speech referal

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I know that Gavin is way behind the majority of the babies here and I am ok with that but it still is hard to actually go and admit it for real {I have a speech referal for Gavin on Tuesday (it is just with a pedi, not an agency yet)}....... I knew Logan was behind when he was little but i still cried when i got home the day the pedi confirmed it... I am sure that it will be the same on Tuesday.

so this got me wondering how many words does your little one have, how much do they use them (do they have to be prompted etc) and are they totally clear?

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 2nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
He has said/can say a decent handful, but he regularly uses.....0.

He has finally started repeating and saying things that only I/his day care teachers understand, but again, he very rarely spontaneously says words, and doesn't have any he uses regularly (not even "mama").

December 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
Lucy is in the same boat as Gav! Honestly, it doesn't bother me a bit! Jillian was in speech for a tiny bit last month, and while we were there I discussed Lucy with the SP and she told me that Lucy is behind, but I shouldn't really be too worried at this point. She told me that it was up to me if I wanted to have her start speech or not at this point, and that it would be fine to wait it out a little longer (until 18 months). She said that if Lucy understands me (which she does), it's a good sign and she's probably just not talking because she doesn't want to - it's just her personality.

All that being said.. Lucy says "Dada" and very rarely says "Mama." When she gets excited or "babbles" she just says "bah bah bah bah." Only the past couple of weeks she's started trying to say a "real" word - "cat." Everything with fur, four legs or pointy ears is a "ca! ca! CA!"

If she doesn't make a drastic change over the next month or two, I'll get her a referral for speech. Right now I'm really not too worried about it.
December 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Celia says hi, doggy, more, daddy, and mama regularly. I get a little nervous about her speech because the perception i have just from polling mamas is that she is maybe just a little below average, But I'm doing my best to let it be and let her develop at her own pace until there's any obvious signs that she is behind. What is Gavin's vocabulary like?

December 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
QuaintandQuirky's Avatar Keri
Thanks for posting this. Amelia understands a lot, but speaks very little. She says, "Dada," "Mama," "Hi," "Dat" (that) "Do" (Dog) and that's it. I know she'll develop at her own pace, but the part that is hard for me is that she doesn't walk or really even stand. She just won't do it. I would feel better if she was a good talker but behind on walking or a good walker but behind on talking. She seems to be behind on everything. I love her and her personality, but I can't help but get bothered by it!

What does Gavin say?

December 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Add Kellen to the list He screams DA DA for Kensley, for mama, for doggie, for daddy and the like, but you KNOW who he's calling for He LOVES to just point and grunt, but he babbles A LOT and he says "da duh" for Thank You.

He really NEVER says anything besides mama and dada . Today, I was trying to teach him MMMOOOOOO like a cow and he got the MMMM part and added the UUUH, so it's mmmmuuuh like a kiss.

I am not worried, but we'll see what his doc says next week.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 3rd, 2011, 04:58 AM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Myles has a few words, but nothing crazy. He will try to repeat words when I ask him, but it hardly ever comes out clear. He says "Mama, Dada, Doggy, Please, Thank You, Wow" and then a few other random words, but they are very clear.

He understands me to so for the most part I haven't worried too much at that this point.

Hope your appointment goes okay Callie!

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

December 3rd, 2011, 05:19 AM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
I didn't realise so many had so many words! Ryker has MAMA! He'll say it 9 billion times. It's like his babble. He'll occasionally say Dada. And he'll say tickle clearly. That's it. Seems pretty good to me! lol He understands a good bit.

December 3rd, 2011, 05:42 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Gavin says Hi and uh-oh.... that is it.... he has babbled mama and dada before but he only has done that maybe once a month.
And he doesn't not attempt to copy anything that is said (this is one of the reasons i am more concerened)

I just know that the referal process here can take awhile so we are getting the ball rolling... i have my fingers crossed that he will follow Logan's path.... Logan was behind but by the time they were going to put him on the official list for help the drs determined that he was then advanced....... hoping G has a spirt like that too

It is good to know that we are not totally alone in our level..... if we learn anything great at the appointment I will share!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
~Constance~
Regular use: Mama, ub(up), uh-oh, yeah, hey, buh(for ball or book), brm(car noises for playing with or on vehicles), plus several signs
Irregular use: Owl(her favorite toy), nuh(no), dada(but she signs this as well), cat, duh(dog), wow, Ro(her brother), Uv you(love you) plus several signs
So, she's normal. No really behind or advanced.
What she says now is very similar to how much her siblings said at this age(and slightly less and less clear actually than my ds who has the worst delays).They still have significant problems in their language development. So it may be too early to tell if there is lasting problem with Gavin or if he's just directing his development growth into another area for now. Please do not work yourself up over it. I know I spent way too many years in panic over it. Two things that became my mantra and helped me cope: It's very unlikely that a problem now will limit my child's choices and abilities as an adult. And a problem with development does not reflect poorly on me or what I'm doing as a parent. It just is. Feeling guilty is paralyzing so don't torture yourself that way.
I don't think Fairfax will be delayed. She looks at me and tries to mimic my words at least 25% of the time. She babbles with intonation. She's learned and used signs. My older two didn't do those things. They looked at me in silence or laughed at me and didn't even try to mimic. But it's really still too early to tell.
December 3rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy's vocab is pretty limited as well. She says "dada" and "hi" on a regular basis. "Woof woof" and "Abbey" (our Westie) will come out occasionally. I've heard "mama" in her babbles, but she still won't say it with meaning. (Grrrrrrr!)

I know she understands a large variety of words, but she's just not super interested in saying many of them. She's too busy figuring out how to climb into the tub or onto the Christmas tree.
December 3rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
Super Mommy
Evan babbles constantly, and I pick up specific sounds that he consistently makes at specific things (if that makes sense). Like he says 'da' for yes. We have our own little language going on. Other than that it is pretty much just mama, dada, and blue.

December 3rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
Oh, Lucy also does not try to repeat words or sounds. She either laughs at me or just looks at me like I'm nuts.. The SP told me to start trying to get her to make animal sounds, but that only makes her laugh. I'll say "The cow says 'moooo'" and she'll laugh. Then I'll ask "What does the cow say?" If she chooses to answer, she'll say "dada" or "buh." So, not really working...
December 3rd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
Kierson has a pretty well rounded vocabulary and he uses it quite often. His mainly consist of : Mama, please, thank you, oh man!, uh oh, NO!, bye bye, ok, go go go, hi, eat.

I know there are other sounds and noises he makes, and I completely understand what he wants. He has always been very verbal.

I hope the appointment for Gavin goes smoothly. Keep us posted.

December 3rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
On her own, Teresa will say up, dada, no, uh-oh, WOW!, and bye-bye.

She tries to say down, but it is not clear at all! She also tries to say What? when she pretends to talk on the phone, but it comes out more like WHA?. We can get her to say hi when prompted, but she hasn't done it on her own yet.

Some days I can get her to try and copy me, other days she can't.

When Lukas had speech, his therapist also suggested doing the animal sounds at first. Sometimes Teresa will woof-woof for a dog and meow for a cat and say ho-ho for Santa. It TOTALLY depends on her mood though.
December 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Logan is obsessed with saying "dadaadadadadadadadada" CONSTANTLY...that is the one I hear over and over. He can say "all done", "ball" and "mama"(if he wants something) and occasionally he'll attempt other words like "shoes" or "book" or "bye" if I really really prompt him but the only constant is that freaking dadadadadadada.

Big hugs and definitely KUP...I'm sure he's just biding his time and once he starts up he just won't stop

December 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
HUGS Callie!! I want you to know that Gavin (IMO) is not necessarily behind, he might just be quiet??
I work in the ~1 yr old room at my day care and hardly any of them are saying anything except for "bye bye" and "uh oh". They just have random babble. I think where Gavin and several others are at is normal for this age. I wouldn't consider that to be delayed.
I think it has a LOT to do with personality as well. Some babies are more quiet and reserved, others babble a lot.
Eli is very "social" and will quite literally walk into a strangers arms. The word I hear most when people describe him is expressive. He is constantly babbling, which is why I think he has so many words in his vocab. Not all of his words are clear though (especially to someone who doesn't know him). I think that is OKAY though because they are still learning!
I'll be thinking of you when you go to your appointment! But I'm sure Gavin is doing just wonderfully!!
Please don't

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
December 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliMom View Post
HUGS Callie!! I want you to know that Gavin (IMO) is not necessarily behind, he might just be quiet??
I work in the ~1 yr old room at my day care and hardly any of them are saying anything except for "bye bye" and "uh oh". They just have random babble.
So true! Betsy is in the 15 - 24 month room and I have NEVER heard another child in there say any real word. Now, I'm only in there for a few minutes a day, but I was shocked at how "quiet" they are -- they laugh, they squeal, they babble a bit, but they don't say true words. I was hoping that by putting Betsy in that room early, she would pick up on some of their talking, but none of the kids are chatting yet.

I'm sure Gavin will be fine! (((Hugs)))
December 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Echoing Kelli, I also do not think Gavin is behind! Most of the kids I know/have seen in the years I was around a lot of them, most of them did not say 5+ words until around 18 months or so. I can't remember the number of words our drs usually ask us if they are saying. I remember Nathan was always at the bare minimum and now that kid, well, let's just say he doesn't have a problem with talking. (No idea where he gets that from )
December 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope Gavin's appointment goes well, and like a lot of others have already stated, I really think it's too early for him to be "behind". It is quite possible it is just his personality.

Gideon's vocabulary has just recently exploded. He has always babbled constantly (everyone says it sounds like Chinese when he talks ). He just recently (within the past two weeks) has started saying many more words. So far he says dada, mamma, dog, ball, no, hi, bye, more, truck, brrrrr (when he plays with/sees cars), eat, paci, juice, uh oh, kiss and yeah.

He signs eat, more, please (very, very rarely), drink and finished. and there are a few non-real words that he "says" like baba for cup, something that sounds like thhhssss for "I want that", etc.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search