDIBLE Siggy

December 6th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I'm always up for coupon talk.

December 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
I'd love that!
December 6th, 2011, 12:37 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Stumbled across this:
Coupon Resources
December 7th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Mayhem) View Post
I have been attempting to coupon-ish. I have a wton of coupons but really it hardly amounts to anything. Most times the coupons are on brands I don't generally buy because of higher cost so half the time the coupon only gets me to the price I would have paid to purchase the cheaper version. I think it is exhausting and will never add up to any real saves. In Canada the coupons don't amount to much.
The coupons I find here in the US are really not much to talk about either. That is honestly why I am having hard time understanding what the lure is. I feel exactly the same way regarding that I end spending more when I have used coupons b/c if I had just bought generic or the cheaper brand I would usually have saved more all together.
For example I had a coupon for .55 off of 2 rolls of crescent dough (pillsbury) well i saw it was .20 cheaper to just get 2 off brand ones and not use the coupon at all. And I never even needed the crescent dough in the first place LOL! I was just trying to use a coupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&J's Mom View Post
I agree with Kris. You need to find a way to get a paper closer to the biggest city.
Hehe girl, I live in Dallas, I get the big city paper LOL )
December 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I'm definitely not an expert or a pro-couponer or anything, but I have started to save some money in the past few months since moving to KS. I can tell you what I do, as a rookie

I always find the best coupons in my paper/local mailers. Maybe I just have a good paper? But there are always two big-ish flyers full of coupons, plus each store ad has some store specific coupons. Sure, it takes awhile to sort through the coupons that don't apply to me, and for me a BIG thing is not to clip coupons I don't want. Otherwise, I think I SHOULD buy the item just to use the coupon and I spend more money than I need. Also, I have my dad save the coupons from HIS paper back in MI (since they have different coupons in different regions) for a couple weeks before I come visit and then I take his too

Another thing I do is try to substitute something I have a coupon for instead of something I normally buy. Like, you said you wouldn't normally buy crescent rolls in the first place. Okay, but maybe you buy pizza dough or cinnamon rolls normally. Instead of buying those, buy the crescent rolls and then use them to make mini pizzas and cinnamon rolls. Just an example, you may not use any of those, but you see my point? Or around Thanksigivng one of the stores had a coupon for a free turkey if you bought a ham. Great! I definitely wouldn't buy either of those normally, but I DO buy lunch meat every week and chicken or turkey breast. Instead, I bought the ham and got the free turkey. I still have the turkey in the freezer, sliced the ham into individual portions and froze it that way. Now, once a week, I pull out a bag and then use the ham for dinner or instead of lunch meat. A lot of times, you can save money by substituting like that.

Also, I have noticed at least here, the stores will know ahead of time what coupons come out that week and typically do NOT have those items on sale. However, if I stash the coupon for a few weeks, the item will typically come on sale at one of the grocery stores (we have 6 different grocery store chains in the area...eek!). It takes a few weeks of buying a paper and clipping/storing the coupons, and I have to be really organized to know when my coupons will expire/what I have. Also, I have to know stores and know prices. I know that some things are cheaper at HyVee than at Price Chopper and vice versa.

December 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Just thinking also that prob the reason I tend not to find good deals i suppose is most of the time I do all my grocering at walmart and I think I have found that their off brand tends to just be the cheapest out there most of the time. It seems that way at least. I am guessing if i shopped Albertsons etc that the coupons would probably be good deals especially if I did do the circular shopping on each grocery store to find out what was at the best deals etc. I know this is what my Grandma used to do when I lived with her.
December 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
The circulars are good.

WalMart store brands are definitely really inexpensive. Also, if I can buy it at Aldi, I usually just do that, since it's always cheapest there, even without a coupon. Especailly milk and cheese.

Often, I can use a coupon and the store sales (from the circular) to get a name brand item for as cheap as the WalMart brand, so I do that, since I don't always love the WalMart brand (sometimes it's fine, just depends on what it is) and also since I hate having to go into WalMart Also, sometimes I get really lucky and get a BETTER deal than the WalMart brands if I watch carefully. This past weekend, HyVee had General Mills cereal on sale for $1.59/box and then I had a coupon for $1.00 off two boxes of Chex cereal, so I got two boxes of Chex for $1.09 each.

Like I said, it's not ALWAYS that you can find such a great deal, and it takes a lot of patience, organization, and substitution.

Also, I have found that the regular grocery stores usually have better sales on name brand stuff than WalMart does. I'm guessing because WalMart has it's own brand that is less expensive, and they want people to just buy that?

December 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
my friend aubrey is a GREAT couponer...she posted this last night

All for $4.17

Cereal $1.79 if you bought 5 or more (mix and match) then we have the printable 75 cent off one that doubles, so only 29 cents a box. Yay!
Oh and the gum is free, it's 10 for $10 and the .55 doubles, and the Axe is on close out for $2.49 and I have printable $1.50 off.
December 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure how to share a link to another page, but on Targets site they have a coupon for a free $10 GC when you spend $50. expires 12/10

December 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Tiffany, just post the link! I had that coupon printed and now I can't find it again

December 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This one, Amy?

Target Coupons
December 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
I have a loca coupon website that keeps a coupon database of what inserts and date coupons are in. So for example if I get the grocery store add and I see that Hershey Chocolate Chips are on sale, I can type Hershey in the database and it will come back with ex. .50/1 SS 11/20 which means that there is a .50 cents off 1 bag of Hershey Chocolate Chips and I can find it in the Smart Source insert from 11/20. I buy 6 paper a week and keep the inserts all together by date in file folders. So in the example I used, I would have 6 of those coupons and could get 6 bags of Hershey Chocolate Chips (unless the coupon has restrictions like you can only use 4 in the same shopping trip or something). I think there are national coupon databases, but I haven't had a chance to check for ya.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search